Criticizing the OFSC

GrizzlyGriff

15 minutes ago, revrnd said:

It was how BACK on 1 screen was F1 & on the next it was F4. I wasn't introduced to computers until Widows 95, so everything was Greek to me.

Ah the preset F# function keys. I used to tell my guys to memorize the actual commands that the function keys would execute. They could be manually changed at any time. Every now and then I would test them and see who listened. I would either erase or change some of the function keys then watch who could manually enter the commands. Those who couldn't had an opportunity to see why it was important to actually know the frequently used system commands

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Without the volunteers there would be no trails. The corporate office is not more important. Open and constructive criticism allows for thought and improvement. I am beyond frustrated with those that think that we cannot express our thoughts.   

Exactly!

I guess if you make it difficult to provide feedback, the 'powers to be' may think we're happy campers.

The OFSC does communicate to the district's very well, from there is where it goes bad.

The expectation would be that as the umbrella group for the clubs, the OFSC should be taking better initiatives in the higher level concerns for which the clubs have no resources-

-working with Ministry of Transport to provide trails along highway right of ways (highway 11 for instance) to eliminate areas where a great deal of road running is taking place. (From New Brunswick below)-

5a33a34c27274_newbrunswick.thumb.JPG.93c1a6855e9cb5680d470c10b4c6f8d1.JPG

-working with Ministry of Natural Resources to develop a one size fits all for trail construction and maintenance in terms of approvals - a set of prescribed remedies for wash outs and other trail maintenance concerns  such as pre fab Bailey Bridges and approvals based on the realization that snowmobiling typically leaves no tracks once the season is over.

-better pubicity - those trail road crossings are a gold mine that no one seems capable of utilizing for positive economic feedback for communities. Current publicity efforts are feeble at best. As suggested in a post on the Cochrane snowmobiling face book page - why is the OFSC not publicizing the prodigious efforts and community contributions of the volunteers up there who are working for early trails and a better economy for their community?

-better links with provincial government right down to individual departments currently ignored such as those related to culture, immigration, industry and (ironically) sport.

-a marketing program both on and off season led by professionals in the field, which would provide easier access to the sport by those typically not attracted to it - my visit to the OFSC office in Barrie in 2000 resulted in a pamphlet, pat on the back and out the door and I fit the demographic! (thank goodness for this forum)

2 hours ago, slomo said:

The expectation would be that as the umbrella group for the clubs, the OFSC should be taking better initiatives in the higher level concerns for which the clubs have no resources-

-working with Ministry of Transport to provide trails along highway right of ways (highway 11 for instance) to eliminate areas where a great deal of road running is taking place. (From New Brunswick below)-

5a33a34c27274_newbrunswick.thumb.JPG.93c1a6855e9cb5680d470c10b4c6f8d1.JPG

-working with Ministry of Natural Resources to develop a one size fits all for trail construction and maintenance in terms of approvals - a set of prescribed remedies for wash outs and other trail maintenance concerns  such as pre fab Bailey Bridges and approvals based on the realization that snowmobiling typically leaves no tracks once the season is over.

-better pubicity - those trail road crossings are a gold mine that no one seems capable of utilizing for positive economic feedback for communities. Current publicity efforts are feeble at best. As suggested in a post on the Cochrane snowmobiling face book page - why is the OFSC not publicizing the prodigious efforts and community contributions of the volunteers up there who are working for early trails and a better economy for their community?

-better links with provincial government right down to individual departments currently ignored such as those related to culture, immigration, industry and (ironically) sport.

-a marketing program both on and off season led by professionals in the field, which would provide easier access to the sport by those typically not attracted to it - my visit to the OFSC office in Barrie in 2000 resulted in a pamphlet, pat on the back and out the door and I fit the demographic! (thank goodness for this forum)

Good points. But remember those things cost money.  Everyone loves to show up at AGM and bitch that too much money is being spent in Barrie and that the money should go on the snow.  More on the snow.  That's MOTS.   It's not more people in Barrie for gov't issues.  Having been the one to deal with MTO and the local municipality I've felt the frustration first hand of asking for first hand help from Barrie on these issues to find there was some suggestions shared on the phone, but not much else.  "Your club is its own corporation and I as an OFSC staff member can't speak on your behalf" is what you're told.  "I'd suggest trying this, but won't talk to the municipality with you on this issue.  It wouldn't be appropriate" is what you're told. With leaders from various clubs getting on here and complaining about a lack of resources does it make sense to hire more staff in Barrie for this issue?  I'm guessing the majority would say no.  Truth is the district boards need to get stronger on these issues.  The standardization that will come with re-structuring the districts should help with this.  But there is more than one district that wants to fight this as well.

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

The OFSC does communicate to the district's very well, from there is where it goes bad.

I'm not so sure about that. There are indications that they may do well on some topics and not so well on others.

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

Every district is represented at the board of governors, if information is not getting back to the club then the problem is most likely with the governor , not the OFSC

5 minutes ago, BoonerBP said:

Every district is represented at the board of governors, if information is not getting back to the club then the problem is most likely with the governor , not the OFSC

And if the OFSC doesn't communicate everything to the district governors? No matter who you ask at whatever level sometimes doesn't have an answer.

15 minutes ago, Old Sledder said:

The OFSC is getting bashed on FB again today over their "How Do I?" posts

You mean the Craig Nicholson retirement fund.... sorry to say I haven't seen anything of any use on any of them nor have I gotten any value out of his radio spots even when I was a newbie. He tends to state the obvious.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

And if the OFSC doesn't communicate everything to the district governors? No matter who you ask at whatever level sometimes doesn't have an answer.

The board of governors sets policy along with the Ex Com. They are the  OFSC. Paid staff do not dictate policy or direction the OFSC takes, they are support only. Presently 16 governors and the Ex-Com are steering the the ship. If you do not feel information is being adequately provided then you need to talk to your governor . Whether or not the BoG has decided to pass on the information is another matter 

1 hour ago, BoonerBP said:

I think that is part of the problem, who is held accountable for the lack of info or updates that might not be given.

Is it the OFSC

Is it the governor's

is it the clubs

Easy to point the finger the other way.

Is it too much to simply post updates and decisions regarding the OFSC as a whole on the website under a sub section called news or updates or etc....

Perhaps to much exposure that will cause more work or headaches, or maybe due to the "old boys club" mentality for some and sharing info is only meant for a select few & not all.

Just an observation from my perspective. I could be right or I could be wrong. I just recently received my Go Snowmobiling emailed news letter from the OFSC. In it were a number of links one of which was The Intrepid Snowmobiler I Can See Clearly Now The Fog Has Gone The Intrepid Snowmobiler goes over  some of the best tips to combat a foggy visor this season.

Did anyone actually find this useful? Or is it just me. I would much rather see the OFSC pay the Groomer Guy for some articles. At least I would find them interesting and entertaining. Probably a better bang for the buck. I can't speak for him but I suspect he may even do the articles for free for the good of the sport.

I just received my Supertrax and Go Snowmobiling magazines in the mail. Why is it that the "editorial" in the OFSC magazine is always written by Mark Lester. The cover has the OFSC logo on it so am I being unrealistic in thinking that an editorial article should be the voice of the OFSC and not the Lester family. This issue the article was pretty good regarding snowmobiling being a family sport and acknowledging that although the demographics of snowmobilers has aged they also have the most disposable income to distribute across the sport. He did take the opportunity to interject about his family and his sons being CSRA competitors for over a decade and national champions. Frankly I don't care what his sons did racing. Last I heard racing wasn't part of the OFSC mandate or is this perhaps a subtle suggestion that they should be.

However my interpretation, once again could be wrong. He has acknowledged in the past that he has gotten "assailed" for saying the OFSC needs to embrace the off trail riders. He has strongly brought that up in the last two articles. It seems he couldn't resist getting a subtle poke at it again with the second last paragraph.

The change we see comes from an influx of younger generation riders who look different, act differently and interpret snowmobiling differently than the previous generation. While we need to ensure we respect the way snowmobiling is carried out as it relates to land use and safety, we need to embrace these younger, dare I say "different" riders to sustain our future.

To me having an awareness of the recent editorials, this is just one more, albeit more subtle "we have to accommodate off trail riding" statements from him.   

Just an observation from my perspective. I could be right or I could be wrong. I just recently received my Go Snowmobiling emailed news letter from the OFSC. In it were a number of links one of which was The Intrepid Snowmobiler I Can See Clearly Now The Fog Has Gone The Intrepid Snowmobiler goes over  some of the best tips to combat a foggy visor this season.

Did anyone actually find this useful?

There is plenty a writer of any depth and imagination could be chronicalling  - volunteer burnout, some clubs failing, tremendous volunteer effort, the actual NEWS behind Ontario snowmobiling etc. but there is no money in it for Mr. Nicholson. As for the Lesters, given that somehow they won the marketing contract (8 years I think?) the OFSC is stuck with them and their buddies - despite, as you point out, a flagrant conflict of interest.

Last spring, having read the co-authored Nicholson / Nutter puff piece on trail side butter tarts (heard that theme somewhere before - maybe here?) in one of the magazines, the season being over and having nothing better to do, continued reading a few other articles by Mr. Nicholson. Particularly intriguing was one in which he admits he isn't all that mechanically inclined and gets the dealer (likely for free) to do his post season maintenance and storage for him, as opposed to doing it himself.

You gotta admire the courage of a power sports writer to admit something like this - there are those - not me mind you - but there are those, who might suggest that a power sports advocate unable to look up a few basic procedures in a user manual or maybe even in a factory workshop manual should maybe head over to amazondotcom for a pair of go-go boots.

There are a few on here who find Mr. Nicholson's tours helpful to some degree in planning - mainly the seadoo crowd at this point I think - and as his name (and his wife's) is on the mast head of supertrax magazine and in addition some sort of position for the OFSC, we are probably stuck with him as long as the Lesters are around.

I will admit his name is attached to an article in the OFSC Go Snowmobiling magazine regarding buying a used snowmobile. It isn't quite his typical writing style as it apparently was a collaboration. It was one of the more meaningful and relevant articles I have seen from him, particularly for someone new to the sport. The slight flaw in the chronology is that in order to get the article you had to buy a permit for last season in order to get the magazine this season. That would imply that since you bought a permit last season even as someone new to the sport you have already gone through the buying a sled process.

I just received my Supertrax and Go Snowmobiling magazines in the mail. Why is it that the "editorial" in the OFSC magazine is always written by Mark Lester. The cover has the OFSC logo on it so am I being unrealistic in thinking that an editorial article should be the voice of the OFSC and not the Lester family. This issue the article was pretty good regarding snowmobiling being a family sport and acknowledging that although the demographics of snowmobilers has aged they also have the most disposable income to distribute across the sport. He did take the opportunity to interject about his family and his sons being CSRA competitors for over a decade and national champions. Frankly I don't care what his sons did racing. Last I heard racing wasn't part of the OFSC mandate or is this perhaps a subtle suggestion that they should be.

X3

I ranted about this somewhere as well recently.

I think in a previous incarnation of the OFSC's print representation, the prez did have a column.

21 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I will admit his name is attached to an article in the OFSC Go Snowmobiling magazine regarding buying a used snowmobile. It isn't quite his typical writing style as it apparently was a collaboration. It was one of the more meaningful and relevant articles I have seen from him, particularly for someone new to the sport. The slight flaw in the chronology is that in order to get the article you had to buy a permit for last season in order to get the magazine this season. That would imply that since you bought a permit last season even as someone new to the sport you have already gone through the buying a sled process.

not 100% there just want to point out all the mags past and present are available for free on the OFSC website in PDF if the site ever comes back day 3 of it being down now.

32 minutes ago, slomo said:

There is plenty a writer of any depth and imagination could be chronicalling  - volunteer burnout, some clubs failing, tremendous volunteer effort, the actual NEWS behind Ontario snowmobiling etc. but there is no money in it for Mr. Nicholson. As for the Lesters, given that somehow they won the marketing contract (8 years I think?) the OFSC is stuck with them and their buddies - despite, as you point out, a flagrant conflict of interest.

Last spring, having read the co-authored Nicholson / Nutter puff piece on trail side butter tarts (heard that theme somewhere before - maybe here?) in one of the magazines, the season being over and having nothing better to do, continued reading a few other articles by Mr. Nicholson. Particularly intriguing was one in which he admits he isn't all that mechanically inclined and gets the dealer (likely for free) to do his post season maintenance and storage for him, as opposed to doing it himself.

You gotta admire the courage of a power sports writer to admit something like this - there are those - not me mind you - but there are those, who might suggest that a power sports advocate unable to look up a few basic procedures in a user manual or maybe even in a factory workshop manual should maybe head over to amazondotcom for a pair of go-go boots.

There are a few on here who find Mr. Nicholson's tours helpful to some degree in planning - mainly the seadoo crowd at this point I think - and as his name (and his wife's) is on the mast head of supertrax magazine and in addition some sort of position for the OFSC, we are probably stuck with him as long as the Lesters are around.

I think his sled usually has graphics as to which dealer he is dealing w/. In the past it was Dunfords & more recently Gateway Powersports. Over the years, quite a few of the trail guide cover pics have been provided by him. As a result the w/s decal gets a lot of exposure.

And usually his trip itineraries only include the places he stayed at. Free advertising IMO. 

A bit of a history lesson. Back in the days of the Northern Invasion, a co-worker of my brother was trying to plan a sledding trip. He couldn't get a room in a town because the motel listed in the mag' was full. I told him there were 4 motels there. I dug a bit & got the contact info. He called 1 of the other places & had no problem getting rooms for the gang. The database just grew from there.

Just as a casual rider who loves to read anything about sleds it is a little off putting to see how embedded the Lester's have become. They have so many many industry suppliers behind them that I feel anything published by them needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There is a gravy train and they are on it for as long as possible. I think that there is much more information to be trusted in forums like this one. Many of us are volunteeers and long time riders with no hidden agendas.

10 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

Just as a casual rider who loves to read anything about sleds it is a little off putting to see how embedded the Lester's have become. They have so many many industry suppliers behind them that I feel anything published by them needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There is a gravy train and they are on it for as long as possible. I think that there is much more information to be trusted in forums like this one. Many of us are volunteeers and long time riders with no hidden agendas.

Well said.

As my brother said many years ago, "Who decided they were snowmobiling experts? We've been riding & driving sleds since '68/'69." Our 1st rides were on a friend's 10 HP 'doo in Mark S Burnham PP.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Well said.

As my brother said many years ago, "Who decided they were snowmobiling experts? We've been riding & driving sleds since '68/'69." Our 1st rides were on a friend's 10 HP 'doo in Mark S Burnham PP.

But his kids were CSRA competitors for over a decade and national champions.

12 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

... and myself and a lot of central and north central sledders were members of the OSRF. Does that make us unknowledgeable?

( Ontario Snowmobile Racing Federation )

Definitely not. There are specialized areas of expertise with a common denominator being snowmobiles themselves. The question made by revrnd was  "Who decided they were snowmobiling experts? No doubt they have a degree of expertise but in what discipline. Some will have cross discipline expertise as well.

My response was around the most recent editorial in the OFSC Go Snowmobiling Ontario magazine. The editorial was about OFSC snowmobiling not CSRA racing being a family activity. OFSC snowmobiling is trail riding. The elder Lester (author of the editorial) felt it was relevant to a snowmobile trail riding magazine editorial to refer to his kids being CSRA competitors for over a decade and national champions.  Just my opinion but being a snowmobile racer and national champion, while a very notable accomplishment is irrelevant to an organization which is focussed on building, maintaining and providing snowmobile trails for the trail riders. Yes they can ride a snowmobile at racing speeds over a rough terrain but is that really what we want on the trails or want to promote when we are trying to actively attract participants to snowmobiling as a family sport.

I hear enough people now telling me of near misses due to wannabe snowcross racers coming over the crest of a hill airborne in the middle of the trail as it is.

Archived