Custom number tickets in Quebec ..................

ZR SLEDHEAD

2 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Clearly no one in a position to clear up the problem has any intention of doing so.

Not even mentioned on the weekend in Val d'Or-stopped twice-no issue!

I see enforcement EVERY ride in PQ. Be it club members wearing vests FULLY empowered to stop and check riders, or SQ officers strategically placed. They know what they're doing, what to look for, and don't waste their time. Or mine.

75% of the time we're waved through. 

I'm not in Mt Laurier or equivalent usually, I tend to avoid the tourist areas and popular drop points if I can. I like to ride. 

I cut the numbers off my Ontario "plate" and stuck them on the sled. I'm not about style or fashion. That said, I've never had one of our groups hassled about numbers.

If I had a complaint here, it's about locally sledding for 3 years, evenings and the odd weekend, and never seeing visible enforcement. It makes everyone nervous.

I recall seeing that posted before but based on replies he's seeing, same problem persists this year.

My experience with trail patrol in Quebec has been nothing but positive however hassled hard twice over custom numbers by Police has def left a sour taste in my mouth. 

Edited by ZR SLEDHEAD

3 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I see enforcement EVERY ride in PQ. Be it club members wearing vests FULLY empowered to stop and check riders, or SQ officers strategically placed. They know what they're doing, what to look for, and don't waste their time. Or mine.

75% of the time we're waved through. 

I'm not in Mt Laurier or equivalent usually, I tend to avoid the tourist areas and popular drop points if I can. I like to ride. 

I cut the numbers off my Ontario "plate" and stuck them on the sled. I'm not about style or fashion. That said, I've never had one of our groups hassled about numbers.

If I had a complaint here, it's about locally sledding for 3 years, evenings and the odd weekend, and never seeing visible enforcement. It makes everyone nervous.

I have been stopped in hailburton on railway line b103 coming into town. 
Also in mattawa area by police officers in a patrol vehicle where trail comes out before and after river. (2 officers on either side of river using radio’s. I think vehicle has a camera too, so they get plate of sled very easily when you come out of trail. I asked and he said compliance was very good in area. 
Other then that haven’t been stopped much. At home they use to patrol power line out of new Hamburg and near st clements club house. But not much snow last few years to get some riding in. 
Out there but not necessarily all day. After a few hours if they aren’t seeing any issues, they most likely leave. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

3 hours ago, slomo said:

Asked and answered.....slow facebook day for Nicholson I guess....print and carry around just in case:

note.thumb.jpg.bc676c9b1989f489e3c70729c9cfa09b.jpg

You're welcome.

That could be the case, but maybe the increased exposure on Faceplant will get some attention from the FCMQ & SQ? Bad publicity might make some people think about how this might impact tourism...

I don't know about Quebec but my experience with the OPP has been that if you give them attitude they will often become much more diligent in their check of you and your sled. They have a job to do. If you make it harder for them to do their job, you may expect to show them license, and insurance when you would likely have been waved on otherwise. Attitude can make a difference between speeding and given a warning versus a ticket.

• Like 3

Only issue I had w/ the OPP was back in the 90s. That was the season of 'selective enforcement' of the registration rules.

Four of us got to share a prize courtesy of the Bala OPP. This was a week after going thru a paperwork check (passed w/ flying colours that time :banghead: ) in Coe Hill.

I think in our day & a half of riding in the Abitibi-Temiscaming area back in '08, we met 2 trail wardens (in blaze orange vests). They were in a big hurry going the other way...

17 hours ago, blackjack1 said:

i have never had a set of those registration stickers in my hand from any MTO service bureau in all the years iv'e registered sleds,many many?

Were the sleds you registered new or used. If you're transferring ownership of a used sled you won't get the government "plate" sticker, just a val tag. The registration stays with the sled for life. If you're registering a brand new "unplated" sled you will get the "plate" sticker. Our two sleds came from the dealer with the "plate stickers" but they weren't put on the sled.

17 minutes ago, blackjack1 said:

always been done by my dealer,guess that's why?

Probably correct if they were on the new sled when you picked it up.

I've had the dealer put my custom numbers on. That being said the blue & white MTO stickers are w/ the ownership & bill of sale.

I think I have a few of the old unused ones kicking around somewhere if anyone needs 'new' numbers...