Iron skillet in Kearney

irnskllet

I agree. Your food is excellent and Blake G is a good man. Thanks for becoming a sponsor.

X2  We will stop in this winter for sure when we are up in your neck of the woods.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Martin

We'd be honored to stop by and park. We drive a white Ford F150 with Cap and pull and enclosed 12' Trailer. We plan to leave here in Everett just before six so should be there around the time you open. Thanks.

Dave & Tess

lol...enuff about blake already...sure he's a great guy,tons of laffs(almost too funny)got into helping snowcrest,signed up every eatery in area,promotes sledding every chance & a great asset to sleddeing but...where was I going with this...o ya thx

iron skillet your food is outstanding...& thx for smoke that morning,love record player too

On a per capita basis, Kearney has a tremendous number of dedicated snowmobilers and supporters of snowmobiling. It is almost bizarre to spend a few days in that area.

Just watched Justin's Chopped Canada episode, you did great with those tough ingredients, congrats on making to the final round.  You should have won, and I know not everything as it seems on TV, but even if the winner is even half as smug and annoying as they portray him, I think people would think twice about visiting his restaurant.  Whereas after seeing the way you cooked and your personality people will search out your restaurant.  You should have "Chopped Canada Finalist" on some of your ad's, lots of us foodies out there that will go out of way to check out great food.

Looking forward to visiting again.

cheers

Rob

Just watched Justin's Chopped Canada episode, you did great with those tough ingredients, congrats on making to the final round.  You should have won, and I know not everything as it seems on TV, but even if the winner is even half as smug and annoying as they portray him, I think people would think twice about visiting his restaurant.  Whereas after seeing the way you cooked and your personality people will search out your restaurant.  You should have "Chopped Canada Finalist" on some of your ad's, lots of us foodies out there that will go out of way to check out great food.

Looking forward to visiting again.

cheers

Rob

You are absolutely correct Chandos!  Justin SHOULD have won!  There were a ton of complaints called in on that episode.....Justin ROCKS!  And he is one AWESOME chef too ;)  .....so are Martin and Kelly I might add...their baked goodies are to DIE FOR!  (**drooling**)

:drool-1:

Welcome aboard.  Finally got to drop by your place Tuesday and Wednesday.  Great food!

Where were you staying Dave?  And why didn't you tell me you were gonna be in my neck of the woods??!!!!  Next trime - let me know if you are coming Kearney way - would love to meet at the Skillet for some great food and then perhaps ride some awesome trails too!   :nana:

Where were you staying Dave?  And why didn't you tell me you were gonna be in my neck of the woods??!!!!  Next trime - let me know if you are coming Kearney way - would love to meet at the Skillet for some great food and then perhaps ride some awesome trails too!   :nana:

I was staying with WD and crew at his brothers cottage.  We rode the area Sunday through Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Another amateur video. This one shows how to pick up donuts at the Iron Skillet, and head south.

There is a "back trail" that runs from Rickward's Polaris down to Fetterley's Garage (F.G.) and the Iron Skillet (I.S.). I drew the trail in green because it does not appear on the Interactive Trail Guide, even though it is groomed trail. The quickest way to get to the gas station or restaurant from D is to run up the street if there is some snow cover. It's a few hundred metres. Some local Kearney sledders such as snowchopper or Baylaker can correct any mistakes I have made here.

attachicon.gifkearney2.jpg

From Rickwards to Fetterleys garage and through town you are on the Highland Rovers trail # 97.This is the "back trail" that is being referred to. From Rickwards going across the front of the sled store you are now on the Almaguin Snowmobile trail # 302.Hope this helps... 

From Rickwards to Fetterleys garage and through town you are on the Highland Rovers trail # 97.This is the "back trail" that is being referred to. From Rickwards going across the front of the sled store you are now on the Almaguin Snowmobile trail # 302.Hope this helps...

Yes, that makes sense. The interactive trail guide shows 97 running down the road (Highway 518) between Rickward's and Fetterley's, but 97 actually runs parallel to the road, a couple of hundred metres or so to the west.

I found the skillet too after running around town and asked the lady at the gas station where it was. I was looking for 302 trail not 97, so it is abit confusing. Martin said he had more signs but someone stole them. They really need a sign before the gas station pointing to the 302 trail. Lots of people just turn around there and go back to D after getting gas.

Another amateur video. This one shows how to pick up donuts at the Iron Skillet, and head south.

love the videos blake, quality is great 

you keep a good pace :)

Enjoyed this one as well. "How to pick up donuts" lol

Some towns actually need this type of 'play by play' to get around.

Hope that the Iron Skillet signs 'stay up' and business continues to be strong. 

I bet they do, wouldn't surprise me if the main competitor is taking the skillet signs down, same thing is happening to Silversands , signs gone and people are being told they are closed

Happened up north in Elliot Lake when a family opened a resort in winter (Dunlop Lake Lodge). 

Folks will come to town because there's more options, not less. 

I found the skillet too after running around town and asked the lady at the gas station where it was. I was looking for 302 trail not 97, so it is abit confusing. Martin said he had more signs but someone stole them. They really need a sign before the gas station pointing to the 302 trail. Lots of people just turn around there and go back to D after getting gas.

Too hopefully end some confusion when coming up the D or 101b from the south you come to an intersection at rain lake road. There is an old church that sits kitty corner to the trail. The 97 trail starts there and continues through town, across the bridge,through the community center parking lot and to the right of Fetterleys Garage. You actually enter the back yard of Fetterleys Garage . In the back yard of Fetterleys Garage you will see a trail going to your left. This will take you right into the Iron Skillets parking lot.If you continue on and stay to the right (don't take the trail to the Skillet) you continue on the  trail to Bevans road which you cross and then enter the parking lot of  Rickwards KwikMart Store and Algonquin Outfitters store. If you continue across the front of Rickwards Polaris (blue building)you are now on the Almaguin District Club trail #302. There is a sign on the hydro pole indicating this.  Hope this helps.......

Too hopefully end some confusion when coming up the D or 101b from the south you come to an intersection at rain lake road. There is an old church that sits kitty corner to the trail. The 97 trail starts there and continues through town, across the bridge,through the community center parking lot and to the right of Fetterleys Garage. You actually enter the back yard of Fetterleys Garage . In the back yard of Fetterleys Garage you will see a trail going to your left. This will take you right into the Iron Skillets parking lot.If you continue on and stay to the right (don't take the trail to the Skillet) you continue on the  trail to Bevans road which you cross and then enter the parking lot of  Rickwards KwikMart Store and Algonquin Outfitters store. If you continue across the front of Rickwards Polaris (blue building)you are now on the Almaguin District Club trail #302. There is a sign on the hydro pole indicating this.  Hope this helps.......

Yes it does but some sledders I know could not find the Skillet last week and ate at Suds instead 

I bet they do, wouldn't surprise me if the main competitor is taking the skillet signs down, same thing is happening to Silversands , signs gone and people are being told they are closed

I was told they were closed and went buy there and was shocked to found them open. Strange the place across the lake is saying that!

I was told they were closed and went buy there and was shocked to found them open. Strange the place across the lake is saying that!

not really, that lodge owner owns edgewater, suds on main and the bush co. in dwight, its actually pretty crappy they are doing that

I didn't realize they own all three places either. It is just nasty and will come back to haunt them. No wonder signs are going missing!

Archived