Kitchener to Walters Falls

Blackstar

Rode from Kitchener to Walters Falls through Durham today. By the afternoon the trails were falling apart. Fields were ok but The bush trails were sparse from Mount Forest on. The rail bed above Chatsworth turned grey and slushy, carbides cutting through to the gravel. Turned off the rail bed towards Walters Falls and the bush trails were bare in the corners, rocks and ground showing. Road runnings, and there are a lot up here, we’re bare and soft.

It was +4 with a bit of rain.

Gonna be tough to keep these trails open through the weekend with 2 more days of plus temps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

trails were just starting to get ok .sucks

The clubs closed the trails to protect the base when we got the warm temps and rain a week or so ago.   Why they're not doing it this time baffles me.

23 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

The clubs closed the trails to protect the base when we got the warm temps and rain a week or so ago.   Why they're not doing it this time baffles me.

In our area the 14 day forecast has at least a 24 hour period next week and a couple of full days the following week above freezing. We have very little base on the trails.  I believe the thought is to let people ride while they can because if the forcast doesn't change we will likely be hearing her sing sooner than we'd like.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

In our area the 14 day forecast has at least a 24 hour period next week and a couple of full days the following week above freezing. We have very little base on the trails.  I believe the thought is to let people ride while they can because if the forcast doesn't change we will likely be hearing her sing sooner than we'd like.

I agree, she's starting to sing already for the south if the forecast doesn't change...

20 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yup another disappointing season in south. We might get march yet, if rain don’t wipe out all base next week. More snow to south of highway 7 and 8, then to north. This year been no snow squalls or limited drifting to help build the base. Pretty sad when we start end of January and close a few times and done by Valentine’s Day 🤣.  

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yup another disappointing season in south. We might get march yet, if rain don’t wipe out all base next week. More snow to south of highway 7 and 8, then to north. This year been no snow squalls or limited drifting to help build the base. Pretty sad when we start end of January and close a few times and done by Valentine’s Day 🤣.  

It just means you need to make time to get out and ride while the trails are open. No complaining just riding.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It just means you need to make time to get out and ride while the trails are open. No complaining just riding.

I never complained once about trails. I have had a few good rides this year. My son is due soon, so that might be end of sport for me for a few years. I switch gears and volunteer to help out in my local area inside of riding. Snowmobile will stay and be used mostly on my own property. 

• Like 2

I was in Durham at 11 this morning. Good 3 inches on the ground and still coming down. Lots of wind too. Just what they needed.

For our return yesterday, we went down the rail bed to Dundalk then turned towards Arthur. Lots of snow with drifting. 

I’ll ride again once the temps drop and the groomers can make a couple passes.

Then warm up and rain forecast for middle of next week.

I may sound like I’m complaining but I’ll actually am happy when we can do any riding in the south. 

But it is frustrating when you can see the trails getting better but the doom and gloom is always on the horizon. Especially for those of us who have a hard time finding 2 days in a row to get away.

I rode 3 days in the last 5. That’s a lot for me lately.

• Like 5

Glad your getting out, I know what you mean by having a hard time finding days to ride

last year I got out a fair bit but this year I just don’t have a lot of free time 

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was in Durham at 11 this morning. Good 3 inches on the ground and still coming down. Lots of wind too. Just what they needed.

For our return yesterday, we went down the rail bed to Dundalk then turned towards Arthur. Lots of snow with drifting. 

I’ll ride again once the temps drop and the groomers can make a couple passes.

Then warm up and rain forecast for middle of next week.

I may sound like I’m complaining but I’ll actually am happy when we can do any riding in the south. 

But it is frustrating when you can see the trails getting better but the doom and gloom is always on the horizon. Especially for those of us who have a hard time finding 2 days in a row to get away.

I rode 3 days in the last 5. That’s a lot for me lately.

going to be tough if weather man is right next week 😭

• Like 1

Get out and ride. Went from new Hamburg to Stratford to listowel to Conestoga lake to Lin wood and back home thru wessely. Went on lake from club house to side road 15 mostly good with abit of slush near dam. It’s rutted out from melt but solid. 195 km’s today and not many rough trails just around Conestoga lake area, was worst. 

E053A8AE-D3B8-4069-AA41-82525B63B96E.jpeg

E73FD232-8FF0-4366-AADA-F7C72958794D.jpeg

AC0F7C71-4986-41FA-9DA1-4161DE2647CF.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice pix,gotta get to that conestoga shack again