Who's running B103 this week?

Blake G

Just wondering who might be running B103 from Haliburton to Fenelon Falls or vice versa this week?

I am looking at doing it tomorrow (Wed) "at least" starting at 945 ish from one end or the other. I believe Grizzlygriff and others might be interested? Anyone else?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me know Blake G which end you decide to start at. I might be available to run solo tomorrow. Just drop a note when you've decided which end. It doesn't matter to me.

Will do Dave!

Hey, Blake --

I was thinking about riding somewhere tomorrow as well...was considering either Whitney or Haliburton.  Might be game to join you and finally get some break-in kms on my new sled.  How about starting from the Haliburton end?...much closer for me (from Huntsville) than Fenelon. I'm about 1.5 hrs' drive door-to-door to the top of the rail line at Head Lake Park in Haliburton.

Please keep me posted on your plans, thanks.

irREV 

Thinking about riding it on Thursday.

Looks like Blake is going to have to sleep over somewhere Barberch.  LOL

Looks like Blake is going to have to sleep over somewhere Barberch.  LOL

I know they have toy hauler RV's but they tend to be somewhat of a summer use trailer. Many years ago they started making horse trailers with living space on the front for people going to horse shows. How about a sled trailer set up with a separated heated bunk in the front for sleeping with a porta potti. Think in terms of a 4 place sled trailer with a wall separating the front half, heavily insulated and heated with a battery and solar panels for lighting.

Hello iREVerent and DaveTess.

I have heard from nobody considering starting tomorrow from the Fenelon Falls end, so how about meeting at Head Lake Park in Haliburton around 945 a.m. tomorrow? I have to get my daughter to school by 830 ish, and it should take me about an hour and ten minutes to get to Haliburton.

I see it is about 70 km from Haliburton to Fenelon by traiil, so the round trip would be 140 km (plus maybe a bit more if we check out one or two available trails connecting to the B103). Assuming we stop for coffee or a bite somewhere, maybe we'd be back to Haliburton around 2 or 3?

Please advise me of your plans.

Perhaps we might run into some other folks along the way...

Thanks Blake. Will let you know.

Hello iREVerent and DaveTess.

I have heard from nobody considering starting tomorrow from the Fenelon Falls end, so how about meeting at Head Lake Park in Haliburton around 945 a.m. tomorrow? I have to get my daughter to school by 830 ish, and it should take me about an hour and ten minutes to get to Haliburton.

I see it is about 70 km from Haliburton to Fenelon by traiil, so the round trip would be 140 km (plus maybe a bit more if we check out one or two available trails connecting to the B103). Assuming we stop for coffee or a bite somewhere, maybe we'd be back to Haliburton around 2 or 3?

Please advise me of your plans.

Perhaps we might run into some other folks along the way...

Blake (& Dave) -- sounds good to us...Mrs. irREVerent and I will get away from H'ville by 8 at the latest, and will see you in Head Lake Park around 9:30-9:45 tomorrow.  My spies tell me that there is a lot less snow south from Kinmount to Fenelon than between Haliburton & Kinmount [despite the fact that the south section is green and the north (HCSA section) is yellow on the IAFTG]...so we'll have to take it as it comes.  

Perfect. See you then.

Still lots of time to hear from others who might start with us, or meet us on the trail....

Did anyone else notice the sled tracks on head lake maybe 30 feet offshore for maybe 1 km along the park side in haliburton! Noticed them Sunday morning crazy

Did anyone else notice the sled tracks on head lake maybe 30 feet offshore for maybe 1 km along the park side in haliburton! Noticed them Sunday morning crazy

The OPP have now put up caution tape at the bottom of Head lake, to prevent from people venturing out on their sleds.

Blake I would definately recomend taking trail 340, its a nice trail taking you through the Pinery. I rode it last winter under limited conditions and it was super... Showing green , take it for sure....

Sounds great, Paul. Thank you.

Blake (& Dave) -- sounds good to us...Mrs. irREVerent and I will get away from H'ville by 8 at the latest, and will see you in Head Lake Park around 9:30-9:45 tomorrow.  My spies tell me that there is a lot less snow south from Kinmount to Fenelon than between Haliburton & Kinmount [despite the fact that the south section is green and the north (HCSA section) is yellow on the IAFTG]...so we'll have to take it as it comes.

Your spies are correct! We rode that section yesterday. Kinmount to Haliburton really good, Kinmount to Fenelon was good for early ride. There was a washout south of Pinery road but it was cold enough yesterday it was frozen. You can take the side trails to the west side to get around. Have fun

be out for sure if the stop switch shows up for the sled this week

Where's the easiest place to get fuel in Fenelon Falls, and the best place for a snack?

There is a restaurant on the right where B103 crosses 121 right in Fenelon, just changed names and can't remember what it's called now. Ultramar is about a block up 121 to south across from Home Hardware. The other option for gas would be UPI across from Tims, a little more road running to get there.

Great! Thanks, bunker.

I can help with a couple of things here, infernobuster it was actually myself who installed the Trail Ends sign and the caution tape after 2 sleds crossed on Sunday morning. Head Lake was liquid the previous day. The Rail line in HCSA territory was holding up well as of yesterday and will be groomed again on Thursday nite. You can avoid the washout south of Kinmount by taking the Pinery trail that loops back on the B103. Blake, in Fenelon Bunker's fuel info is correct and the restaurant I was at last weekend overlooks the lock. When you get to the bridge that was set afire look to your left and the lock is right there. Had to work for a couple days so I can't join you but have a good ride!! Please remember there is NO SAFE ICE IN HALIBURTON COUNTY!! if IT'S NOT STAKED DON'T GO!!

Livin'

I can help with a couple of things here, infernobuster it was actually myself who installed the Trail Ends sign and the caution tape after 2 sleds crossed on Sunday morning. Head Lake was liquid the previous day. The Rail line in HCSA territory was holding up well as of yesterday and will be groomed again on Thursday nite. You can avoid the washout south of Kinmount by taking the Pinery trail that loops back on the B103. Blake, in Fenelon Bunker's fuel info is correct and the restaurant I was at last weekend overlooks the lock. When you get to the bridge that was set afire look to your left and the lock is right there. Had to work for a couple days so I can't join you but have a good ride!! Please remember there is NO SAFE ICE IN HALIBURTON COUNTY!! if IT'S NOT STAKED DON'T GO!!

Living

How bad is this washout? Heading up to Fenelon tomorrow with a few guys and wan to make sure that it is passable. We will take the side trail one direction for sure but .....

That being said, if you moved the grooming up to tonight it would be great!  lol

The washout is in the KLSA system. With the temps the last few days it is probably set up. Provided the ice riders from Head Lake haven't ridden that way!! Rail line in HCSA was ridden by a club member yesterday afternoon and reported as holding up just fine. I will be back up Thursday nite to prepare for this weekend.

Livin'

Went through the wash out on Sunday. My sled looked like an atv that was out mudding. It's probably frozen now.

Archived