Snowmobile Maintenance / Purchases

stoney

5 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

ha ha   not really a tall boy guy   except good craft beer  then in a real glass  glass   reg bottles are for me      now wait for the slider replacement  that's a different animal  🙃

I like my cans, easier to travel with and fits better in garage beer fridge :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

same here but buy oil filter and gaskets from dealer  and buy oil somewhere else .No warranty so dont have to worry about that .Very easy after you do it a few times .Sliders pretty basic too

Yup   one of our riding buddies says that   mobile 1 oil  its what his c8 corvette calls for and thats what he uses     Im in warranty and think best to go with BRP stuff 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoney said:

I like my cans, easier to travel with and fits better in garage beer fridge :)

yup for sure on that   now that we have a permanent trailer I got into cans  in my Bubba mug   a must when you leave the site LOL  We are getting beer here at the brewery     and dont laugh   3 cases for 90 bucks all in    its Laker  lager    Deal is Sun Mon Tues   but its a pain to take to the trailer    The brewery had cans on a deal before a long weekend but I wasnt home  arg 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Yup   one of our riding buddies says that   mobile 1 oil  its what his c8 corvette calls for and thats what he uses     Im in warranty and think best to go with BRP stuff 

Mobil one is good oil though. You ever buy oil change kits from Amazon. They sell brp ones I noticed. 

i use mobile one ,buy when on sale .Filter and gaskets around 30 bucks.Mobile one for almost 5L $35 or less on sale .skidoo oil change kit ,$118

• Like 2

Most manufactures you may look up online for part numbers per your application. Filters can be cross referenced. Do your home work on filters, some low quality, some very good. Just because its a brand name and company has a good marketing progam does not neccessary make it a quality item. If your in warranty I would use OEM filter. I would think gaskets have to come from dealer?

My old Artic Cat sled had a spin on filter. New Doo I think is a cartridge type that will require gasket or o ring?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAT RIDER said:

Most manufactures you may look up online for part numbers per your application. Filters can be cross referenced. Do your home work on filters, some low quality, some very good. Just because its a brand name and company has a good marketing progam does not neccessary make it a quality item. If your in warranty I would use OEM filter. I would think gaskets have to come from dealer?

My old Artic Cat sled had a spin on filter. New Doo I think is a cartridge type that will require gasket or o ring?

Correct, oil filter cartridge with o-ring for oil filter compartment lid.

The Doo kit is just easy, imo…regardless of warranty or not. 
I think around 120 ish. 
comes with oil, filter and o-rings/seals for both filter and two drain plugs. 
Sure could buy for less, not sure how much less, maybe 80 bucks if you piece it all out, just a guess. 
But to each their own. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

i use mobile one ,buy when on sale .Filter and gaskets around 30 bucks.Mobile one for almost 5L $35 or less on sale .skidoo oil change kit ,$118

Sorry, I missed this reply - there ya go, 60 to 70 to piece it out!

Ageed , I use OEM kits and oil, just putting it out there for whom choose to do otherwise, one of my riding buddies just picked up a new 24 Turbo R doo, just over 27K out the door, No point in cheaping out on iol and filters!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

How do you get proper filter and gaskets part number for a snowmobile though? Thanks 

i buy filter and gaskets from skidoo,reason i bought my own oil is because skidoo kit use to have only semi synthetic for 1200

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stoney said:

Correct, oil filter cartridge with o-ring for oil filter compartment lid.

The Doo kit is just easy, imo…regardless of warranty or not. 
I think around 120 ish. 
comes with oil, filter and o-rings/seals for both filter and two drain plugs. 
Sure could buy for less, not sure how much less, maybe 80 bucks if you piece it all out, just a guess. 
But to each their own. 

You ever order kits online and have them delivered? 

• 1 month later...

FWIW changing the oil on any engine without changing the filter is like putting on a clean pair of pants while still wearing a shitty diaper!! Oil and filters are cheap! Engines are not!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I have not been overly motivated to work on the sled with the slow start, but other than waiting for a few more pieces/kit to arrive and be installed, most is done….hoping last pieces come in this week so all can be buttoned up and ready for some trails. 

- Trailer guides installed/replaced

- Fuel tank sock and filter replaced and tank cleaned 

- Primary clutch serviced, cleaned sheaves and replaced belt

- Sliders replaced

- skid shocks both rebuilt and inspected skid/idler wheels, all good

- Limiter strap adjuster installed

- found broken bolt on toe hold so replaced that

- replaced comfort seat with a used/new to me seat 

With the lack of activity around here as of late, figured I’d update with something sledding related…other than the crazy weather. 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2024 at 10:16 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

I believe the oil filter interval on the Apexes was every 20,000kms after the initial oil change after break in. 

That is way too long on any internal combustion engine. Even with full synthetic, and a good quality filter I try not to go over 10,000 km on autos, trucks. On our motorcycles (street), it is less than 3000kms. Higher revving/load engines, will need more frequent intervals, throw in condensation, and you need more changes, more often. It is cheap insurance, for motor longevity. Ski

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

That is way too long on any internal combustion engine. Even with full synthetic, and a good quality filter I try not to go over 10,000 km on autos, trucks. On our motorcycles (street), it is less than 3000kms. Higher revving/load engines, will need more frequent intervals, throw in condensation, and you need more changes, more often. It is cheap insurance, for motor longevity. Ski

I was thinking the exact same - that is nuts and who would do that, but than again some also reuse old filters too to save a buck or two and a few minutes.....LOL!

My truck with full synthetic is 10K, before the gauge tells me too.

I would never leave old oil in my sled after the winter whether it be engine oil or chain case......although I did always leave my 2-stroke oil in the canister and never changes that...... :)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:16 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

I believe the oil filter interval on the Apexes was every 20,000kms after the initial oil change after break in. 

You are correct Ransomair. I just checked my manual for the 1049 engine and that's exactly what it states. While I prefer not to adhere to that schedule I don't believe for a minute that Yamaha would put that in print if they weren't confident in that schedule.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You are correct Ransomair. I just checked my manual for the 1049 engine and that's exactly what it states. While I prefer not to adhere to that schedule I don't believe for a minute that Yamaha would put that in print if they weren't confident in that schedule.

Curious, if you had a warranty claim, how did Yamaha handle them?

I ask because I recall people always stating they were the worst for dealing with warranty stuff, but of course you know you only hear the bad on the interwebs and sometimes there is more to the story than meets the eye.

12 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I fully agree. However, I change my filter when I change my oil.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

I fully agree. However, I change my filter when I change my oil.

LOL - nothing worse than having a shower and putting on dirty underwear or better yet, putting on a clean pair of pants while still wearing a shitty diaper.......lol

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They (Yamaha) dont care. They just need to get you through the warranty period. Then they can wash their hands of you. Just like Toyota and the 10,000 mile (mile) oil changes... No thank you Toyota. Ski