Advice needed on a Enclosed trailer

Nunz

Pit products has some cool ideas... But pricey. Not sure why you want to store helmets in the trailer, but I could definitly see a nice rack for jerry cans and a few tools. I just keep a milk crate with random stuff I need in the back. Between sleds.

And nunz... One must have for your 118 or any trailer with a ramp door is hard bristled brush and or a ice scraper. Need to clean out crevasse in between the door and trailer. Ice falls in there and it won't close all the way.

And it will bend the hinges 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it will bend the hinges 

x3 on this.

Actually considering stepping down to a 2 place trailer, so this discussion is timely.

Don't buy one from the place that OntarioF7 got his ... they only have one battery for their drill/driver ......

Bought a Triton from them. Fantastic trailer. At least they were honest. No one would have made that up  :wacko:

Go to the fall snowmobile show and actually crawl under a few. You'd be surprised how visible 'cost savings' in the production process can be  (size of bars, quality of welds, number of rivets, whether the wiring is protected). 

Some good prices at the show.

I never thought I'd use the side gas doors, but northern pumps have longer hoses and they've proven useful. 

Wise words... I looked closely at all those things at the show. Some people including those selling trailers looked at me strangely when I got down on the floor and stuck my head underneath looking at the welds the frame, C channel or tube (surprised at the amount of C channel I found) the routing of the wiring, the isolation of steel and aluminum to prevent the corrosion of the disimilar metals, the seal of the ramp door. Like Canuck I have a gas door I thought I would never use but surprisingly do.

I bought a Blizzard trailer made in Boone New York and am quite happy with it. The one thing I have found with a ramp is the space between the ramp and the bed of the trailer when the ramp is down, can depending upon the incline be a rough transition with the carbides catching the aluminum frame and chipping away at it as they hit. I keep some black ABS plumbing pipe and drop it down into the gap. The ski and carbide never seem to catch any more and it helps keep that space clear of snirt. I also keep a broom for that.

We are looking at an enclosed trailer brand new.. Wanted to know if any of you have any advice on what brands are good bad? I saw one advertised by Bluewater trailers but don't know much about them.. Are the Tritons all they are hyped to be?

Thanks guys

I bought a 10 foot  bluewater clamshell trailer in 2013. For the OTD price of $2700 it was a good deal. It was within the budget as I was getting accused of owning too many trailers.

I already owned a 2012 Triton 10 foot open two place and really could see the difference in manufacturing, but I use the triton to move spas and wanted a trailer to keep my sleds in, didn't plan on doing much trailering.

That open Triton was about the same money as the enclosed Blue Water.

I started to use the Blue water trailer to move spas, keeping them clean in the enclosed. It really didn't fit bigger hot tubs with the sloping rear clamshell.

I ended up trading in the bluewater on a new demo 12 foot Triton from Scott at Reinharts. This was my third trailer I'd bought from Scott...although the first two were "at the other Reinharts" lol.

Scott gave me a great trade in value on the Bluewater...I essentially got my money back, except for the extras I added on..maybe lost $300 after the tax benefit of trading in.

The 12 footer was around 5k. 

I did end up moving the axle rearward, about a foot, and moved the opening arms forward, so the trailer opens wider. I needed to do it for my usage. Again super easy with a drill, some bolts and nuts...and a forklift with 7 foot forks. The quality of the construction meant my modifications were easy and did not compromise the trailer.

Love this trailer.

I have a fourteen foot lighning trailer. They seem to be similar quality to trition. I got a smoking deal since it was a demo, never left the lot. 3500 back in 2010.

Got lots and lots of miles on my Triton clamshell. The thing that won me as a loyal Triton customer is this. The trailer was 4 years old and I had a problem with the black paint falling off the clamshell. They took it back to the distributor and installed a brand new one even though it obviously had been well used. They just made sure I was the original owner.They didn't have to do squat.Maybe they didn't want a real ugly trailer with half the paint gone and a big Triton sticker on the side,I don't know.But now I'm a very happy Triton owner.Seems everybody compares their trailer to a Triton.That speaks volumes.

beware there is junk out there

what manufacturers are putting good trailers on the road?

Got lots and lots of miles on my Triton clamshell. The thing that won me as a loyal Triton customer is this. The trailer was 4 years old and I had a problem with the black paint falling off the clamshell. They took it back to the distributor and installed a brand new one even though it obviously had been well used. They just made sure I was the original owner.They didn't have to do squat.Maybe they didn't want a real ugly trailer with half the paint gone and a big Triton sticker on the side,I don't know.But now I'm a very happy Triton owner.Seems everybody compares their trailer to a Triton.That speaks volumes.

A buddy of mine worked for Briggs and Stratton, and then Honda, in the sales and marketing departments.

He told to me that Briggs could make a comparable motor to the Honda, They'd refine the manufacturing and make a motor every bit as good as Honda, but it would cost the same as a Honda.

Briggs has always been a cheap, usable motor,,,that's their claim to fame. It takes time and marketing to change peoples perceptions, and maybe not worth it.

Look at Honda and Nissan from the 70's, Hyundai from the 80's..

They were cheap econo boxes at the time

Took them years, but Honda has Acura, Nissan Infinity, Hyundai is now a major player.

They are now seen as premium brands, for good reason.

The "lesser" trailer mfr's could bring themselves up to "premium"..it will just take time and money.

A buddy of mine worked for Briggs and Stratton, and then Honda, in the sales and marketing departments.

He told to me that Briggs could make a comparable motor to the Honda, They'd refine the manufacturing and make a motor every bit as good as Honda, but it would cost the same as a Honda.

Briggs has always been a cheap, usable motor,,,that's their claim to fame. It takes time and marketing to change peoples perceptions, and maybe not worth it.

Look at Honda and Nissan from the 70's, Hyundai from the 80's..

They were cheap econo boxes at the time

Took them years, but Honda has Acura, Nissan Infinity, Hyundai is now a major player.

They are now seen as premium brands, for good reason.

The "lesser" trailer mfr's could bring themselves up to "premium"..it will just take time and money.

briggs is building a better engine now and honda is going to crap 

briggs is building a better engine now and honda is going to crap

Vanguard commercial series is stellar. Better then a Honda and they are V Twin engines. I have Two of these, 3 years old no trouble yet. They were made in japan and are top end brigs motors.

Vanguard commercial series is stellar. Better then a Honda and they are V Twin engines. I have Two of these, 3 years old no trouble yet. They were made in japan and are top end brigs motors.

I guess my conversation was probably a dozen years ago.

Good to see Briggs made smart moves.

North American vehicles, some anyway, are every bit as good as the offshore vehicles.

I've owned them, and have been very happy.

Gm's flagships,  Cadillac and Corvette are going well past what my original views of North American cars are.

For decades, Gm's answer was to jam the biggest, heaviest, gas sucking motor into a piece of crap chassis..who cares how it brakes and handles.

No longer.

GM has refined it's top end cars so much that they compete and win against Europe's finest.

I'm biased.

I own Japanese performance cars, and always have been biased to European cars..

Look at the new CTS-V...it's quite a car..

I guess my conversation was probably a dozen years ago.

Good to see Briggs made smart moves.

North American vehicles, some anyway, are every bit as good as the offshore vehicles.

I've owned them, and have been very happy.

Gm's flagships, Cadillac and Corvette are going

well past what my original views of North

American cars are.

For decades, Gm's answer was to jam the biggest, heaviest, gas sucking motor into a piece of crap chassis..who cares how it brakes and

handles.

No longer.

GM has refined it's top end cars so much that they compete and win against Europe's finest.

I'm biased.

I own Japanese performance cars, and always have been biased to European cars..

Look at the new CTS-V...it's quite a car..

I won't touch a gm car again unless it is a corvette. Catera I had from 1998 was the worst piece of crap ever. Engine went at 65,000 kms because fly wheel failed, took out the crank. No warranty because it was more then 3 years old. A few few years later they recalled them to install a different flywheel balancing system.

I won't touch a gm car again unless it is a corvette. Catera I had from 1998 was the worst piece of crap ever. Engine went at 65,000 kms because fly wheel failed, took out the crank. No warranty because it was more then 3 years old. A few few years later they recalled them to install a different flywheel balancing system.

If you're basing your opinion of GM on the Catera,to put it mildly,you're way off base.And you didn't do your homework.BTW, I put a new engine in a 2015 Corvette this week. Just sayin'.

He has to be right though.....He He....

That wasn't the only gm lemon I have had, before that had a boneville SE. Dam thing left me stranded about 6 times in 4 years, alernator would fail every 30,000 kms without warning. Gm never did come up with a fix for that one. First one was under warranty, paid out about 2k in alternators plus another 1k in towing charges. I am bitter against gm and all of third past lemons. Trucks are good though, less issues with them by far.

There are lemons no matter who you choose.  

My Toyotas have been very good for reliability, but both were built in Japan and I think this makes a difference.,  The quality of everything is going down and prices are going up.  I expect the prices of new will find there way up due to the CDN Dollar plummet.

My next vehicle will not be a Toyota because of their piss poor Navigation system with the most outdated maps and convoluted menu system.  Also their remote start system turns the vehicle off when you open the door so you have to start it twice.  Higher price, less technology, but if Made in Japan, solid quality.

Customer Experience vs Cover your ass from liability.  Toyota.... the Customer always loses.  IMO

Our old Dodges just rattle along flawlessly

I still have the 2002 liberty. Use it as a winter beater. 240,000 trouble free Km's! Love that 3.7 litre.

Our old Dodges just rattle along flawlessly 

Nobody will dispute the reliability of the Cummins diesel.

Archived