Used Purchases

Spiderman

Was curious about others habits - maybe now because we're selling one - but if/when any of you guys are out shopping for used sleds - if you're serious on one - do you guys have lien searches run on them?

I bought my Cat used off a kid - it was used one weekend.

When we were firm on a deal - I ran a lien search and low and behold - there was one on it through whomever provided the financing for Cat at the time.

I had the kid pay it out and provide me a copy of the discharge before I finalised the deal.

Am I crazy - or is that the norm?

With sled prices now what they are - would it not be risky to not do this?

Just curious

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Was curious about others habits - maybe now because we're selling one - but if/when any of you guys are out shopping for used sleds - if you're serious on one - do you guys have lien searches run on them?

When we were firm on a deal - I ran a lien search and low and behold - there was one on it through whomever provided the financing for Cat at the time.

I had the kid pay it out and provide me a copy of the discharge before I finalised the deal.

Just curious

Don’t sellers have to provide used vehicle information packages now? which show if any liens exist? Might not apply to sleds I am not sure. Haven’t bought anything used privately for awhile. 

29 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Don’t sellers have to provide used vehicle information packages now? which show if any liens exist? Might not apply to sleds I am not sure. Haven’t bought anything used privately for awhile. 

Not sure - never sold a car before or bought a used one either.

Last sled I sold was in 2013 - which was to a buddy - anything before that was always traded in. The one I bought I ran my own lien search on it.

Was curious on all this - so this is good discussion :)

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

The seller’s package doesn’t  apply to sleds . My last few sleds I’ve sold i run them through my dealer so I save the tax on the new ones and the buyer has confidence there’s no liens . 

• Thanks 1

I am sure I can google it, but how do you run a lien search on a sled?

I have sold a few sleds and no one that made the purchase, did this, that I know of.....of course there never was a lien on any of them either :)

I always bought new or the one demo from a dealer.

I have bought more used dirt bikes in the past though - never ever a search on them, but times are different now! 

All my last ones also, I run through my dealer.

7 hours ago, stoney said:

I am sure I can google it, but how do you run a lien search on a sled?

I have sold a few sleds and no one that made the purchase, did this, that I know of.....of course there never was a lien on any of them either :)

I always bought new or the one demo from a dealer.

I have bought more used dirt bikes in the past though - never ever a search on them, but times are different now! 

Last time I did it, I used the Insurance Search Bureau

11 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Just curious

I've never done a lien search. Probably a good idea though.

11 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yes, legally, if you sell a used vehicle in Ontario you are required to provide the used vehicle package to the purchaser.

That said, I've bought several trucks over the years and never received a used vehicle package. I usually get one for them when I switch over the ownership, just out of curiosity.

Carfax.ca will do lien searches for you includes 10 province checks.

• Like 1