South is OPEN!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

Conestoga lake trails opened 

I agree march sun isn’t helping but at least they opened again 

Our groomer is sitting in the shed and we know it won't be out on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Our groomer is sitting in the shed and we know it won't be out on Sunday.

Calling for +4 so I understand why 

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

its not just the plus 4 ??  

No idea if there are other reasons 

26 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

No idea if there are other reasons 

It's Sunday.    But in all honesty, and we are the same here   not very cold at night.  Sap lines are up here and there   l knew the lake was planning on opening and if a trail could get there then your good to head north now that Arthur is open We just don't have any where to get to so no grooming and staying closed 

45 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

It's Sunday.    But in all honesty, and we are the same here   not very cold at night.  Sap lines are up here and there   l knew the lake was planning on opening and if a trail could get there then your good to head north now that Arthur is open We just don't have any where to get to so no grooming and staying closed 

Makes no difference to me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

I am frustrated since this is the most snow we have had all winter. Elmira / St.Clements trails had only been open 3 day this winter.  We lost 2-3 days earlier on due to a groomer management issue. I understand that its going to be 4 today. The thing is if the groomer had started anytime after 1AM Saturday and did 1 pass we would have been good for the day and evening Saturday. The clubs do a lot of hours of work and to loose one day in a short season is poor.  JMHO  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I am frustrated since this is the most snow we have had all winter. Elmira / St.Clements trails had only been open 3 day this winter.  We lost 2-3 days earlier on due to a groomer management issue. I understand that its going to be 4 today. The thing is if the groomer had started anytime after 1AM Saturday and did 1 pass we would have been good for the day and evening Saturday. The clubs do a lot of hours of work and to loose one day in a short season is poor.  JMHO  

Can’t expect open trails when weather turns so fast. It’s a challenget to just keep my long lane way open and clean in this type of weather. Thank you for setting up trail snd donsting your property for trail. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Can’t expect open trails when weather turns so fast. It’s a challenget to just keep my long lane way open and clean in this type of weather. Thank you for setting up trail snd donsting your property for trail. 

Really? Conestoga Lake and Arthur were open Saturday.

• Like 1

I seen sleds come off the trail at the park in Elmira on Saturday. They headed through the new subdivision and I seen them again coming in the gas station. I pulled out the phone to check APP and sure enough Conestogo Lake was already open, so was Durham.

I was over by Arthur this morning and the trail looked good from the road. I expected to see patchy mud. I'm planning to ride Wednesday somewhere.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 12:02 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Agreed  PLC , could have open Sat and Sun locally . Seen a few riders pass through , l gave them the 👍 at least someone is getting the benefit  of mine and others effort to set up the dam trail

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 12:02 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I agree, over the last 10 years I’ve seen several instances when St Clements could have opened trails or at least packed some trails but it took until 3-4 days after the snowfall to get the groomer out of the barn and by then we’d had high winds or a bit of rain or whatever.

Seems like there is never a plan there until after the snow falls.

Conestogo and Durham always seem like they are well prepared when an opportunity to open presents itself.

• Like 4

l agree ,conestogo lake does a great job opening when snow comes .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, Blackstar said:

I agree, over the last 10 years I’ve seen several instances when St Clements could have opened trails or at least packed some trails but it took until 3-4 days after the snowfall to get the groomer out of the barn and by then we’d had high winds or a bit of rain or whatever.

Seems like there is never a plan there until after the snow falls.

Conestogo and Durham always seem like they are well prepared when an opportunity to open presents itself.

How does a club or members of a club get this resolved then? What can be done to help speed this up in future? 

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

How does a club or members of a club get this resolved then? What can be done to help speed this up in future? 

Well, as much as I should keep my mouth shut.....lol   Its simple. You need to put people in charge of the groomer who are available at a moments notice and dedicated to building trails.

And by people I mean there should be a team of trained groomer operators so that it can roll 24/7. 

But I do realize that even with the best plan it doesn't always work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well, as much as I should keep my mouth shut.....lol   Its simple. You need to put people in charge of the groomer who are available at a moments notice and dedicated to building trails.

And by people I mean there should be a team of trained groomer operators so that it can roll 24/7. 

Good insight you have to get that fixed. 
That thing should be moving like your snow plow all night so plc can ride by 8 am. 

problem for our area ,you would be waiting months ,maybe years to be ready to go 😀

Blackstar you are bang on . The groomer topic was briefly discussed at the last sled meeting . We are at the mercy of a few .

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Time to change that. 

what are you doing next winter

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2023 at 9:40 AM, Blackstar said:

But how do you do that, when this year the trails in Milverton were open for 3 days.  Its hard to have "staff" sitting ready, making themselves available for Jan, Feb, and March for a phone call that will likely not come. 

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

But how do you do that, when this year the trails in Milverton were open for 3 days.  Its hard to have "staff" sitting ready, making themselves available for Jan, Feb, and March for a phone call that will likely not come. 

you run it as a system that is provincial with paid employees

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No rain for the next week is great for pulling trail stakes and signs. Not going to track up the farm fields and cake the Ranger in mud . But l probably will .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've got half a dozen stakes left to pull and a couple of small piles of stakes to pick up then done for season. The frosty mornings we have had helped a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1