Jump to content
gobills

Stop signs!!!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

 

 

You are absolutely right - there are no Saints here. The B103 has a lot of Stops, and honestly, there are some that appear to have no automobile activity at all. That along with the many straight stretches where you can really get going leads to the complacency

E107 crosses the logging road that accesses our woodlot. It hasn't been plowed in over 10 years yet the stop signs are still in place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zoso said:

i roll them all if no traffic and can see for sure there is not, but always am in a position to stop if there is traffic. if I cannot see the road before i have to stop, then stop i do. Have you ever come to a place where there is a missing stop sign, I have, not a good feeling when you enter a road without knowing it was there. daydreaming on long straights with lots of stops can get anyone in trouble. 

Also I have seen where the signage is obscured by tree foliage. A couple of years ago I almost blew an intersection on B106E south of Bancroft. I went back & tried to remove the branches that were hiding the signs.

 

I sometimes wonder what the EOTA does w/ their permit money...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zoso said:

I always make a report of any stop signing missing. with phones today it is easy to know exactly where it is so you can relay accurate info to the club.You may just save a life. we have had cases where people were removing the stop signs. What kind of mental case would do such a thing?  it did take me a while to adjust to riding in the south. I used tolive where I would ride 70kms to breakfast and see one stop sign, now it is one every two minutes, lol.

We've noticed up north when riding, the stop sign is for the secondary trail & there is no stop sign for the main trail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fella is ok. He is a friend of my friend just found out.  He is in Toronto in the hospital.  No broken bones just really really banged up.  Really bad concussion.  Tek vest saved him.

 

Glad hes ok

Edited by gobills
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the boneheads who blew the stop sign on the Sequin on Friday could see the consequences of not stopping.

Don't wish anyone harm ,but, when you get AIR over a rail crossing beside four stopped sleds ---- well FACK !!!! 

 

I am a retired first responder and I have seen the results of stupid.

Wish the sledder well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It amazes me people how many people want to get there name in the annual Darwin awards, I to have been passed by someone on a steep hill doing twice the speed limit only to get "air", morons !!

 By me are a series of steep hills (going both up and down) I noticed the other day a bunch of disturbed snow areas on the side of the trail down from the crown of the hill, some ten feet off the trail, I can only guess that someone was getting "air" and loss it. Only hope that that the sled was damaged. What is it with people when they put a motor between there legs, does it take away common sense.

 Just yesterday I witnessed a near collision at a bad trail crossing (steep hill and large snow banks) where the the driver and snowmobiler could not see each other until the snowmobiler had started to cross the road. I saw what was about to happen and signalled to the snowmobiler to stop but he had alredy put his skiis on the pavement , luckily the suv driver saw him and slammed on the brakes. (he was not happy). Stop signs work but only if you can see what is coming on the road and in this case it was difficult for both driver and snowmobiler. Moral of the story is stop and proceed with caution on blind crosssings.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an incident recently on our club trails.

A section of E108 is quite hilly, and apparently a fellow was "getting air" over one of the hills. Unfortunately for him, coming up the other side was the groomer!

Well he got air alright, right into the blade on the groomer! Sled was destroyed on impact and the rider went under the groomer!

Fortunately the groomer was able to stop, and the rider was unhurt.

However the police were called and the rider was charged with no ownership, no insurance, and NO PERMIT!

Oh and the sled was a write-off.

Edited by Bigfish
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From my ride today

 

Faded stop sign in Birds Creek

1412901624_20190309_130456BirdsCreekStopSign-Copy.jpg.520621fce3aca09b84c6a9a83cea55d3.jpg

 

Nailed to a tree in Graphite? Could it maybe be placed a bit closer to the trail? It was preceded by 2 'Stop Ahead' signs spaced about a hundred feet apart.

934264859_20190309_154943GraphiteStopSign-Copy.jpg.b50725062657e45ccf5e79d57d1e1571.jpg

 

Not sure who is responsible for the signage on the Hastings Heritage Trail, the sled clubs or the EOTA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, revrnd said:

 

 

 

 

 

Nailed to a tree in Graphite? Could it maybe be placed a bit closer to the trail? It was preceded by 2 'Stop Ahead' signs spaced about a hundred feet apart.

934264859_20190309_154943GraphiteStopSign-Copy.jpg.b50725062657e45ccf5e79d57d1e1571.jpg

 

Not sure who is responsible for the signage on the Hastings Heritage Trail, the sled clubs or the EOTA.

With all due respect, revrnd, from my own experience, perhaps there was a sign closer to the trail. Probably on a steel post. It may have been taken out, or bent flat - from a collision or even a groomer. So instead of a loosely placed post / sign in a snow bank, ( not getting a post pounded through the frost line ) they opted for a more permanent solution on a tree, which is still very visible. This was backed up by a further safety measure of 2 Stop Ahead signs, (as you have stated) as a heads up guarantee. Just trying to walk in their boots for a bit. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, revrnd said:

From my ride today

 

Faded stop sign in Birds Creek

1412901624_20190309_130456BirdsCreekStopSign-Copy.jpg.520621fce3aca09b84c6a9a83cea55d3.jpg

 

Nailed to a tree in Graphite? Could it maybe be placed a bit closer to the trail? It was preceded by 2 'Stop Ahead' signs spaced about a hundred feet apart.

934264859_20190309_154943GraphiteStopSign-Copy.jpg.b50725062657e45ccf5e79d57d1e1571.jpg

 

Not sure who is responsible for the signage on the Hastings Heritage Trail, the sled clubs or the EOTA.

The clubs are, definitely not EOTA!  If they had their way, there would be no sleds on that trail.

 

Stop signs, for some reason are the most stolen signs we have (or don't have) Probably a lot are decorating rec rooms and garages.

 

A double Stop Ahead sign would indicate a major/busy road crossing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile in Canada.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

The clubs are, definitely not EOTA!  If they had their way, there would be no sleds on that trail.

 

Stop signs, for some reason are the most stolen signs we have (or don't have) Probably a lot are decorating rec rooms and garages.

 

A double Stop Ahead sign would indicate a major/busy road crossing.

I used to take a screw driver or pocket knife and scar the sign so it doesn't look so nice on a bedroom wall. That helped keep a few signs on the post. 

 

A double stop ahead means the sign guide isn't being followed. Remember, the trails are signed to protect the OFSC from law suits.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

The clubs are, definitely not EOTA!  If they had their way, there would be no sleds on that trail.

 

Stop signs, for some reason are the most stolen signs we have (or don't have) Probably a lot are decorating rec rooms and garages.

 

A double Stop Ahead sign would indicate a major/busy road crossing.

A double Stop Ahead sign must be something new in the OFSC sign guide. LOL  While the idea of 2 Stop Aheads may be well meant by the installer it isn't per the sign guide and should not be used. With our whacky legal system and judges, it might give a lawyer all he needs to win a lawsuit against the OFSC. 

If Stop Sign theft is an issue, some ideas may be to try using lock nuts / theft proof nut bolts / drilling a few ugly holes in the outer areas of the sign when it's new. We have found that the thieves seem to prefer a newer looking sign that isn't disfigured in any way. The theft proof nuts bolts are a pain for the installer/removers and the locknuts take much more time getting on/off. Personally, I would rather use a bright noticeable stop sign with extra holes in it than a faded out sign. These ideas have worked in our area although in our area clubs sign theft seems to have diminished in the past few years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

A double Stop Ahead sign must be something new in the OFSC sign guide. LOL  While the idea of 2 Stop Aheads may be well meant by the installer it isn't per the sign guide and should not be used. With our whacky legal system and judges, it might give a lawyer all he needs to win a lawsuit against the OFSC. 

If Stop Sign theft is an issue, some ideas may be to try using lock nuts / theft proof nut bolts / drilling a few ugly holes in the outer areas of the sign when it's new. We have found that the thieves seem to prefer a newer looking sign that isn't disfigured in any way. The theft proof nuts bolts are a pain for the installer/removers and the locknuts take much more time getting on/off. Personally, I would rather use a bright noticeable stop sign with extra holes in it than a faded out sign. These ideas have worked in our area although in our area clubs sign theft seems to have diminished in the past few years. 

We have tried many things over the years and the best thing we found was cover the back of the sign with grease.

It stopped the disappearance of many signs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Meanwhile in Canada.jpg

Hunters seem to like using our signs for target practice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, soupkids said:

We have tried many things over the years and the best thing we found was cover the back of the sign with grease.

It stopped the disappearance of many signs.

That would be great if you are leaving the signs up all year. We have to take our signs down every spring so it would be a messy PITA for the volunteers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

With all due respect, revrnd, from my own experience, perhaps there was a sign closer to the trail. Probably on a steel post. It may have been taken out, or bent flat - from a collision or even a groomer. So instead of a loosely placed post / sign in a snow bank, ( not getting a post pounded through the frost line ) they opted for a more permanent solution on a tree, which is still very visible. This was backed up by a further safety measure of 2 Stop Ahead signs, (as you have stated) as a heads up guarantee. Just trying to walk in their boots for a bit. :)

 

I'm on the trail in my Ranger & this has been like this for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

 

I'm on the trail in my Ranger & this has been like this for a while.

In that case, the club is failing in its duties. A post could and should have been installed, before the frost set in. Should never have doubted your observations, rev. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

I used to take a screw driver or pocket knife and scar the sign so it doesn't look so nice on a bedroom wall. That helped keep a few signs on the post. 

 

A double stop ahead means the sign guide isn't being followed. Remember, the trails are signed to protect the OFSC from law suits.

 

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

A double Stop Ahead sign must be something new in the OFSC sign guide. LOL  While the idea of 2 Stop Aheads may be well meant by the installer it isn't per the sign guide and should not be used. With our whacky legal system and judges, it might give a lawyer all he needs to win a lawsuit against the OFSC. 

If Stop Sign theft is an issue, some ideas may be to try using lock nuts / theft proof nut bolts / drilling a few ugly holes in the outer areas of the sign when it's new. We have found that the thieves seem to prefer a newer looking sign that isn't disfigured in any way. The theft proof nuts bolts are a pain for the installer/removers and the locknuts take much more time getting on/off. Personally, I would rather use a bright noticeable stop sign with extra holes in it than a faded out sign. These ideas have worked in our area although in our area clubs sign theft seems to have diminished in the past few years. 

 

I have taken the sign course so am aware of the placement of signage. That being said I have to contact the executive of my club about 2 situations where the 'stop ahead' signs are duplicated. 

 

The sign on the tree looks quite visible in the pic, but when on the sled it is obscured. Further south there was another stop sign that was in a 'sketchy' location. When I've been brushing w/ the guys, we always made a point to check the visibility of signage. One of us would walk down the trail to look @ the sign to determine if the sign was hidden or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cuyuna said:

In that case, the club is failing in its duties. A post could and should have been installed, before the frost set in. Should never have doubted your observations, rev. :)

 

Yes, sometimes winter hampers sign placement. I know of a couple of spots that have to be corrected during the offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, revrnd said:

 

 

I have taken the sign course so am aware of the placement of signage. That being said I have to contact the executive of my club about 2 situations where the 'stop ahead' signs are duplicated. 

 

The sign on the tree looks quite visible in the pic, but when on the sled it is obscured. Further south there was another stop sign that was in a 'sketchy' location. When I've been brushing w/ the guys, we always made a point to check the visibility of signage. One of us would walk down the trail to look @ the sign to determine if the sign was hidden or not.

Our responses weren't directed at you or your comments Rev.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Our responses weren't directed at you or your comments Rev.

 

Not a problem guys. Any of you that have taken the signage course probably will agree that when riding you'll notice stuff like this.

 

I remember during the training, a slide showing signage attached to a hydro pole, a definite no no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, revrnd said:

 

Not a problem guys. Any of you that have taken the signage course probably will agree that when riding you'll notice stuff like this.

 

I remember during the training, a slide showing signage attached to a hydro pole, a definite no no.

I did the trail audits for the OFSC for a few years. Now I can't ride without looking at the signs. I still report missing stop or stop ahead signs as it definitely is a safety thing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...