An Insult to Volunteers

Running Wild

I was going to respond to a question in the Food and Lodging forum by S.T.G. about Whitestone Lake Resort but thought I would post here as my comments should be of interest to all snowmobilers. I have been to the 'WLR' many times in both the summer and winter and all the good things they say about it are true but what you should also realize is that won't advertise on the local trail map. They were not on the 2008 map , I don't think they were on last years map and they are not on this years map. This is an insult to all the volunteers who built and maintain two OFSC trails to within a few hundred feet of the front of their lodge. If they donate directly to a club or help out in other ways I am not aware of then I apologize for any of my comments that may be wrong. There are also many other business that benefit directly from snowmobilers that still refuse to support the clubs. A 2008 Parry Sound District map does not show the Nobel Wendy's and Tim Horton's as a sponsor or the Nobel ESSO but most snowmobilers in the area buy gas at the ESSO as well of hundreds of others passing thru and filling their tow vehicles on their way to other destinations. I'm sure there are many situtations like this across the province. Possibly the OFSC could supply an annual window decal to sponsoring business that states "OFSC Supporter" and the current year in bold size and not just a place to stick a yearly update sticker as many would not update but still display the original decal. To close off, I would also suggest to anyone planning a trip to call the lodge or whatever and ask them how they support the local snowmobile club. I for one will only be going to the Whitestone Lake Resort as a last resort.

RW

Hey RW.... That's too sad to here that they won't support the local club and I hope there traffic at their resort reflects their decision.... The trail by the resort is awesome and am really surprised that they won't support the local club...

Ahmic Lake Resort just down the road has supported their local club for years (I am a former Ahmic Laker)..... I would most definitely support a business that supports their local club before one that didn't..... I will add a plug for Duck Rock Resort and drop in there anytime that I am in the area for smokes and food.... I could not imagine Terry not supporting his local club.....

The lake trail up to Port Loring is one of my favourite rides anywhere..... Thanks for the update and have a great riding season!!

I dont get it?

Does it cost money to be on the map? Can they afford it? What is the situation before we bash them.

We're not bashing them.... Just discussing the fact that they won't support their local club.....imo, if the trail goes in front of your resort, you should be a club supporter and also buy an ad on the map...... And someday (imo again) the trail will be re-routed to a business that supports the club..... Unfortunately in this case, the trail starts in front of their resort whether they where there or not.... It's not to late for them to support the local club.....

I dont get it?

Does it cost money to be on the map? Can they afford it? What is the situation before we bash them.

We're not bashing them.... Just discussing the fact that they won't support their local club.....imo, if the trail goes in front of your resort, you should be a club supporter and also buy an ad on the map...... And someday (imo again) the trail will be re-routed to a business that supports the club..... Unfortunately in this case, the trail starts in front of their resort whether they where there or not.... It's not to late for them to support the local club.....

I know but I was just politely saying that maybe they couldnt afford it? Im not sure what it costs but Its a consideration. There are other ways to support your club.

In the end it only hurts your resort anyway. I personally have never heard of them.

I dont get it?

I know but I was just politely saying that maybe they couldnt afford it? Im not sure what it costs but Its a consideration. There are other ways to support your club.

They were advertising in some Snowmobile related publication or I never would have heard of them. Maybe it was on one of my old maps, I don't know, but it was definately sled related. I like to support businesses that support sledding.

Maybe they brush trail to their place or Volunteer in other ways.

If they donate directly to a club or help out in other ways I am not aware of then I apologize for any of my comments that may be wrong.

If they are volunteering we should be Thanking them.

I agree with the above ... just because they don't advertise on the local trail map doesn't mean they don't support snowmobiling as there are many other ways to do that. I appreciate all the volunteers out there and what they do to maintain the excellent trail system we have in Ontario, but again, that's not the only way to support snowmobiling. There are many, many different ways to support this sport and I believe everyone on this forum does their part.

I've been to Whitestone when I was looking at venues in the area to hold the OCR4K. They were extremely accommodating. The owner's son came out and spoke with me and discussed route options. And they were completely honest when they said they couldn't accommodate a group our size but indicated if we had a smaller group they would do whatever they could to make our stay a pleasant one (don't go there, STG ... or any of the other critters).

Supporting this sport comes in many different ways ... an insult to volunteers? I don't think so.

Just my two cents.

I agree with the above ... just because they don't advertise on the local trail map doesn't mean they don't support snowmobiling as there are many other ways to do that. I appreciate all the volunteers out there and what they do to maintain the excellent trail system we have in Ontario, but again, that's not the only way to support snowmobiling. There are many, many different ways to support this sport and I believe everyone on this forum does their part.

Yeah just because they don't advertise in a map doesn't mean they don't support the club . Many of our club members who own businesses don't advertise through the map , but they do donate 2 nights accommodations for our fundraisers , advertise us on their websites , ones a groomer op , one sits on the executive , many help do trail prep and loan us their heavy equipment to do trail work not to mention the biggest help out there LANDOWNER .

Before you flame a business KNOW THE FACTS !

I suppose if the local club had zero support from someone who makes money of the volunteers hard work and dedication , the club could always vote to re route the trail away from that business ! :wtf:

I suppose if the local club had zero support from someone who makes money of the volunteers hard work and dedication , the club could always vote to re route the trail away from that business ! :wtf:

Thats a slippery slope YC.............but I do agree with you!

It's their loss if they don't advertise on the OFSC map I think. I personally look to the map for accommodations when I'm looking to stay in an area that I'm not familiar with.

It's their loss if they don't advertise on the OFSC map I think. I personally look to the map for accommodations when I'm looking to stay in an area that I'm not familiar with.

I do the same thing if I don't know the area ... or I'll ask people from the area what their recommendations would be. But not everyone is a member of OC ;) and might not have access to that information unless they see it on the map. Businesses really are only hurting themselves in the long run if they don't include themselves on the map.

Having said that ... although $500 may not seem like much, I'm sure there are some businesses out there that would love the extra income from advertising on the map but just can't afford to put out that money. I don't think we should penalize them for that ... if we support them this year, next year might be different.

Wow....what a beautiful place....it's too bad they could not accomodate a large group...their winter rates look quite reasonable.

I believe that we have had similar issues in our area. The trail used to run (several years back) almost right up to a motel located just outside of Goderich. The owners were the type that were irritated by the snowmobiles instead of looking at it as a boost in business. Now the trail stops and turns about 2 miles away from there and they get next to no business in the winter now.

In the end it only hurts your resort anyway. I personally have never heard of them.

A very nice resort on an awesome lake......

That happens all over place

Lots of time the trail happens to be there and can't re route out spite

They are not doing it to insult volounteers but rather why should I pay for something that is already there attitude sorta like the old cottage trail argument many use not to buy permits

That said it is a piss off, but cutting access to one place also will cut access to the snowmobilers that use that trail

You know guys I cottage on that lake. My eldest daughter works at the resort. It seems every year they're comtemplating selling and getting out. These are good people and they've been really good to my daughter. They're accomodating and gracious. But the business just isn't coming their way. They suffer through some winters because the sledders just aren't coming by like they used to. These past 2 summers have seen many people cancel resevations because of weather. I don't know, but maybe you should give some business' the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this sort of thing? These aren't the good old days when everybody spent money in central Ontario ALL year round. Even the summer crowds have dwindled. They're not doing really well in that business and maybe that's why $500 needs to be saved? Just my 2 cents.

You know guys I cottage on that lake. My eldest daughter works at the resort. It seems every year they're comtemplating selling and getting out. These are good people and they've been really good to my daughter. They're accomodating and gracious. But the business just isn't coming their way. They suffer through some winters because the sledders just aren't coming by like they used to. These past 2 summers have seen many people cancel resevations because of weather. I don't know, but maybe you should give some business' the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this sort of thing? These aren't the good old days when everybody spent money in central Ontario ALL year round. Even the summer crowds have dwindled. They're not doing really well in that business and maybe that's why $500 needs to be saved? Just my 2 cents.

You are so right. A lot of businesses are struggling in today's economy. Particularly those in the tourism business. I hear people talk about how little $500.00 is. To some it is chump change. To others it could mean the difference between eating or not this month. Whitestone had what I thought was a fantastic deal advertised in the Toronto Star last winter. There was a group of us that made reservations and then we got rained out so we had to cancel. When we called you could almost here the disappointment in their voices as they had been booked solid for the Friday to Sunday until the rain came now they had almost everyone cancel. I am sure they had already ordered food and scheduled staff accordingly. I left my deposit on hold with them in the hopes that the conditions would improve but with it later in the season they never really did. So many people assume that because someone has a large resort that they are always flush with cash. Not always the case.

went there this past weekend for a turkey dinner. It really is a nice place. I sled in this area a few times a year, might consider staying there this time round.

You are so right. A lot of businesses are struggling in today's economy. Particularly those in the tourism business. I hear people talk about how little $500.00 is. To some it is chump change. To others it could mean the difference between eating or not this month. Whitestone had what I thought was a fantastic deal advertised in the Toronto Star last winter. There was a group of us that made reservations and then we got rained out so we had to cancel. When we called you could almost here the disappointment in their voices as they had been booked solid for the Friday to Sunday until the rain came now they had almost everyone cancel. I am sure they had already ordered food and scheduled staff accordingly. I left my deposit on hold with them in the hopes that the conditions would improve but with it later in the season they never really did. So many people assume that because someone has a large resort that they are always flush with cash. Not always the case.

agreed that it is harder than you think to make a living in this industry. How much did this add cost compared to the map add

Not so much in this case, but in some cases sometimes it takes a few carrots to attract a rabbit. Show a biz that traditionaly doesn't see much sled biz, a little sled biz, and you'd be suprized at how much they show in return. Dealt with it first hand here with a few of our club sponsors.

Not so much in this case, but in some cases sometimes it takes a few carrots to attract a rabbit. Show a biz that traditionaly doesn't see much sled biz, a little sled biz, and you'd be suprized at how much they show in return. Dealt with it first hand here with a few of our club sponsors.

Two Large Carrotts and Im attracted! ;)

agreed that it is harder than you think to make a living in this industry. How much did this add cost compared to the map add

The map ad is I believe about $500.00 but the distribution is much smaller. If they were to rely on sledders only they would surely go under although we do represent a significant number of their customers. I am guessing they went after the most bang for the buck in appealing to the largest audience possible. In the weekend travel section of the Toronto Star I don't know how much a 1 inch by 2 inch ad would cost but then again it doesn't cost a whole lot to put a classified in the newspaper by an individual. This way they would touch those who just want a weekend winter getaway and numerous others.

The map ad is I believe about $500.00 but the distribution is much smaller. If they were to rely on sledders only they would surely go under although we do represent a significant number of their customers. I am guessing they went after the most bang for the buck in appealing to the largest audience possible. In the weekend travel section of the Toronto Star I don't know how much a 1 inch by 2 inch ad would cost but then again it doesn't cost a whole lot to put a classified in the newspaper by an individual. This way they would touch those who just want a weekend winter getaway and numerous others.

I could understand $500 being a little steep for a small business. The club maps have a limited audience. This not to say that I disagree with the costs, just sympathizing with the small business financial model.

They have donated a prize to the local radio station here in Barrie for a weekend getaway and they are getting a ton of air time here - great advertising. It's a great way to get advertising by donating their services which is costing them no up front out of pocket cash (I am making an assumption here). A fantastic way for a small business with limited funds for advertising to get some good coverage! Smart!

I am wondering who wanted the trails there, did the business or was it or the snowmobile club ??? Did the snowmobile club put a trail at this resorts doorstep and wonder why there are not buying a map add. It's a huge benefit for the snowmobile club to have there trails end at places where food, drinks and lodging are offered, wouldn't be much fun if you just drove circles in the bush all day. Keep in touch with the owners and get a feel for them, maybe the snowmobile club and the resort owners can host a snowmobile drag one day this winter to get people to the lodge and to get the word out on snowmobiling. Something like that.

Archived