Riding North out of Searchmont without Halfway

AC+YA

Last week Friday we drove up to Searchmont and parked at Driftwood Valley which was a first this season.  We rode out at 1:00pm sharp and arrived at the gas pumps in Dubreuilville at 6:05pm with the GPS saying we had gone 180.3 miles.  We stopped at the warming shack where all 3 groomers come together from different directions and a few more times for breaks and once to dump our 4 gallon cans of fuel.  We did not go into Wawa  and saved miles and time.  We took the Magpie which was perfect.  After a night in Hearst we were back for a 2nd night in Dub.  Then we had breakfast in Wawa the following morning and gassed up for the trip to Chapleau.  We stopped at Halfway just to look around and then continued towards the Chapleau turnoff which is no longer 8.6 miles south of Halfway but rather 21 miles south at the warming shack.  This is where all three groomers drive to.  When Halfway suddenly left hundreds of sledders hanging last season, the Chapleau and Soo clubs changed the Chapleau run to hookup with the Soo so at least some could sled through Chapleau from points south. 
from this point 21 miles south of Halfway the Chapleau trail distance is 71 miles into the gas station.   Moose horn Lodge is quite a bit less.  I am guessing maybe 20 miles?  
spent the night at Valentines and shot down to Searchmont to head home Tuesday morning.  The run from the gas station to the Driftwood left the gas gauge reading over a quarter tank so no extra gas needed that day with beautiful trails.  We did put 1 gallon of extra fuel in to go from Wawa to Chapleau although it might not have been needed. 
We were on Doo 900 Turbo R Renegades which can get 15 mpg when not hammering the throttle.  All those trails were fantastic and in better shape than I can ever remember. 
We both carried the LINQ 4 gallon extra gas tank and 2 one gallon cans in our saddle bags so we each had 6 gallons of extra gas. 
Depending on conditions you may need the extra, but perfect trails meant that if you stop at Wawa only the 4 gallon would ever be needed. 
900 plus miles of the BEST TRAILS ever. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Last week Friday we drove up to Searchmont and parked at Driftwood Valley which was a first this season.  We rode out at 1:00pm sharp and arrived at the gas pumps in Dubreuilville at 6:05pm with the GPS saying we had gone 180.3 miles.  We stopped at the warming shack where all 3 groomers come together from different directions and a few more times for breaks and once to dump our 4 gallon cans of fuel.  We did not go into Wawa  and saved miles and time.  We took the Magpie which was perfect.  After a night in Hearst we were back for a 2nd night in Dub.  Then we had breakfast in Wawa the following morning and gassed up for the trip to Chapleau.  We stopped at Halfway just to look around and then continued towards the Chapleau turnoff which is no longer 8.6 miles south of Halfway but rather 21 miles south at the warming shack.  This is where all three groomers drive to.  When Halfway suddenly left hundreds of sledders hanging last season, the Chapleau and Soo clubs changed the Chapleau run to hookup with the Soo so at least some could sled through Chapleau from points south. 
from this point 21 miles south of Halfway the Chapleau trail distance is 71 miles into the gas station.   Moose horn Lodge is quite a bit less.  I am guessing maybe 20 miles?  
spent the night at Valentines and shot down to Searchmont to head home Tuesday morning.  The run from the gas station to the Driftwood left the gas gauge reading over a quarter tank so no extra gas needed that day with beautiful trails.  We did put 1 gallon of extra fuel in to go from Wawa to Chapleau although it might not have been needed. 
We were on Doo 900 Turbo R Renegades which can get 15 mpg when not hammering the throttle.  All those trails were fantastic and in better shape than I can ever remember. 
We both carried the LINQ 4 gallon extra gas tank and 2 one gallon cans in our saddle bags so we each had 6 gallons of extra gas. 
Depending on conditions you may need the extra, but perfect trails meant that if you stop at Wawa only the 4 gallon would ever be needed. 
900 plus miles of the BEST TRAILS ever. 

0B21D73E-2638-49BC-AAAB-889FA122F15C.jpeg

26EA3CA5-3621-484B-A49A-A9EFA26EC2B6.jpeg

2B3111FB-D93B-4844-910C-7A70273DC815.jpeg

C6994FA5-A09A-4466-B40F-48A82FDCB80A.jpeg

7F437277-D127-47EC-9E12-4F66B9B79E37.jpeg

ED7B2A4C-1304-4343-A38F-239B67EF2640.jpeg

• Like 9

Thank you for the great report with accurate mileages - very helpful. Glad that you had such a good trip, the kind that make it worth staying in the sport.

• Like 1

Excellent report and many thanks for the details. I'm sure this will be helpful for many!!

• Thanks 1

make sure you post the mileage and routes taken for your mileage. you have 1 year old best practices (newest tech) sleds... many people do not have that, and may give them the sense, they can do this as well. not a bash, just an observation. not many know the area like you do, and can cut, many, many miles off the routes, and get out of trouble, when needed. 

for instance, how did you come from the halfway side, and get to the magpie, without going into wawa? what was the mileage from dub to wawa your way, wawa to the groomer Y south of halfway, and from there to searchmont? 

glad you found what your sleds can accomplish, and glad you had a great run. looks like great fun, and conditions. we are supposed to be up this week but, I came down sick on weds and as of this typing, I am not doing to well. hoping to be over this by mid week, and get up for the weekend. call or text, if you want to chat. Ski

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

for instance, how did you come from the halfway side, and get to the magpie, without going into wawa? what was the mileage from dub to wawa your way, wawa to the groomer Y south of halfway, and from there to searchmont? 

Ski, I am a trail rider only and know almost no short cuts in the area, but have ridden south from Dub on Dub5(Magpie),to the D trail jogged 3 or 4 km east on D(North), then south on Wawa5 around Wawa, back onto D south to Searchmont. That totalled just over 300 km. I am fairly certain that I have used the same route northbound, avoiding Wawa, using Wawa5, D and Dub5 to get to the Magpie. (Paper District 13 maps only) I think I have that correct as I am old haven't been there since 2019.

• Like 2

Is there someone living at Halfway for the winter?

I see two vehickles that I'm purty sure weren't there in October.

???

Thinking about driving up on Wednesday the 15th. If we go to Ontario, we'd either ride Searchmont to Wawa, or drive to Wawa. Looks like 2 hours more in the truck to Wawa compared to Searchmont. Thanks for sharing this report about trail conditions. From the maps it looks like 150 miles from Searchmont to Wawa. Without much recent snow I think we could carry enough gas to safely do this.

53 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Thinking about driving up on Wednesday the 15th. If we go to Ontario, we'd either ride Searchmont to Wawa, or drive to Wawa. Looks like 2 hours more in the truck to Wawa compared to Searchmont. Thanks for sharing this report about trail conditions. From the maps it looks like 150 miles from Searchmont to Wawa. Without much recent snow I think we could carry enough gas to safely do this.

probably closer to 170 or a bit more by sled trail to wawa. it is around 145 miles by truck, about 2 hours and 15 minutes by road. understand, it has been warm and town and parking lots are bare, and I mean bare. go to FB or Youtube and look up jones powersports snow report. every weds, Gord posts a snow report. 

starting in wawa would give you day riding options out of wawa, and of course the option for hornepayne, hearst, kap and those local loops. Ski

And I was told the loggers are chewing up mile road out side of Dubreuilville, heading to the West, toward White River. you would have to run approx 4-5 miles of plowed, sanded, dirt road, that the log haulers do not want us on now. this all took place, YESTERDAY. only way to make it to white river, Manitouwadge, or Marathon would be to start at Hammer lake,  (fishing moose lodge), or drive and start to white river. no bypass to road 12. just a heads up. Ski

3 hours ago, tricky said:

Ski, I am a trail rider only and know almost no short cuts in the area, but have ridden south from Dub on Dub5(Magpie),to the D trail jogged 3 or 4 km east on D(North), then south on Wawa5 around Wawa, back onto D south to Searchmont. That totalled just over 300 km. I am fairly certain that I have used the same route northbound, avoiding Wawa, using Wawa5, D and Dub5 to get to the Magpie. (Paper District 13 maps only) I think I have that correct as I am old haven't been there since 2019.

I could gather the route he took, just wanted him to be more specific for those that needed more "help" in the area. :D I am a pain in the butt, that way. LOL! on a good snow year, and catching a snow fall, you could bypass a bit more trail, and take a few roads, local trails, not groomed. I just like bustin Scott's balls, he rides more than I do, and I have a place there. Ski

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

And I was told the loggers are chewing up mile road out side of Dubreuilville, heading to the West, toward White River. you would have to run approx 4-5 miles of plowed, sanded, dirt road, that the log haulers do not want us on now. this all took place, YESTERDAY. only way to make it to white river, Manitouwadge, or Marathon would be to start at Hammer lake,  (fishing moose lodge), or drive and start to white river. no bypass to road 12. just a heads up. Ski

Wow that’s a big blow to those communities that have worked so hard to reconnect trail to rest of system. Seems to be an ongoing trend in area. I guess for liability sake they can’t leave some snow on either side to sledders to use like in some areas? 

they tried, warned the sledders to stay on "the trail" and off the road. when we were there 2 weeks ago, trail had zero tracks on it, until we rode on it... road was covered in sled tracks. we are our own worse enemy.

as stated in the other thread, this club needs to get all their trails off of roads, and on to permanent trails to avoid this crap. so frustrating. Ski

• Confused 1

Was the trail fresh groomed, or as snowed on?

Is it a case where the less adventurous took the road b/c it didn't appear to be challenging as maybe an unbroken trail?

Just trying to understand what on Earth would ail someone to choose a plowed road over a trail?

1 hour ago, signfan said:

That sucks.  Does it just effect those heading to white river?  Or also effect those running north and south out of town?

just effects the D west, toward white river. Ski

1 hour ago, Ox said:

Was the trail fresh groomed, or as snowed on?

Is it a case where the less adventurous took the road b/c it didn't appear to be challenging as maybe an unbroken trail?

Just trying to understand what on Earth would ail someone to choose a plowed road over a trail?

Trail was groomed a few days prior to us getting there, had a skiff of fresh on it. road was in the same shape, plowed for the warm up, and a fresh skiff on it. it was the I will ride where I want to mentality. now it will be plowed tight and sanded... there wont be any way around it, until we get some fresh. if we get some fresh. kind of a moot point for me now... I developed a cold or something on weds, and I aint feelin too hot (well yeah I am), right now. ah, you know what I mean. Ski

• Like 1

Oh, you always look hot to me Boy! 

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

probably closer to 170 or a bit more by sled trail to wawa. it is around 145 miles by truck, about 2 hours and 15 minutes by road. understand, it has been warm and town and parking lots are bare, and I mean bare. go to FB or Youtube and look up jones powersports snow report. every weds, Gord posts a snow report. 

starting in wawa would give you day riding options out of wawa, and of course the option for hornepayne, hearst, kap and those local loops. Ski

Can you get in and out of Wawa now? I've been following the jones powersports snow report.

We went in  from the North to get gas and had breakfast at Wawa motor inn. We came back out the same way across lake Wawa and took trail 5 to the south.I heard it was not good  going all the way though Wawa that was last Monday I’m sure it has got worse since .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rich Saul said:

Planned on wawa for Tuesday.?think we just go to dub.  Save the road rash..

Ya it’s probably best 

34 minutes ago, Rich Saul said:

Planned on wawa for Tuesday.?think we just go to dub.  Save the road rash..

Dub, or Hawk. Hawk would be a bit closer, if trailering from wawa. Ski

1 hour ago, Ox said:

Oh, you always look hot to me Boy! 

By Hot, I meant as in hot flashes, from the fever. remember, I am sick. LOL! a little slow on the uptake today? usually you are on top of things. Ski