Gaspe Trip Thread - Info, Ideas, Routes, Accommodations, Home Base Start, etc....

stoney

There has been a few on here that have mentioned possible trip this year to this region thus far, myself included (hopefully), so figured I would start a thread that those with experience and knowledge of the area based on past trips could share to help others looking to make this bucket list trip!

the-great-gaspe-map.jpg

chok7300.jpg

20140317032708339-1.jpg

fde6eb115ba2965f4282e5540e33083a.jpg

• Like 3

Good idea Stoney! 

So I think the first decision is usually to decide on a starting/ending point.

We have started as far west as Victoriaville and at Bernieres (south shore @ Quebec City) the reason being that we don't like driving when we could be riding. For most of the trips we started in Riviere Du Loup at the Hotel Universal. They have outside sled compound as well as a truck/trailer compound and pretty much anything else you might need like gas right next door and trail out  the back of the parking lot.  RDL offers the opportunity to ride south and then east through some gorgeous area or east on the main trail (5) which goes all the way around Gaspe. RDL also let us spend 2 extra days riding in more scenic areas of Gaspe.

The other large centre starting point would be Rimouski (a couple of hours east of RDL). Its pretty close to the junction of 5 east along the north shore and 5 west from Amqui. Personally, I would never start any further east than Rimouski. Of course, the number of days you have available to ride will have a bearing on where you might start. From our area near Kitchener Waterloo RDL is about all we want to do on a drive day.

I'll leave it there for now as I'm sure others will no doubt have other start/end locations to mention.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We did it in 2020 and it was a great experience.   

We started in RDL and left our trucks at Hotel Universal.    We had 8 guys in our group and made the decision that we were going to have a chase truck/trailer with all our stuff and a spare sled on board.   We drew cards and the 2 best cards didnt have to drive the truck.    

We didnt have big mileage days.    We are were on the trail at the crack of 10am and always were at the hotel by 5pm.  

Our trip was as follows.

RDL to Amqui.  Hotel Universal - Auberge L'Ambassadeur (buffet dinner but no issues).  

Amqui to New Richmond - Hotel Francis (excellent dinner) 

New Richmond to Murdochville (the best trail of the entire trip - possibly the best trail I have ever ridden!) - Hotel Copper - You have to say you stayed there but it was the worst place we stayed all week.   Bar food 

Murdochville to Kap Chat - some of the guys went back country riding with a guide for the day.    The rest of us sat in the cabin and played cards, sat in the hot tub, drank etc...   We rented a cabin Auberge Nature Chic Choc and got food from the grocery store to eat in.    Really nice cabins with hot tubs 

Kap Chat to Rimouski - I cant remember where we stayed?    I think maybe Comfort Inn?    We went to a Single Moms Fundraiser that night so everything is a bit of a blur.   

Rimouski back to RDL (we were back to the truck by noon)

We could have easily knocked 1 day off this route but you never know what kind of weather you may run into.    My buddy got stuck in a motel for 2 days on the same trip a few years earlier.    It turns out that we did get storm stayed on the way home and spent the night sleeping in a high school gym in Montmagny.    

IMG_0326.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

2235FDD5-02C4-415E-ACB2-A93F9E8CB97E.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0385.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

• Like 8

Here are my tips for planning a big trip, especially if you are going with a large group.    

1 - Dont plan super hi mileage days.     I can put on iron man type of miles no problem with 1 other guy.    Once you get 6+ guys in a group, I try to plan all my days in Eastern Quebec the 250kms range.    With 6-8 guys, everything takes a long time inc getting gas, smoke breaks, pee breaks etc....   I try to plan everything so we will be at the hotel by 5pm.   This way if we have an issue we will be at the hotel by 7pm (hopefully).   It gets pretty cold there once the sun goes down and as we get older no one can see as well at night.   :(

2 - Make sure everyone in your group has a serviced and well maintained sled.   On this Gaspe trip we had 2 sleds break down and continously fought with a starter bendix on an older MXZ800 that just wasnt serviced properly.    1 of our break downs was on a brand new sled so sh-t can just happen but if you have a well maintained sled, the chances decrease dramatically.   

The chase truck is awesome on a long saddlebag ride.   It is so nice to not have to carry around all your crap for an entire week.     I just rolled a suit case into the trailer every morning and had a big rubbermaid tote with all my extra oil, parts etc...   I brought my Macbook in my suit case and could answer emails at the hotel every night.   I even did a Zoom meeting before we left one day.   I would not have brought it otherwise.    We were in constant contact with chase truck as we had a couple of SPOTs with us and we could see where he was and he could see where we were.     We actually needed him when the new sled quit.    It turned out we were only 25kms apart.    We towed the sled to the nearest crossroad and there he was waiting for us.    Dragged the broken sled onto the trailer and jumped on the spare.    We were on our way in 15 mins and the chase guy took the sled to a BRP dealer who fixed it that day.    Turned out there was a wire shorting on the frame causing the sled to go into limp mode.     I lucked out when it was my turn to drive the truck.    I had to drive from Amqui to New Richmond and left a bit earlier than the rest of the guys.     I got to New Richmond, checked us all into the hotel, bought beer and snacks at the Metro across the street and decided to pull my sled out and go for a rip.    I knew the route everyone was taking so I just hit the trail and started riding towards them.   I ended up stopping at a club house about 85kms in and just waited for the rest of my crew to show up.   I had a snack and a beer while waiting with some guys I met from Woodstock ON and rode back to New Richmond with my guys so I drove the truck and still got 170kms on for the day.  

If your guys ride at different speeds, dont be afraid to split up and meet at the hotel.    We did that 1 day and it was great.    Part of our group liked fiddling around on their Backcountrys off trail and the other guys were on pure trail sleds and couldnt go off trail.   The trail guys just went our own way 1 day on a completely different route and knew where we were meeting the other guys that night.    No hard feelings with either group.    I was in the trail group and we had an amazing day riding along the St Lawrence.   

* There will be other things that will come to mind and I will add to the list *

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ridden the Gaspe several times now and will likely go back again this year. Will add some points here:

1. Starting Point: like PLC stated everything for lodging etc will depend on starting point you chose. We start from Motel Mont Joli, in Mont Joli which is another 1 1/2 hour drive east of RDL. The reason start here is they provide a rescue service if you have a machine break down mid trip. Leave your truck keys with them and their maintenance guy will come get you if needed. We’ve had two trips with broke down sled and they came picked up sled and rider. I haven’t emailed them yet to confirm they are offering this service this winter. Mont Joli is 10 hour drive from Oshawa so works well for us. For those of you west of Toronto would be a long one day drive so RDL likely would be better option.

Mileage: We average 300 km a day on guy trips. Lot of Gaspe isn’t fast riding. It’s not Cochrane or western Quebec.

Hotels: Busy time is mid Feb to March 10th. If going in that time l would have rooms booked, especially if need 3 or more rooms. 
Like every where hotels are having difficult time getting help. Even worst in the Gaspe as it’s mainly rural towns. If hotel web site says they have a restaurant doesn’t mean it will be open, or open every night of the week. Confirm when booking your rooms.

Copper hotel in Murdochville has no online booking option and have never received a reply to email. Best way to book there is call. Ask for Jack, he is the owner and speaks good English. Like Scotty said there is nothing great about the Copper but it’s the only option in that area. 

Weather: is the biggest challenge in the Gaspe. Seems every winter they get about three blizzards that will mess things up for three days. It’s the winds off the ocean on the north shore that cause major drifting for a couple of days. Takes the clubs a few days to get things back in shape again. If you see they are forecasting one of these storms during the week of your trip you are wasting your time going. Better to go to Quebec City and head up to Lac St Jean and Mont Valin or some other area in Quebec. Or New Brunswick.

Route: the outer loop following the perimeter of the Gaspe misses some of the best and most scenic trails. The interior trails are some of the best.

Chic Choc trail between Murdochville and LaCache.

595N and the 587S are ones we always do.

Gaspe is as good as it gets if you get good weather.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Mileage: We average 300 km a day on guy trips. Lot of Gaspe isn’t fast riding. It’s not Cochrane or western Quebec.

For sure.    I generally ride pretty hard/fast and after a full week in Gaspe, my max speed on my GPS said 129km/h.    

I buy a CAA RV Premier Membership and have used it 2x to have a sled picked up with a flat bed and taken back to our truck.    

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Route: the outer loop following the perimeter of the Gaspe misses some of the best and most scenic trails. The interior trails are some of the best.

Agreed.    That trail is possibly the best trail to ride in the entire province of Quebec.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Ridden the Gaspe several times now and will likely go back again this year. Will add some points here:

1. Starting Point: like PLC stated everything for lodging etc will depend on starting point you chose. We start from Motel Mont Joli, in Mont Joli which is another 1 1/2 hour drive east of RDL. The reason start here is they provide a rescue service if you have a machine break down mid trip. Leave your truck keys with them and their maintenance guy will come get you if needed. We’ve had two trips with broke down sled and they came picked up sled and rider. I haven’t emailed them yet to confirm they are offering this service this winter. Mont Joli is 10 hour drive from Oshawa so works well for us. For those of you west of Toronto would be a long one day drive so RDL likely would be better option.

Hotels: Busy time is mid Feb to March 10th. If going in that time l would have rooms booked, especially if need 3 or more rooms. 
Like every where hotels are having difficult time getting help. Even worst in the Gaspe as it’s mainly rural towns. If hotel web site says they have a restaurant doesn’t mean it will be open, or open every night of the week. Confirm when booking your rooms.

Copper hotel in Murdochville has no online booking option and have never received a reply to email. Best way to book there is call. Ask for Jack, he is the owner and speaks good English. Like Scotty said there is nothing great about the Copper but it’s the only option in that area. 

Weather: is the biggest challenge in the Gaspe. Seems every winter they get about three blizzards that will mess things up for three days. It’s the winds off the ocean on the north shore that cause major drifting for a couple of days. Takes the clubs a few days to get things back in shape again. If you see they are forecasting one of these storms during the week of your trip you are wasting your time going. Better to go to Quebec City and head up to Lac St Jean and Mont Valin or some other area in Quebec. Or New Brunswick.

Excellent info. Fuse6! 

We have always made a point of riding the trail from Murdockville to La Cache. If you happen to have a sunny morning leaving Murdockville that trail is about as picturesque as it gets. That said we have ridden it when it was a challenge with large drifts forming since the last grooming. Have ridden the road when it got too tough. I have never understood why the Quebec map doesn't put the trail # on it for that trail. I was told once that its because its considered a local trail. Poor excuse in my estimation.  595 north from LaCache is nice as well. 597 south to 5 from Murdockville is also one that should be on the plan.  We would rather spend time on those interior trails than riding the south shore from Perce to Point a la Croix  however if you are riding a loop you pretty much need to go  through PALC to enjoy the awesome trails northwest of there like trail 587. If you feel the need to sqeeze the trigger, 597 south from 5 to Mudochville used to often be referred to as Piston Alley. Really, its all awesome unless its in a storm or just after one.  We always get our rooms all booked in advance because we know where we like to stay and eat and can most often get side by side rooms that way.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Great information, thanks.  I hope to do Gaspe in a couple of years.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone confirm why mid Feb to early March is the most popular for this region?

Is it due to conditions or the bitter cold that Jan can usually bring or other reasons. 

Thank you!

52 minutes ago, stoney said:

Can anyone confirm why mid Feb to early March is the most popular for this region?

Is it due to conditions or the bitter cold that Jan can usually bring or other reasons. 

Thank you!

Because it’s generally cold AF in Jan.  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hockey, curling, spring break for school kids. it is that way almost everywhere. Ski

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Because it’s generally cold AF in Jan.  😂

Lol, I think we did only one QC trip in Jan over the years and you are right, it was frigging cold, never rode in such cold temps before, and with a mx helmet to boot, duck tape came in handy that year. 
Each year I remember that but other forget and suggest Jan trip, I’m like, no way, let’s aim for Feb :rotflmao:

The dream team. Ready to ride by 7:30, disappointed if we don't do at least 400km a day. All giggles on the 500+km days. 

We don't let a break down ruin our trip. Get it on a flat bed and off to the dealer, those Quebec mechanics get it done in a matter of hours. 

All shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

sled1.jpg

sled3.jpg

sled4.jpg

sled5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, coldfinger said:

those Quebec mechanics get it done in a matter of hours.

They sure do. We found that in both Ontario and Quebec, if your sled was relatively new they would rob parts from showroom sleds to get you going. One time in Amos the dealer needed engine parts for my buddies 4 year old sled. They didn't have them but the mechanic knew a local that had a wrecked sled the same. The mechanic went that evening and got the parts needed of the wreck and had us go riding by 10 AM the next morning.  My feeling is that those dealers know if they take care of transcient issues you won't go elsewhere and it's extra business for them. The locals will still be there after you're gone so they will leave a local sled for later and fix the transcient.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

595 north from LaCache is nice as well

PLC mentioned the 595N trail. This is one of the most scenic trails in the Gaspe. Most people miss it because it’s not part of the perimeter loop. I missed it the first 4 times rode in the Gaspe. Saw pictures on another forum and knew had to check it out.

So what we do now is when we get to the 595 trail while riding across the north shore east of Matane we ride south down the 595 for 20 km. This takes you right through the Chic Choc Mountains. Riding down 20-25 km takes you through the best part of the 595. Then turn around and head back up to trail 5 and continue the loop.

Believe the highest mountain is Mont Albert.

IMG_0827.png

IMG_5858.jpeg

IMG_2226.jpeg

IMG_6218.jpeg

IMG_5825.jpeg

• Like 1

Great topic!  On our list for this coming season.

Question for the group:  what ferries are operating in the winter and allow sleds to cross the St Lawrence?  We might come from a long way (Timmins) by sled and need to cross over to the south shore to get to Gaspe.  Either the RDL or Trois-Pistoles ferries?

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, jacrider said:

Great topic!  On our list for this coming season.

Question for the group:  what ferries are operating in the winter and allow sleds to cross the St Lawrence?  We might come from a long way (Timmins) by sled and need to cross over to the south shore to get to Gaspe.  Either the RDL or Trois-Pistoles ferries?

Thanks.

The RDL ferry stops operating January 1.

So would have to go east to Baie Comeau and take ferry to Matane. Or the same ferry also departs out of Godbout which is 100 km east of Baie Comeau on the north shore, crosses to Matane also.

The trail between Baie Comeau and Godbout is a twisty roller coaster ride. If you like thrills it is well worth the time doing if the ferry schedule works into your plan. Ending up in Matane works well as the scenic part of the Gaspe starts after you get east of Matane. If you’re on a big adventure then being on the north shore is a much better ride out to Baie Comeau vs the ride from RDL to Matane. 
The only other crossing option is a truck and trailer shuttle service at Quebec City that will carry you over the bridge to Levi on the south side of river.

The Matane ferry has had a terrible problem with mechanical issues the past few years, add in weather conditions and it’s not always a reliable service. You would want to be checking daily the few days before hoping to cross to be sure all was good. 
We have never taken the ferry, not sure for sleds if a reservation is required or not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

PLC mentioned the 595N trail. This is one of the most scenic trails in the Gaspe. Most people miss it because it’s not part of the perimeter loop. I missed it the first 4 times rode in the Gaspe. Saw pictures on another forum and knew had to check it out.

So what we do now is when we get to the 595 trail while riding across the north shore east of Matane we ride south down the 595 for 20 km. This takes you right through the Chic Choc Mountains. Riding down 20-25 km takes you through the best part of the 595. Then turn around and head back up to trail 5 and continue the loop.

Believe the highest mountain is Mont Albert.

IMG_0827.png

Curious, why do you not take 595 all the way from 5 to la cache and than over to Murdochville - do you prefer staying on 5 and ride along the St Lawrence or other reasons?

Sounds like taking the interior trails around Gaspesie National Park is really good.

44 minutes ago, stoney said:

Curious, why do you not take 595 all the way from 5 to la cache and than over to Murdochville - do you prefer staying on 5 and ride along the St Lawrence or other reasons?

Sounds like taking the interior trails around Gaspesie National Park is really good.

Stoney, if we are doing the whole Gaspe or have someone in the group that hasn’t done it this is the route would take assuming weather is good for the five day ride.

Covers off all the good interior trails:

1. Chic Choc trail, LaCache to Murdochville 

2. 595 N and S

3. 587 South

4. 597 south (between Chandler and Murdochville, is a piston alley run if you enjoy that.

Includes Perce Rock , which once you seen it once not priority for me on future trips.

The south shore, orange on the BonVoyage Map you posted is a waste of time. Relatively flat and not much to see.

Don’t want to miss the north shore. Ride from Cap Chat to Mont St Pierre is a must do.

IMG_0546.png

• Like 3