rap tour and fuel

blue er

Was thinking oftryinga  a 24 hr run around the park this year, thinking leavingon a friday night, looking for availble 24 hr stations sure there be fuel in hali- pembroke/petawawa but not sure about across the top, last time made it from petewawa to lake nonbonsing on fumes just tryong to get a route together right now

28 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

My 28 year old sin did it in 48 hours last year and he considered THAT suicidal.

Another freudian slip?

last time was 3 days of not really hard riding, left my house on sturgeon lake at 8 am stopped in hali for brekky, whitney for lunch petawawa for dinner had a vector oil leak to deal with left pet at 11 am stopped in north bay got smashed at a local estabilisment left nb at 7am and did the 408km run from nb to dunsford made it home at dark

4 hours ago, blue er said:

Was thinking oftryinga  a 24 hr run around the park this year, thinking leavingon a friday night, looking for availble 24 hr stations sure there be fuel in hali- pembroke/petawawa but not sure about across the top, last time made it from petewawa to lake nonbonsing on fumes just tryong to get a route together right now

Why on earth would you do that? RAP is supposed to be enjoyed for the scenery and trails...not an endurance test.

4 hours ago, irREVerent said:

Why on earth would you do that? RAP is supposed to be enjoyed for the scenery and trails...not an endurance test.

Wasn't Denis007 1 of the guys that ran 24 hours between Hearst & Cochrane years ago? ;-)

Why not just strap on 20 litres of fuel. This is what I do, when going on a long run. I believe mattawa has 24 hr fuel and north bay should too, if you can into travelodge lodge near strip joint. 

On 07/01/2017 at 6:32 PM, irREVerent said:

Why on earth would you do that? RAP is supposed to be enjoyed for the scenery and trails...not an endurance test.

Each there own. Like to push myself

That will be tough, be safe. Good luck 

Hi we we are on Sturgeon by heights road hope to get up to whitney Feb March this year by the time the gas station closes maybe cover a bit of Algonquin just thought I'd mention 310 near Sturgeon is actually closed due to the bog and up from bobcageon there is quite the water crossing on the 400 near 435 mud flew over my head.

7 hours ago, randyg said:

Hi we we are on Sturgeon by heights road hope to get up to whitney Feb March this year by the time the gas station closes maybe cover a bit of Algonquin just thought I'd mention 310 near Sturgeon is actually closed due to the bog and up from bobcageon there is quite the water crossing on the 400 near 435 mud flew over my head.

one rd over from me off gilmar

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this endeavour. Apart from fuel, you'll want to be mindful of road rash given the recent rain/warm weather. I don't have my local  map in front of me, but the bypass near POWASSON is worth noting - as I recall, if you stay on D northbound of TROUT CREEK  towards Astorville there's a sign that warns about KM's of road riding. It won't be pleasant if the road's been milled down to pavement. Keep that in mind (assuming by-pass is open) and definietly talk to other riders at that intersection ( 4 a.m. in your case, talking to yourself is o.k. :-P ) before choosing a route. Not sure if there's a similar sign southbound.  Good luck in your travels.

I think that is the section that is closed this year. 

Ok. Thanks. The one constant in many RAP reviews is the road running - when they're snow covered, it's great. I did glance at the interactive guide, and couldn't find the roads. Need to look at my maps to see how they've avoided that road section.

it would be great if the interactive map showed road running clearly

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 8:05 PM, blue er said:

I am heading up to pick my sled up on Wednesday Feb 8th from Birchpoint (500mile service) if you want to get together for a run. Just up for the day, then next Sunday.

11 minutes ago, randyg said:

On 1/9/2017 at 8:05 PM, blue er said:

I am heading up to pick my sled up on Wednesday Feb 8th from Birchpoint (500mile service) if you want to get together for a run. Just up for the day, then next Sunday.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, Canuck said:

I was thinking about this endeavour. Apart from fuel, you'll want to be mindful of road rash given the recent rain/warm weather. I don't have my local  map in front of me, but the bypass near POWASSON is worth noting - as I recall, if you stay on D northbound of TROUT CREEK  towards Astorville there's a sign that warns about KM's of road riding. It won't be pleasant if the road's been milled down to pavement. Keep that in mind (assuming by-pass is open) and definietly talk to other riders at that intersection ( 4 a.m. in your case, talking to yourself is o.k. :-P ) before choosing a route. Not sure if there's a similar sign southbound.  Good luck in your travels.

Is this the one you're referring to? If so, we took it initially, then realized that the SSR 700 was closed, so turned around and did the road.  Wasn't bad last Thursday, but if it lost anymore snow, could be dicey. 

detour.JPG

7 hours ago, Wimpy said:

Is this the one you're referring to? If so, we took it initially, then realized that the SSR 700 was closed, so turned around and did the road.  Wasn't bad last Thursday, but if it lost anymore snow, could be dicey. 

detour.JPG

Club should take down the sign as soon as they have time so as to not create further confusion by sledder's not from the area.

I should have checked the interactive map on my phone at the intersection, but presumed it was open.  Lol.  No biggie, we enjoyed some nice extra riding that day.  :)

On 05/02/2017 at 11:22 PM, randyg said:

Sounds like a plan 

10 hours ago, blue er said:

Sounds like a plan 

Text me at 416-268-1092

Randy

Archived