Late Season Ride

sledjunk

Yes there's gas in Hornepayne.  Esso coming into town at the tracks.

I seen that just wasn't sure if it was still open. So fuel in Hearst and kap too?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is gas in Hornepayne yes.. No need to carry it.

I would like to make it to duberville! Says it is three hundred Km's from Hearst. Anyone know if there is gas in hornpayne or do we have to carry enough to make it?

I might be into that. Let me know how your plans go. Pm me here or over there...lol

Just checked for rooms in Liskeard and everything is booked. Kirkland lake still has some. Better decide soon I guess.

6AM teaser for y'all .....

11061268_804883522914384_663484167677380

Started lightly last night around 9, this was clean yesterday, right to the iceberg parking lot.

I would like to make it to duberville! Says it is three hundred Km's from Hearst. Anyone know if there is gas in hornpayne or do we have to carry enough to make it?

I would like to make it to groomerguys area too,stay in hearst & ride there & back in one long day

I would like to make it to groomerguys area too,stay in hearst & ride there & back in one long day

Let me know what your final plans are. You just riding with your daughter and or Bill too? I would love to make it to see Luc. Going to make reservations, once I know what people are doing.

Let me know what your final plans are. You just riding with your daughter and or Bill too? I would love to make it to see Luc. Going to make reservations, once I know what people are doing.

bill & his son...will let u know when we book,put some gears in your dad's 600 for hi-ways

Well it looks like me and a buddy are driving up Friday afternoon to Kirkland lake. Then sledding to Cochrane Saturday and then a loop around Cochrane Sunday and back to Kirkland lake Monday. Forecast looks good up there can't wait.

bill,sledjunk & I are stayin in kap at super 8 thurs 26-sun-30 for our final ride...best book room asap..all welcome to join us

bill,sledjunk & I are stayin in kap at super 8 thurs 26-sun-30 for our final ride...best book room asap..all welcome to join us

Yep I'm still waiting for 100% conformation for another buddy.

Tried for rooms in new Liskeard and their booked soild next weekend.

You booked three nights there?

If the north is full up for accommodations try heading east, way east. Saw on the news last night New Brunswick and Newfoundland are getting about 40 cms of fresh snow. Lucky #$%^

Was in downtown Port Severn yesterday.... trails are cooked unless you want to beat up on your sled. Too much snirt and too many bare spots. We saw one die hard sledder pull into the Amco for breakfast but that was it. Lots of ice still but some parts of the ice come with lots of slush as well.

You booked three nights there?

did,but can cancel within 24 hrs so wait & see what up with others

Ok, good to know you can do that!

anyone else gonna make the trip to kap ?

I am not sure about the saddle bag idea.  My preference would be to base in Kap and ride the local loops.  Would allow for recovery for those who "discuss trail conditions" into the wee hours :poke2:

I am not sure about the saddle bag idea.  My preference would be to base in Kap and ride the local loops.  Would allow for recovery for those who "discuss trail conditions" into the wee hours :poke2:

sometimes "trail condition" discussions also do loops,over & over...

Booked at the comfort inn Kirkland Lake Friday and the westway Saturday and Sunday in Cochrane. Plan is arriving at comfort inn at noon Friday then a ride around Kirkland Lake. Saturday morning head to Cochrane via timmins for a longer run. Then head to smooth rock falls and kap then back to Cochrane Sunday ride. Back to Kirkland Lake the short way through Iroquois Falls Monday.

anyone else gonna make the trip to kap ?

I Am going! Starting out Tuesday morning and heading to hurst. I will be back in kap Thursday night if all goes well. Going to make the run down to dub and back.

When someone decides what is going on, you can let me know.

"Was in downtown Port Severn yesterday.... trails are cooked unless you want to beat up on your sled. Too much snirt and too many bare spots. We saw one die hard sledder pull into the Amco for breakfast but that was it. Lots of ice still but some parts of the ice come with lots of slush as well."

Actually the trails from port severn to georgian bay are more than adequate. From the Amco under the 400 is obviously all dirt but after that the trail is 99% snow covered.

Leaving behind the Amco to little lake is still all good ice ( no open water yet). Taking the trail from little go home bay to South Bay is more than passable to get to georgian bay. Wouldn't be using new carbides though.

As for gbay, there is remarkably very little slush. Road to hope island yesterday and was presently surprised. From west side of giants tomb straight to hope is 13 km. first 1km was snow covered pack ice( a lot rough but could have been worse) and the rest was a very smooth ride with a few small cracks to avoid.

Heading out now to see if getting to trail 17 is doable and will be riding from honey harbour to parry sound the rest of the week... Lots of ice

Actually the trails from port severn to georgian bay are more than adequate. From the Amco under the 400 is obviously all dirt but after that the trail is 99% snow covered.

Leaving behind the Amco to little lake is still all good ice ( no open water yet). Taking the trail from little go home bay to South Bay is more than passable to get to georgian bay. Wouldn't be using new carbides though.

As for gbay, there is remarkably very little slush. Road to hope island yesterday and was presently surprised. From west side of giants tomb straight to hope is 13 km. first 1km was snow covered pack ice( a lot rough but could have been worse) and the rest was a very smooth ride with a few small cracks to avoid.

Heading out now to see if getting to trail 17 is doable and will be riding from honey harbour to parry sound the rest of the week... Lots of ice

Glad you got out. The ice should be good for a while yet as you mentioned. 17 is likely one of the best options since it really is a chain of lakes and then of course Georgian Bay itself. Just a matter of getting to it depending on where you start from. That's the good thing about the area. You can usually count on extending the riding by hitting the ice.

My late riding partner is officially out, so I'm planning on either heading to new liskard( like to start there but not sure trails will hold up for return) or Cochrane probably Sunday or Monday, but flexible.   I'd like to head towards Hearst and possible down to Wawa,  but not sure where I'll stop each night.  I'd love to meet up with some OC'ers either for a day or longer, but don't want to be a third wheel.  

In reading this thread, maybe I should do day rides out of kap or somewhere,  but would like to cover some more ground. Five days riding, two days driving?

Anyways, I'm easy, just want to get some more sledding in, and will have an extra spot on my trailer, just not sure if I'm leaving from TO, or Apsley. 

Booked at the comfort inn Kirkland Lake Friday and the westway Saturday and Sunday in Cochrane. Plan is arriving at comfort inn at noon Friday then a ride around Kirkland Lake. Saturday morning head to Cochrane via timmins for a longer run. Then head to smooth rock falls and kap then back to Cochrane Sunday ride. Back to Kirkland Lake the short way through Iroquois Falls Monday.

We will be at the Westway Thursday night, and Saturday night. Feel free to chat us up if you see us...

Damn, you guys are MEAN!!!  I have no sled and all I am reading on here is how the heck you lucky guys are going north.  DAMN DAMN why did I get rid of the sled already!!

Have fun guys and please ride safe.  Sledjunk, WD and Bill are great guys.  Can't wait to read the stories after this trip. 

P.S. IQ Turbo and all the others posting on here. I haven't had the luxury of meeting you yet, hopefully next year.  Have fun guys!!

Archived