Ont Registration Sticker

Puggz

Well I attempted to put one of the registration stickers (lg one with the numbers) on my new ZR this weekend and it just wouldn't stick.  The only open area it will fit on the cowling is textured plastic.  I think a combo of the cold temp and the plastic surface is the culprit.  Now I only have one registration sticker plus my renewal sticker

Any ideas/suggestions?  My dealer recommends custom numbers but will I still have the problem with the stickage?

TIA~!

P.

Has to be at a good temp for it to stick. Recommend bring in the side panels into the house for the night then clean panel and stick on in the morning.

My new custom stickers haven’t arrived yet - but for $20 (single colour) ordered them from the stickershop.ca

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/550745474/snowmobile-registration-number-decals?ref=shop_home_active_2

i used a cheap heat gun from Canadian Tire think it was on sale before Xmas for $30.00 use that to warm your cowling up and give it a clean at the same time then apply the sticker and heat it a bit too with the gun it'll help the glue bond once heated a bit up that glue on those stickers bond to just about anything.

Heat gun has many uses after that as well i used it to head up the block a bit to get the sled to start on Dec 31 when the temps were like -35 in the garage.

You can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun. I know someone who cut down the MTO supplied registration sticker so it just had the numbers without the Ontario portion so it would fit properly on the sled and never had a problem with the police.

Personally I have always used the custom numbers. My ZR7000 is black and green so I got the numbers in matching green. They were applied to either side of the centre panel over the engine on a smooth section when it was below freezing and they stuck well without a heat gun.

Like 02 said - I always use the hair dryer to heat the surface up first.

Get custom #'s anyways - they are cheap - they will make different sizes and look a hell of a lot nicer on the sled.

thanks everyone, Yes i have a heat gun (good idea!) and i'll order custom stickers as I agree, they will look a lot better.

If you use custom numbers, where do you put the renewal tag?

Have a look at my numbers and val tag.

BP

IMG_4358.thumb.JPG.5a973a877d48f897b9286e8a9bc1a7f9.JPG

19 minutes ago, Puggz said:

thanks everyone, Yes i have a heat gun (good idea!) and i'll order custom stickers as I agree, they will look a lot better.

If you use custom numbers, where do you put the renewal tag?

My val tag is in pretty much the same place as Big Pussy has his except I don't have the graphics so it is a little closer to the rider.  While this is a picture off the internet my custom numbers in matching green are on each side of the sled where the I put the yellow line. Clearly visible from both sides.

Capture1.JPG.7bae7d9822666cbd90026f4f7636a984.JPG

I’ve used heat gun in the past - but with panels so easy to come off these days (compared to when all we had were hinged hoods) , really nice to have everything all one temp (panel and sticker) at room temp and a nice flat kitchen table to place stickers onto panel , then on my knees in the garage wondering it it’s warm enough yet, if I heated it up too much , is the angle right, etc ....

They will not stick to the textured surface (friend has a Sidewinder with the same problem)

Find a non-textured place to put, and as others have said heat up the area before applying

My reg #'s, trail pass and val tag are all where I have circled in red.

Sled Pic.jpg

I just removed side panels and took them inside to warm up.

Clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol and you will have no problem getting it to stick. 

8 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

BP

Well done friend!

7 hours ago, thetorches said:

I just removed side panels and took them inside to warm up.

5 hours ago, northstar said:

Clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol and you will have no problem getting it to stick. 

Thank you everyone, this is the plan.  I guess the light finally went on when i'm standing in my backyard, -20, and wondering why this damn sticker wont stick. 

20 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

BP

Surprised that you have not been stopped for that setup.

I had a OPP threaten to charge me because my validation sticker was more than an inch and a half away from my registration numbers:crazy:

Don't know.  Have not seen a cop in years.  I'll deal with that when I get there.  Looks good though and no big douche bag blue license sticker that is next to impossible to get off.  Also my numbers are smaller than regulation height by about 1/4".  If he pulls out a 6" ruler to measure them, I will be in big trouble.

Maybe sleds should have a front license plate bracket like a car so these hard decisions would be a non issue.  The weight may also help keep the skis on the ground on those 850's.

BP

This is mine!

At the time I was stopped (Whitney area approx 2 years ago) my validation sticker was 3" to the right of my reg numbers.

Perhaps he was mistaken/unclear/ or someone pissed in his corn flakes that morning, dunno:wtf:

Anyone else been questioned as to the location of the val tag?

20171208_110403A.jpg

Not my val tag.  But while in quebec it took them about 15 mins to make sure my licence numbers were ok as I do not have a big ugly blue licence plate on the side of my sleds.  Same as many of you custom numbers.  After them cross referencing my registration and my numbers by 5 guys they let us go.

They did not believe me that we were allowed to do this in Ontario.  In quebec a lot of them have plates on their flaps.

I have a few times but never been fined for it. Maybe that's way so many people do not like cops. 

6 minutes ago, gobills said:

Not my val tag.  But while in quebec it took them about 15 mins to make sure my licence numbers were ok as I do not have a big ugly blue licence plate on the side of my sleds.  Same as many of you custom numbers.  After them cross referencing my registration and my numbers by 5 guys they let us go.

They did not believe me that we were allowed to do this in Ontario.  In quebec a lot of them have plates on their flaps.

What part of Quebec was this?

46 minutes ago, gobills said:

Outside of la malbaie

Maybe the distance from Ontario and not familiar with our laws

I rode for years with no numbers or plate stickers just my Val sticker. Was going to get custom numbers made up and just forget honestly. Got checked many times no one ever said a thing. Then got stopped in Halliburton and treated like I had just robbed a bank. So I can't see them being that anal about them as long as there on!

Archived