OPEN TRAILS

thetorches

I see there are a few km's of trail open between Fenelon Falls and Kinmount. 

• Like 1

Good eye. Maybe will check it out in the morning if all goes well.

Probably be trashed by noon ... :rotflmao:

Haha so true. I am itching to put a few miles on my new 850 though! Anyone have an idea of where I can drop my sled? I see a parking area just a bit south of the opened up section, hoping I can access from there. Not to familiar with that area but heading from Ottawa to Niagara on Sunday so I think a little detour is in order (

Unloaded at 815, saw one sled before 9 o'clock, and two more riders at Kinmount right at 10. I thought it would be busier.

20191220_094719.jpg

20191220_100729.jpg

Guy at the Kinvale Restaurant said I looked like a spaceman, so I assume there haven't been many sledders around just yet.

20191220_101000.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, poplawchuk said:

Anyone have an idea of where I can drop my sled?

Right in kinmount theres a parking lot right next to the trail. There's no gas station there though so make sure you get it before.

From earlier:

For those coming from the west, there is also a parking lot at the junction of Pinery Road and Monck Road. You then have to run south on Pinery until you intersect with B104 or B103.

20191220_104826.jpg

20191220_105153.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pics Blake, thanks for sharing, have fun and be safe, wish I was with you today.

• Like 1

Haliburton opened the south end of their railbed section. 90 miles for the day. Pictures from south of Kinmount.

20191220_133648.jpg

20191220_133610.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I sat at the same table in the Kinvale Restaurant as when I was there last time with you, your son, and Nunz! Same waiter. Ate the same food too.

20191220_101728.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is the Superior Propane parking lot an option yet?  Blake, are the trails really as good as the pictures you posted?

The railbed was very good between 815 and noon while I was on it. B104 etc didn't seem to have been groomed, but was fine for putting around through the woods. Pinery Road and other secondary roads were fully snow-covered. 

Keep in mind that the temperature was minus 22 at the start and still only minus 12 at noon, and I saw only 3 other riders by 10 and not a lot more later in the morning. No racers either.

I spoke with a rider who embarked from the Superior yard, but for some reason the trail is red in that area.

Edited by Blake G

Thanks Blake.  I plan on being done by 11, so sounds like I should be ok.  Been around the area for many years and am always amazed how quickly they can open the trails.  Cheers

• Like 1

i stopped in there (Superior Propane parking area)  around 4 on my way back from the Haliburton Forest and it looked really good in both directions. Definitely had a groomer down it as I could see the tracks. I see it is GREEN now.

A8F3DB94-60BC-406E-A242-0A5287F485A8.jpeg

Not sure why picture is sideways ?

Edited by barberch
  • Like 1

On the advice of a fellow OC ‘er I took a 4 hr drive from Mississauga to Témiscaming yesterday. Picked up my new 850 on Thursday and had to ride it immediately. If you are looking for amazing early season riding and don’t mind the drive ( I went up and back same day ) I highly recommend . Day pass was $65 ( I believe HF is $55 , and over 3 hrs for me to get there ) and there were ample , groomed , with lots of snow , trails.  I rode from Témiscaming ( you can park at Esso ) to Latulipe, there is  gas and a restaurant there. It was a total of 280 k return. I passed a total of 7 sled the whole day, 2 which were police. Btw if you go , don’t forget to attach a rear view mirror on left side of sled. I was stopped  on trail and given a full inspection, they were very nice , but let me know it was law to mirror ( at least one, left side )  on machine. They gave me a warning and sent me on my way.

What a  great way to start the season. LOVE the new ride!

CEE024BE-3EDF-4573-B66E-CADC49B38478.jpeg

DC30D99D-80E7-4280-88D2-BA416C3207C5.jpeg

A53BA5FB-730D-4A71-A6A0-9C906954594E.jpeg

4F098771-C742-4CF8-9AD5-96E6EE114A9F.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice!  Congrats on the new sled.

Looking good, POTA.

1 hour ago, Pota said:

On the advice of a fellow OC ‘er I took a 4 hr drive from Mississauga to Témiscaming yesterday. Picked up my new 850 on Thursday and had to ride it immediately. If you are looking for amazing early season riding and don’t mind the drive ( I went up and back same day ) I highly recommend . Day pass was $65 ( I believe HF is $55 , and over 3 hrs for me to get there ) and there were ample , groomed , with lots of snow , trails.  I rode from Témiscaming ( you can park at Esso ) to Latulipe, there is  gas and a restaurant there. It was a total of 280 k return. I passed a total of 7 sled the whole day, 2 which were police. Btw if you go , don’t forget to attach a rear view mirror on left side of sled. I was stopped  on trail and given a full inspection, they were very nice , but let me know it was law to mirror ( at least one, left side )  on machine. They gave me a warning and sent me on my way.

What a  great way to start the season. LOVE the new ride!

CEE024BE-3EDF-4573-B66E-CADC49B38478.jpeg

DC30D99D-80E7-4280-88D2-BA416C3207C5.jpeg

A53BA5FB-730D-4A71-A6A0-9C906954594E.jpeg

4F098771-C742-4CF8-9AD5-96E6EE114A9F.jpeg

So-good to go all the way? Branches in trail not a problem?

The first part out of Témiscaming is as you described.  Trail is scraped down so there are some gravel and yes branches. But honestly that’s about 5 k . The rest past that , what I experienced was fresh groom with good base. Yes muskoka imo I think it’s good to go

43 minutes ago, Pota said:

The first part out of Témiscaming is as you described.  Trail is scraped down so there are some gravel and yes branches. But honestly that’s about 5 k . The rest past that , what I experienced was fresh groom with good base. Yes muskoka imo I think it’s good to go

Excellent-Thx.!