Wonder what yamaha has up their sleeve....

Baylaker

13 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Until the power steering unit fails and it costs upwards of $1500 to replace.

Has there been failures? I assume so by your comment but I have never heard of any. Of course, when on TY, I go into the old Vector section so it's unlikely I'd read about them there?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Until the power steering unit fails and it costs upwards of $1500 to replace

Tee-Hee-Hee!  I remember when the naysayers said such things about 2-stroke oil injection.  And how did that work out?

It happened to me, but I ended buying a used unit to replace it.

37 minutes ago, whits-end said:

And the odd oil pump packed up over the years, but statistically few.

Yamaha did have a problem in 94 or 95 with oil pumps. The pumps would wear out the pin and go to full stroke. There was a warranty campaign to replace all oil pumps that year. VMax 5/600 models only

5 hours ago, Grimm said:

That can't be a common problem though. Have a Yamaha atv with 500 hours never an issue with power steering. 

10 hours ago, Grimm said:

Replacement parts cost would never prevent me from buying something. 

The hate being aimed at my beloved yamaha apex is killing me! As for the power steering failures I've only ever heard of one and that was Grimm on TY I follow that site very closely. The Apex is a purpose built trail sled and its one of the best at that job in my opinion! It's not for putting on your back and going cross country weed whacking! I've ridden a lot of newer sleds from ski-doo and polaris, for what I do I wouldn't trade it for anything! I've had plenty of people run there mouths who like to drink kool aid  and alway think there brand new sled is better then my 2011 apex and thats fine its there opinion. I've got +21,000km on my Apex and haven't had to stare at too many tail lights over the years and never on the end of a rope. "Can't ride a Warranty" I have to leave this negativity and go ride my old iron! PS looking forward to the release even if its just more cat stuff.

image7.jpeg

32 minutes ago, canadian nytro said:

The hate being aimed at my beloved yamaha apex is killing me! As for the power steering failures I've only ever heard of one and that was Grimm on TY I follow that site very closely. The Apex is a purpose built trail sled and its one of the best at that job in my opinion! It's not for putting on your back and going cross country weed whacking! I've ridden a lot of newer sleds from ski-doo and polaris, for what I do I wouldn't trade it for anything! I've had plenty of people run there mouths who like to drink kool aid  and alway think there brand new sled is better then my 2011 apex and thats fine its there opinion. I've got +21,000km on my Apex and haven't had to stare at too many tail lights over the years and never on the end of a rope. "Can't ride a Warranty" I have to leave this negativity and go ride my old iron! PS looking forward to the release even if its just more cat stuff.

image7.jpeg

X2, but with my Vector's.

1 hour ago, canadian nytro said:

image7.jpeg

They can keep up and even be faster on a straight smooth trail.

2 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

Replacement parts cost would never prevent me from buying something. 

True. There are 10's and thousands of atv's out on market by Yamaha and power steering failures aren't common, even on sleds they aren't common. I have tractors 20 plus years old, used in a crappy dusty environment, power steering still original, never repaired. 

I agree with you CanNyytro, I have love my 15 apex, my lovely wife has a 2018 1200 tnt 

i hate it, handles like  a moose on ice, 

Anybody that bashes apex s , knows crap about them

9 hours ago, Old Sledder said:

X3

And I'll X4 that! :cheers:

Arctic cats release is today, so that should give us all an idea on what’s to come lol

i love the cat chassis! Its great, and although not a skidoo suspension...it’s not that far off.

Unless something radically better comes along, I'm going to replace my (25,000 km) Apex with another one. When the time comes.

What it may lack in some areas, it MORE than makes up in others.

I maintain, whomever decided to put that R1 motor into a sled was 1/2 evil genius, 1/2 mad scientist.

53 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Unless something radically better comes along, I'm going to replace my (25,000 km) Apex with another one. When the time comes.

What it may lack in some areas, it MORE than makes up in others.

I maintain, whomever decided to put that R1 motor into a sled was 1/2 evil genius, 1/2 mad scientist.

No doubt that is the best engine ever put in a sled.  would love to see it crammed in a cat chasis.

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Arctic cats release is today, so that should give us all an idea on what’s to come lol

i love the cat chassis! Its great, and although not a skidoo suspension...it’s not that far off.

I love my Cat with the Yamaha engine.

I will say this... I'd love to have the Apex engine under the hood of my Skidoo.

2 hours ago, Grimm said:

I will say this... I'd love to have the Apex engine under the hood of my Skidoo.

Lol. Why what is wrong with your skidoo engine? Doo makes pretty good four strokes and most start in cold with little isssues. 

33 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Lol. Why what is wrong with your skidoo engine? Doo makes pretty good four strokes and most start in cold with little isssues. 

i would guess because the apex engine is on a level all its own when it comes to four strokes. 160hp from a liter is very impressive any way you look at it. It is a superbike engine, and revs like an F1 car.

16 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I have tractors 20 plus years old, used in a crappy dusty environment, power steering still original, never repaired. 

My '65 International has power steering too but hydraulic, not electric servo.  Unless yours are a lot different I don't see the relevance here.  

As far as EPS is concerned, I love it on my ATV and my sled, and so does my wife; but we're old.  Our son is in his 30's, and he noticed a huge difference in his shoulders at the end of a riding day.

9 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

never run an R1 engine then ehh they are impressive the rest of the sled is a tank though 

Archived