More Stupidity

revrnd

Very sad news indeed, but one thing I noticed was that it states both the sled and pedestrian where eastbound on the same side of the road. This tells me that the pedestrian was walking with traffic, which I think is against the law? You always walk facing traffic when there is no sidewalk, unless you are Kathleen Wynne while running. Maybe he could have gotten out of the way had he seen the sled? Still two people dead and still a sad story.

You are assuming that the sled was on the proper side of the road and the pedestrian wasn't... are you sure the sled wasn't on the wrong side of the road. I have seen sleds running the wrong side of the road lots of times. Especially when one side has more snow than the other. Many of us often simply choose the side with the most snow.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Education, peer pressure, time. Drinking and driving has finally evolved into a shamefull act. Talking on a cell phone, or reading a smart phone while driving is slowly being accepted as being as being just as bad as drinking and driving. Somehow the attitude that is ok to act like an idiot on a snowmobile (boat, ATV, personal watercraft) is cool is still out there. I understand in an overly regulated world it is fun to push the limits, but there is a place and time.

Lee valley road is a secondary road (no sidewalks)

Most of it is also in a very rural area.

Not the pedestrians fault for sure.

Also has a 40kmh speed limit where this happened. Clearly the sledder was at fault, end of story.

You are assuming that the sled was on the proper side of the road and the pedestrian wasn't... are you sure the sled wasn't on the wrong side of the road. I have seen sleds running the wrong side of the road lots of times. Especially when one side has more snow than the other. Many of us often simply choose the side with the most snow.

My assumption was made considering it says they where both heading east on the south side of the road suggesting the sled was on the correct side and the pedestrian was on the wrong side. Obviously the sledder was at fault for going too fast, but the pedestrian possibly could have put himself in a safer position. Doesn't really matter who was at fault as the damage has been done.

My assumption was made considering it says they where both heading east on the south side of the road suggesting the sled was on the correct side and the pedestrian was on the wrong side. Obviously the sledder was at fault for going too fast, but the pedestrian possibly could have put himself in a safer position. Doesn't really matter who was at fault as the damage has been done.

Gotcha... I didn't know about the south part just heard east

They wont do that again.

I find that some riders once they get onto a road think they can go faster and have more control . The roads flat , usually hard packed thus giving them the idea that it's safer to ride fast on . I find myself going slower on the road as I feel I have way less control than if I was on the trail .  Over the years there's been other riders that have run right into the back of parked cars / trucks speed must be a factor I would think . 

Very sad news indeed, but one thing I noticed was that it states both the sled and pedestrian where eastbound on the south side of the road. This suggests the pedestrian was walking with traffic, which I think is against the law? You always walk facing traffic when there is no sidewalk, unless you are Kathleen Wynne while running. Maybe he could have gotten out of the way had he seen the sled? Still two people dead and still a sad story.

there is no law that states you must walk facing traffic,only a suggestion as it is safer. If the speed limit was less then 80km for the road(no sure how close to town the accident was),that means the speed limit for the sled would have been 20km I think. If it was 80km for the road I think the speed limit for the sled is 50km? Very hard to kill both people at either of those posted limits.

Snowmobile Speed Limits

50 km/h - on snowmobile trails
20 km/h - on roads where the speed limit is 50 km/h or less

50 km/h - on roads where the speed limit is over 50 km/h

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/snowmobile.shtml

Now two people are dead and we argue who was a fault! I think at this point it does nothing to help either of them. All we can do is point out ways for both sledders and pedestrians to help avoid the same fate.

On the pedestrians side of it walking facing traffic would have been a good idea and why its pointed out as the safe thing to do. Wearing reflective clothing also a good idea. Both could save your life!

On the sledders side of it speed was the factor! Kind of self explanitory!

Now two people are dead and we argue who was a fault! I think at this point it does nothing to help either of them. All we can do is point out ways for both sledders and pedestrians to help avoid the same fate.

On the pedestrians side of it walking facing traffic would have been a good idea and why its pointed out as the safe thing to do. Wearing reflective clothing also a good idea. Both could save your life!

On the sledders side of it speed was the factor! Kind of self explanitory!

you perceive this is an argument about fault, when it is more about awareness and prevention,,, at some point in time both the pedestrian and the operator had an opportunity to avoid the contact,,

here is another sad one that occured two days ago on the Ranger Lake Rd just North of the Sault. Victim was identified today.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=66393

Another tragedy!

As all of these are.  We can assign blame and point out mistakes all we want, but it is still tragic and devastating for the family and friends of those involved.  My condolences go out to all who are involved.

And please, everyone ride safe.

here is another sad one that occured two days ago on the Ranger Lake Rd just North of the Sault. Victim was identified today.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=66393

It was mentioned last night on the MCTV 11 PM news.

you perceive this is an argument about fault, when it is more about awareness and prevention,,, at some point in time both the pedestrian and the operator had an opportunity to avoid the contact,,

It may have started as awareness but was quickly gravitating towards fault. I was only pointing out awareness and prevention! Did ya read my whole post?

Jay, that would make a good PSA.

Good clip, too bad we didn't see the speedo .....

Perfect example

that's just stupid fast! How can somebody be that dumb to go that fast at night on a road with cars...wow. 

coming back from bracebridge three sleds gunned it across the road, and if I didn't know the road crossing was there, they would all be roadkill. 

Archived