Switching to Skidoo

lakejoe

I think the Gade might have a bigger cooler also. I know my 800 shorty runs a lot hotter than the wifes 600 shorty so the bigger cooler with the 800 Gade might be a benefit. That being said I wouldn't give up my 800 but the 600 sure works well. Swapped sleds with the wife and I'd be happy riding the 600 but she found the 800 a bit more to hang on to.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously considering the switch from my Apex to a 1200 or 800 etec.  My main concern is power, love the pull and top end of the Apex and concerned the 1200 will disappoint me but like the reliability?  I'm thinking 800 etec for more power but I've read they are ticking time bombs and I do ride solo 75% of the time because of my schedule so that concerns me. I'm a fanatic for maintenance so is it possible to keep these 800 etecs from blowing up if you're on top of things???

I've got 2 800's in the last 2 weeks, piston completely exploded on both, Mag sides.  Drop-in engines for both, that bad.  Both are 2013's, one at about 8k's and the other around 6000 km's.  Both of these units are run by guys that ride lots of backcountry, they run 'em hard, lots of full-throttle .... LOTS of it.

So would I say they're unreliable ?  For 95% of riders, No.  But for the other 5 % .... 

At any rate, I'd get the 900 ACE over the 1200 for the fuel mileage and lighter weight, and I don't have a need for extreme speeds.  The 1200 sure makes me giggle every time I hammer the gas on one though !!!

Good question. The great feedback from everyone here seems to point to the Renegade 1200. The 800 is interesting and seems to have gotten good reviews from all of the talking heads who make videos about snowmobiling. I've heard the reliability is under control now, and it's a great combo paired with the Renegade. In addition to all of that power, you'd also get the latest chassis and styling, which is admittedly minor compared to what the 1200 sits in, but it is newer...

With a standard 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, I guess the only risk is blowing it up and getting stranded. That's a big ONLY though!

Been doing a bit of reading/research and I see some are still having problems. Admittedly, I never read the whole thread, but I did read the last post and it sounds like no fix has been found yet?

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/723281-inconsistancy-on-2014-renegade-x-1200/

The 1200 Renegade is what I am currently interested in the most too as I believe it is likely the best choice for my riding style and the trails I ride on, but I must say, reading about some current issues, (like above and clutching etc) has me second guessing (again) if I should be leaving Yamaha and going to Doo?

Just wish I had an opportunity to ride a 12+ Vector LTX with EPS (excellent reviews on TY) and the 1200 Renegade back to back. If the 1200 with R-Motion is far superior to the LTX then it would be a no brainer, but if the LTX was close, then I'd likely stick with Yamaha. (jmo)

Don't hesitate on the gade. I ride those trails every weekend and it wont slow you down one bit over a 120.

600 etec will be much better on fuel unless your running 80 mph up in Cochrane or Quebec. If your in Muskoka its significantly better than the 800.

600 will run with the vector any day of the week 

Just wish I had an opportunity to ride a 12+ Vector LTX with EPS (excellent reviews on TY) and the 1200 Renegade back to back. If the 1200 with R-Motion is far superior to the LTX then it would be a no brainer, but if the LTX was close, then I'd likely stick with Yamaha. (jmo)

The '13 Vector LTX was the sled I was considering before buying the '14 Viper. The dealer in Barrie had some great deals last spring/summer on the Vector LTX but I ultimately went with the Viper due to rider stance (knees below the hips).

I believe that Domino and 14Snow are on the 1200 Renegades (they're 1200's, just not sure of the model). Having ridden with them through Quebec and northern Ontario without any issues, you can't go wrong with the Ski-Doo 1200 when it comes to reliability.

The '13 Vector LTX was the sled I was considering before buying the '14 Viper. The dealer in Barrie had some great deals last spring/summer on the Vector LTX but I ultimately went with the Viper due to rider stance (knees below the hips).

I believe that Domino and 14Snow are on the 1200 Renegades (they're 1200's, just not sure of the model). Having ridden with them through Quebec and northern Ontario without any issues, you can't go wrong with the Ski-Doo 1200 when it comes to reliability.

I currently can't find a new non current 12 and up Vector LTX anywhere, and like I mentioned, they get excellent reviews on Ty and a lot of guys are switching to them from their Apex's.

I have also heard and read great things about the 1200's as well, especially the R-Motion suspension, and that is why I am currently leaning towards one, but still struggling on which to choose.   :banghead:

I met Domino about two weeks back, and he was riding a 1200 GSX.

I have a 1200 shorty and I really like it. I have approx. 13500kms on it. The only warranty issue I have had was the gas gauge sending unit quit working the first year I had owned it. I have changed the track after the first season because something went through it and tore a 4 inch long flap on the inside. This could happen to any sled. After I had a couple of seasons on it I had noticed that the a-arm bushings were worn.It was on the sled stand and you could grab the ski tip and lift it up a bit and this would rock the a-arms back and forth a very little bit. I changed out the factory cheap plastic bushings and put in oil lite bushings from a guy on Dootalk. The a-arms are still nice and tight this year. There is also a guy on Dootalk that sells greasable bushings for the front suspension and also the rear. The biggest issue that I have encountered is the primary clutch. Mine has the tra 5 on it and the 14's and 15's have the new e-drive primary. You will be spending some money here as the tra 5 requires a little more maintenance then the old tra's. I have replaced buttons,o rings and rollers last year and have replaced the ramps this year as they had a groove about half way up on them. I have changed the clutch springs every couple of years as I like to have max(best) performance. I have put 5500kms on my sled this year I will have to put new buttons and o rings in it for sure because it is rattling pretty good. Brp offers a kit for around 140 bucks which includes rollers, buttons, O-rings and a spring retaining cup. Other then changing the oil and filter once every year and changing the chain case oil every year, I also replace the sliders every year because they are inexpensive and replace any worn wheel bearings. Hope this helps....       

THIS JUST IN !!!

New real life endurance/torture test for Doo 1200's.

Let my wife ride it.....  :angry-smiley-005:

Sounds like a story????

1964964_672649929458520_1240254091_n.jpg

Sorry guys I couldn't resist...lol

Three pages into the topic...and Nunz loses it.

Good one.

I've been waiting in the bushes getting my weapon ready.. Lol

LMAO that is a good one Nunz.  You are on it buddy!! 

If they survive Domino they must be tough!

He sure did have more then his fair share of trouble with the 500 ss engine!

Sounds like a story????

You'll hear it in much greater detail ... likely this weekend, but undoubtedly soon.

Sorry guys I couldn't resist...lol

So much for 1st impressions, I thought you were an ok guy ....

At least let me stand up before you kick me again.   :icon_slap2:

Sorry bout that Mike.. I'll await the return jab...

Archived