Storm Watch for Ontario - Jan 12th

LuvMyViper

Finally, we have the first Winter Storm Watch of the season (last year it was on Jan 30th)... Not a great system but it will bring snow and colder air. woot

Feel free to post stomr updates for your area during the storm (or more storm info)...

Special weather statement

Updated by Environment Canada

At 11:44 AM EST Wednesday 11 January 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Special weather statement for:

City of Toronto

Windsor - Essex - Chatham-Kent

Sarnia - Lambton

Elgin

London - Middlesex

Simcoe - Delhi - Norfolk

Dunnville - Caledonia - Haldimand

Oxford - Brant

Niagara

City of Hamilton

Halton - Peel

York - Durham

Huron - Perth

Waterloo - Wellington

Dufferin - Innisfil

Grey - Bruce

Barrie - Orillia - Midland

Belleville - Quinte - Northumberland

Kingston - Prince Edward

Peterborough - Kawartha Lakes

Stirling - Tweed - South Frontenac

Bancroft - Bon Echo Park

Brockville - Leeds and Grenville

City of Ottawa

Gatineau

Prescott and Russell

Cornwall - Morrisburg

Smiths Falls - Lanark - Sharbot Lake

Parry Sound - Muskoka

Haliburton

Renfrew - Pembroke - Barry's Bay

Algonquin

Burk's Falls - Bayfield Inlet.

A wintery change is in the offing for late in the week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

==discussion==

Following an extraordinary delay in true winter weather across much

of Ontario, mother nature is finally making a concerted attempt at

delivering more seasonal conditions. A significant disturbance over

Tennessee this morning will slowly intensify as it heads for the

Lower Great Lakes through Thursday, then stall over the region on

Friday. Increasing cloud today will be followed by rain by tonight

over Southern Ontario. Periods of rain will continue for much

Of Thursday from the southwest to Lake Huron to the west end of Lake

Ontario. Mixed rain and wet snow will fall just north of this zone.

Snow is most likely east of Georgian Bay across much of Eastern

Ontario, although there is a risk of freezing rain. Heaviest

Snowfall amounts near 15 centimetres are possible northeast

Of Georgian Bay but there is considerable uncertainty as to the exact

swath of heavy snow. Warnings may be issued as the path becomes more

certain.

Colder, blustery weather is slated for Friday, along with snow for

most of Southern Ontario. Appreciable snowfall amounts of 5 to 10

centimetres or more are possible in many areas, including the greater

Toronto area. The Friday morning commute may be quite hazardous due

to brisk winds, snow and blowing snow and falling temperatures in

many areas.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as

warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment

Canada at WWW.WEATHEROFFICE.GC.CA

January 11, 2012 — A series of low-pressure systems will combine to bring a messy mix to parts of eastern Canada this week.

Three low pressure systems tracking from the Prairies and the United States are battling it out across eastern Canada.

“The combination of lows will bring active weather in the form of snow and freezing rain to Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes through Saturday,” says Dayna Vettese, a meteorologist at The Weather Network.

Snowfall amounts aren't expected to be overwhelming, but the change from mild, spring-like conditions could catch some people off guard. Motorists are urged to exercise caution on the roads and approach winter driving with the right tactics.

ONTARIO

The systems will start as showers or a rain-snow mix from Toronto-area to Ottawa overnight Wednesday.

Mixed precipitation will continue throughout the day Thursday, with snow further north, and a risk of freezing rain in the Kingston-Cornwall area.

By the time all is said and done, Toronto could see a few centimetres of snow, while eastern Ontario, including Ottawa, could see up to 10 cm. The heaviest snow is expected to pile up in northern Ontario from Wawa to Kapuskasing with up to 25 cm possible locally.

Environment Canada warns that the morning commute on Friday may be a hazardous one due to brisk winds, snow and blowing snow and falling temperatures in many areas.

ONPrecipJan11.jpg

This site is my weather watch for Muskoka,once you start seeing snowmobile tracks on the

ground you are good to go.

http://www.twp.seguin.on.ca/docs/webcam/mainframe.html?width=721&height=617

Amazing though..5-10 cm's is causing so much HYPE ​ it is absolutely mind-boggling! Let it fall for three days straight. Cold is returning though!!

latest news is not that great more rain then snow,and then warm returning later next week....i hope not..we need some heavy blasts

Haliburton is still calling for snow. The more normal Wnter temps are making a comeback too. Long range has some good snow events upcoming. I think anywhere south of Barrie will see rain or just plain mess. Cottage country promises to see some decent snow. Here's hoping anyways.

Muskoka will get snow

We are hoping for some snow anyway, riding from Fenelon tomorrow and Bancroft Friday

TWN says there's a freezing rain warning for Apsley, but it doesn't extend north to Bancroft.

it was supposed to be freezing rain in Caledon/Orangeville this morning. low and behold it was mainly rain this morn at 6AM and my wife just called and said that it was full on rain at 830AM. That's it I have lost faith in this winter...

Fair amount of freezing rain at my place this morning. Switched over to snow after an hour of rain around 5am. So here is hoping.

it was supposed to be freezing rain in Caledon/Orangeville this morning. low and behold it was mainly rain this morn at 6AM and my wife just called and said that it was full on rain at 830AM. That's it I have lost faith in this winter...

I think we are pretty much doomed in the south at this point. Rain today and more in the forecast for next week.

It takes the snow from late Dec and January to build the base to deal with the warm temps and ever increasing sun of February/March.

If we some how manage 1 or 2 weeks, I'd be amazed.

snow is coming down good in Lindsay right now, looks to br abouy 1 cm in last 1/2 hour

Well to be honest I think this winter has been a bust for all but the far north. I's love to get up there, but the time is a little difficult.....looks like I should have bought daily permits this year because I ahve been out oooo 0 days thus far

Well to be honest I think this winter has been a bust for all but the far north. I's love to get up there, but the time is a little difficult.....looks like I should have bought daily permits this year because I ahve been out oooo 0 days thus far

Did you buy daily insurance?

Muskoka will get snow

haha I like the conviction in that statement.

We're getting "light" snow on Lake Joe right now and have been steadily since early this morning.

About a 1/4 inch of snow now it's raining. What a season!!!!!

About an inch here today but it's like +3 out right.

If you can believe TWN's 14day forecast it's saying a week Sunday and Monday they are 15+ each day. But I'm not crossing my fingers.

were screwed....weather network for next 2 weeks calls for rain and +temps after jan 20th.....last year the season kinda ended mid to end feb.....im severly depressed and po-d...its been 1 kick to my swollen nutz after and after from mother nature....worst part is if any trail opens up within a 3 hour drive from me..every hard on with a sled is goona rip apart that trail like a nympho cheerleader.......we will all be riding snirt

were screwed....weather network for next 2 weeks calls for rain and +temps after jan 20th.....last year the season kinda ended mid to end feb.....im severly depressed and po-d...its been 1 kick to my swollen nutz after and after from mother nature....worst part is if any trail opens up within a 3 hour drive from me..every hard on with a sled is goona rip apart that trail like a nympho cheerleader.......we will all be riding snirt

I really like the cheerlearder quote, I will use that. Last year, if you remember, late in February there was a warm-up. We were scheduled to start a trip from New Liskeard and ride to Longlac and back. We couldn't start in New Liskeard (because of poor conditions) and we didn't get to Longlac (trail closures), but we had one of the best rips we have ever done. Started in Kirkland Lake and went to Wawa and back. These were some of the best 1100 miles miles we have ever ridden. We went from Hearst to Hornepayne in less than 2 hours. Keep your head up and adjust to the conditions and ride where you can. Regardless of where, ride safely.

We've gotten around 3" in Apsley. Very little freezing rain before the switch this morning. Waiting to see was the next wave brings (not snowing in Apsley right now).

Its been 1 kick to my swollen nutz after and after from mother nature....

Upside is its hasn't been cold enought to be a kick with a frozen boot :) LOL

Sorry the door was open and I just couldn't pass that one up.

Very light snow in Apsley right now. The radar on TWN is showing more snow south of here in the Stoney Lake area.

Not much in Owen Sound I can still see some grass in my yard .

Archived