New guy in Manotick. (Ottawa)

manotickmike

Here are a few things to check on the 07 apex:

1: front end bushings

2: exhaust donuts

3: cracks on the "w" arm

4: carbides (try woodys duallys, or snow trackers)

5: rear heat exchanger (install one if it doesn't have it)

6: sliders (try using DuPont)

7: fuel relay (replace with new red one)

Nice to see you support the Missing Link those guys are great up there and benefit from guys like you supporting them. I have a house up in Stonecliffe and ride from home in Hallville to there many times a year. Enjoy your snowmobiling adventures this coming season.

Been reading up on things to check and do, but I'm out of time for now. Diane is back from vacation Saturday, and I have a bit of tidying up to do.. :blink:

This sled was dealer maintained, but does have a few miles on it.

Front end is tight, the W arm appears crack free to my untrained eye.  No exhaust leaks I can detect. No rear exchanger either.

I'd love to drop the skid (It's on a lift, but I have access to a engine hoist) and go over it if the season starts late (shudder...), same for the donut check,  

If anyone local is familiar, an experienced pair of eyeballs would be appreciated!

Zow, Hallville to Stonecliffe. That must be a tour. Maybe I could just RIDE to Ian's in Deux Riviers instead of trailering!

Looking forward to riding locally Sledzz. Diane LOVES The Dot. Might be able to get her to join me.

Going to the swap on the 28th??

To check the donuts just warm it up and place rags over the exhaust- it should stall after a few seconds unless the exhaust has a leak.

It does stall when I block the exhaust, but I believe I hear a jingle/rattle coming from the doughnut area. Guess I'll find time this weekend to remove some of the parts I replaced last week, and continue on into the exhaust area. I hope the interweb horror stories are exaggerated somewhat... Like the oil filter tales. The worst part of that was the $20 filter @ NAPA.

I wired the 2nd or dedicated helmet jack into the sled, used the posts on the starter solenoid. Closer and easier to get to than the battery, and the posts were the right size for the ring terminals. I may run wire to the rear of the sled while I have the seat off for the exhaust check. 

It does stall when I block the exhaust, but I believe I hear a jingle/rattle coming from the doughnut area. Guess I'll find time this weekend to remove some of the parts I replaced last week, and continue on into the exhaust area. I hope the interweb horror stories are exaggerated somewhat... Like the oil filter tales. The worst part of that was the $20 filter @ NAPA.

I wired the 2nd or dedicated helmet jack into the sled, used the posts on the starter solenoid. Closer and easier to get to than the battery, and the posts were the right size for the ring terminals. I may run wire to the rear of the sled while I have the seat off for the exhaust check. 

Did you ask for the backyard mechanic discount at NAPA? It helps.

Are you sure the rattle isn't the primary clutch rattle that is pretty well standard equipment on a Yamaha?

Did you ask for the backyard mechanic discount at NAPA? It helps.

Are you sure the rattle isn't the primary clutch rattle that is pretty well standard equipment on a Yamaha?

NAPA is getting very pricey!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is an 07 with miles,change the donuts,go with copper,they last for ever,and it is cheap and easy.Tottallyamaha web site has a step by step with pictures how to do it.Only takes a couple of hours.I changed donuts in 5 apex's last year,from 07 to 2011,all the donuts were toast.

If it is an 07 with miles,change the donuts,go with copper,they last for ever,and it is cheap and easy.Tottallyamaha web site has a step by step with pictures how to do it.Only takes a couple of hours.I changed donuts in 5 apex's last year,from 07 to 2011,all the donuts were toast.

I wonder if my friend the luddite knows about this?

He's got a 40th Ann' Apex. No internet, so I KNOW he misses out on a lot of stuff. During 1 of our trips he had sled issues & had repairs done in Timmins @ the dealer there. The guys printed off something from TY for him to do in the future. When he caught up to us in Kap' he showed bro & I the paperwork. He asked us if we had heard of the website Totally Yamaha? We rolled our eyes & said that even though we ran 'doos, TY was well known in the sledding world. 

I wonder if my friend the luddite knows about this?

He's got a 40th Ann' Apex. No internet, so I KNOW he misses out on a lot of stuff. During 1 of our trips he had sled issues & had repairs done in Timmins @ the dealer there. The guys printed off something from TY for him to do in the future. When he caught up to us in Kap' he showed bro & I the paperwork. He asked us if we had heard of the website Totally Yamaha? We rolled our eyes & said that even though we ran 'doos, TY was well known in the sledding world. 

LOL - he rides with you too, eh?

LOL - he rides with you too, eh?

Yes, just difficult if not impossible to arrange rides w/ him. Smoke signals tend to disappear quickly when it's windy.

OK, so I removed the 76 fasteners, and bodywork, seat, headlight/windshield/dashboard and fuel tank, and access panel, happily the doughnuts all look like they were recently replaced. Everything is snug, not the jangling clamps I'd envisioned.

Maybe this is an ACTUAL case of a properly, dealer maintained machine, as it was sold to me, not just a BS story.

Next year I'll do it all again, and add copper doughnuts.

Going to attempt to run a power cable to the back before I re-assemble. Wish there was a spare port in that fuse box.....

The trailer is all converted form it's dirt bike carrier duty, mats and ski glides installed,  so when I'm done here, it goes back to It's rolling condo so I can properly locate the tie downs. 

C'mon, snow.....

Thank you for my morning laugh.... that was good.

Who me? I saw nothing

OK, so I removed the 76 fasteners, and bodywork, seat, headlight/windshield/dashboard and fuel tank, and access panel, happily the doughnuts all look like they were recently replaced. Everything is snug, not the jangling clamps I'd envisioned.

Maybe this is an ACTUAL case of a properly, dealer maintained machine, as it was sold to me, not just a BS story.

Going to attempt to run a power cable to the back before I re-assemble. Wish there was a spare port in that fuse box.....

The trailer is all converted form it's dirt bike carrier duty, mats and ski glides installed,  so when I'm done here, it goes back to It's rolling condo so I can properly locate the tie downs. 

C'mon, snow.....

C'mon, snow.....

I hope you pulled the donuts to inspect them,you can not even see them unless you take the clamps off.Just because everything is snug does not mean the donuts are good.One apex i did for a friend had it into the dealers for service,he asked for them to check the donuts,they said they were ok,even had it on the invoice that they were ok.When i got it apart everything was snug,but when i got the donuts out they were on there way out,one was 2/3 gone,the other 3 about 1/2 gone.Hope this helps.Even taking the clamps off they might look good until you spin them around,they seem to start going from the bottom first.

Welcome to the forum Rick

I hope you pulled the donuts to inspect them,you can not even see them unless you take the clamps off.Just because everything is snug does not mean the donuts are good.One apex i did for a friend had it into the dealers for service,he asked for them to check the donuts,they said they were ok,even had it on the invoice that they were ok.When i got it apart everything was snug,but when i got the donuts out they were on there way out,one was 2/3 gone,the other 3 about 1/2 gone.Hope this helps.Even taking the clamps off they might look good until you spin them around,they seem to start going from the bottom first.

Thanks, Dufftom...

I didn't pull the exhaust back to remove the doughnuts, but I did remove all the clamps, and feel around the bottom of the gaskets. All good. If I had to guess, I'd say someone was in here this time last year. They looked new, and no fastener put up a fight.

It's all back together now, and I'm ready to free up the space in my garage again. I'd say it's going into the trailer, but with the way things are looking, I'm going to put a bike chock back in there, at least for a while. I got tire studs for the WR250, time to install them, and get out for an adrenaline fix....

Rick, I'm just north of the Tim's on River road.

400hp??

Jebus!

• 4 weeks later...

Back from Ian's (who didn't pack his machines along...) and our first rides of the season. Went great! Little work ahead, new wiring for the helmet didn't work, and i think I forgot a connecter for the fuel gauge during my re - assembly, and there's all those license and trail sticker to apply. Diane is more than OK with the seat jack experience, and drove a snowmobile for the first time. Sure are off to a better start than last year on all counts.

Hoping to get the little list done, and get some local riding in before heading back up north for next weekend. Big storm in the forecast, and the clubs are working hard to get more trails open.

Hard to believe that it was just 10 days ago I was blasting through the single track on my dirt bike at 16 degrees, and PERFECT trail conditions.

Well helooooooooooo  Mike!

Ya just had to make a jab about me NOT bringing the sleds up for New Years. Geez!

It was a sympathy play, not a jab...

Hiya, Ian!

Thanks for the hospitality, and for getting me back into sledding after 33 years...

(And I thought I was fine....)

I see you both, Mike and Ian, are members of the Missing Link.  Have either of you been up there yet? I was up over new years but not with the sled. I did however see a group come in on this past Saturday and were planning on riding.  They were still waiting for the other groomer to come back from maintenance.  Im living in the Petawawa area now but my sled is still down near Kemptville so Im hoping to get it up here real soon.   Im just looking for a good spot to store it and my enclosed trailer for easy access to it, and the trails.  Happy Riding!

Shawn.

Archived