Thunder Bay Trip

ridewot

23 hours ago, ridewot said:

Has anyone every made a trip to Thunder Bay area ? From  Geraldton or any other area?  Am  i dreaming ? LOL

trail.jpg

Discussed many times on this and other forums. A number of guys have tried to figure out a route but I have never seen anything in print about it being completed. Seems like hiring someone with a trailer to get you from Geraldton to west of Thunder Bay is the best bet.

• Like 1

15 +years ago, give or take, that gap was smaller, but still needed you to arrange for a trailer shuttle. A trip across Canada, has been done once that I'm aware of, again, likely about 10 to 15+ years ago by  group of guys who rode from out west back to Quebec (I think it was that way). They had support from many clubs along the way, and maybe even Ski-Doo at the time.

Losing the trail out of White River north thru Caramat and up to Longlac is a good example of how tough it is to support\maintain  trails in sparsely populated areas.

That part of the province is pretty "sparse".

(Our daughter just drove that way last Spring on her military posting to Alberta, even in the car (Toyota Corrolla) , she had to plan her fuel stops carefully.)

• Like 2

No input on Thunder Bay. But the last comment ( Corolla...gas ) made me think about an article I read about EVs and northwestern Ontario. Apparently, they need many more metered ( public ) EV chargers. Folks pull up to what should be a working EV charger - not. Call a tow truck. No other choice vFlatheads did a good business hauling EVs ( summer ).

Tough in a car. I'd imagine some  great planning necessary for sledding up there. Email the District. 

Good luck. And really hoping someone here has input. Bucket list destination.

• Like 1

You are correct, there are no groomed trails between Geraldton and Kakabeka Falls (just west of Thunder Bay).  There used to be, but the lack of volunteers shut down the trail.  The Thunder Bay does offer a trailer service in this area.  A similar gap exists east to Marathon as well for the same reason.  

There was a writ in one of the magazines very recently about a trip that they took to the Kenora District.

Sounded like a good trip.

5 hours ago, Ox said:

There was a writ in one of the magazines very recently about a trip that they took to the Kenora District.

Sounded like a good trip.

Rich Saul did a trip last year from west of T.Bay and posted about it on this forum somewhere but I believe they were told to avoid the local trails around Kenora.

19 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Rich Saul did a trip last year from west of T.Bay and posted about it on this forum somewhere but I believe they were told to avoid the local trails around Kenora.

We were advised to bypass kenora mainly because we didn't plan to stay there overnight. 

We are planning on returning this March with wifes in this year so we are looking into the best route to include accommodation in kenora this trip.

Looking easy on the maps. But that's as far as we have got so far.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I rode that stretch a couple times in the '99 and 2000 era.  Started here in Wisconsin and rode around the lake.  I probably have old maps around somewhere showing the trail.  The piece from Schreiber to Marathon was the most rugged trail corridor I've EVER been on.  With some local guides and mountain machines I imagine it's still being ridden.  Nipigon to Geraldton was pretty routine - possibly gas line corridor if memory serves.

I've never understood how a place like Hornepayne can run a top notch trail system and yet Thunder Bay, population 120,000 can't get it's act together to have a trail.  The terrain north of town to Nipigon was pretty mundane as I recall ( some big rollers in there if I'm thinking right ).

The trail thru Thunder Bay ran right thru the shopping mall parking lot.  I had to get off my sled to push the cross-walk button at a busy intersection.  Worse than getting thru Timmins....

Someone here probably will know, but if I recall, the Marathon club lost a volunteer that sunk a groomer and drowned in the cab about that era and they didn't have the heart to carry on and the club folded.  Maybe that was just bar talk...  Would love to see the Caramat connection made so I could re-visit some of those routes with my now adult sons I did regularly 20 years ago.

Manitouwadge / Pic River. (trail to Marathon)

Now there is a big snowmachine bridge over the river - right next to the hwy - to keep "Top D" status - that seldom ever sees a skidoo at all.

One million of your permit Loonies to git accrost...

Actually, it sorta seems like The Queen backed that up a fair amount. (?)

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.7072175,-86.2824653,3a,60y,317.65h,89.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMx7PrlMoPZTgosssB8qw6Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

And absolutely does the Marathon area have HUGE country with trails to match!

Or at least they did back when we were there.

Sounds like about the same time you were.

They could have moved some stuff around by now?

They actually have a club some years yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Geraldton to Nipigon is doable.  Just follow the Natural Gas pipeline.  Bring Gas!  As you near the Nipigon River, you'll cross a road that may or may not be plowed, that runs toward Cameron Falls dam.  That's about the only way to cross the river.  When you cross the river, you'll ditch bang for a while until you get to hydro lines, that you follow most of the way to Nipigon.  Most of this route will have snowmobile traffic.  From there, maybe best to try and find somebody to trailer you.  Sorry. My trailer contact has moved on.  Good luck. 

• Like 5

Good to see you check in, and post here BP. Good info! Ski