Pickerel River Bridge

Canuck

If anyone gets a sniff that "Winter's here" in the Pickerel River bridge area (Hwy 400/69), please advise.

Have a desire to head up that way from Parry Sound, but was hoping to find relevant trail conditions (and travel estimate from Parry Sound) from someone local.

Tentative plans are to attend Snowcrest Riders 37th Annual Pancake Breakfast on Sat. January 29th (10 am) and then head up towards the bridges for an overnight trip.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made this run once during good snow year, since then, any further attempt blocked by lack of snow and logging around the Britt area north. Also, heard rumours of Shell station in Pointe Aux Barille closing...have not reported to forum as this is unconfirmed, but might be something to keep in mind.

Its been snowing since yesterday morning here in Sudbury..............finally!!

I'm not sure how much snow we got I haven't went outside yet but I think its pretty good.

Its been snowing since yesterday morning here in Sudbury..............finally!!

I'm not sure how much snow we got I haven't went outside yet but I think its pretty good.

That is good news. Hope to get back to your area for a ride again this year.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll call ahead to Point au Baril Shell, Slomo. Thanks.

Can anyone provide a rough estimate of time to sled from Parry Sound to Pickerel River bridge?

Bridge to Owl's Nest?

Now Canuck I haven done this ride for many many moon's.....depending on your route it is a good day 5/7hrs...if the shell is closed harris lk should have fuel...the C comes into Bying inlet/Britt a little different way now(i have not rode it)it's a new trail about 3yrs ago,rich says ceder is closed I would head up his way for a overnighter.

Thanks Lep. Plan is to stay at Owl's Nest.

Thanks.

I have done it in 4 hours easy. Parry Sound to the bridges that is.

yeah but the 400 does not count,,,, :banghead::banghead::coffeespit:

Plans are in the works to be grooming the C trail on Thursday, Cedar Village is closed for the winter, Esso at the Key River is open,

Wish I had more info but waiting for ever CM we can get.

Rich

A little update, i thought tomorow was thursday, There will Three BR 180s out working in the area with a start time of 6.00 am ish.

Looking up!!

Rich

Parry Sound to the bridges is not a very long ride, could easily do there and back in a day also. A number of times we have done the ride around Nipissing with Parry Sound to Sudbury being one of the days. We did this before the bridges, after one bridge and now after two. Don't miss the old shuttle service, but the colorful commentary on the ride was always a treat.

• 2 years later...

We've wanted head up to up to the Pickerel River Bridge for some time, but weather hasn't co-operated. Had to cancel reservation in the past with Rich (Owl's Nest Lodge) and go to another area.

Noticed it was yellow (limited) today.

If anyone in the area can post a real time update, it would be greatly appreciated. Would like to head up end of January.

Nobel to Alban and back was a good all day trip when we did it a few years ago. as others have said, the snow hasnt cooperated in the last few years.

key river may or may not have gas, they were sold out when we went thru there, truck was on its way. still sold out when we came back down.

and i have heard they are not friendly/helpful towards snowmobile clubs. or they werent in the past. driving by this summer, seems to be the same owners.

shell closing in pointe au baril will be a shame. fry stand and lcbo going too then i imagine? due to new highway?

shell closing in pointe au baril will be a shame. fry stand and lcbo going too then i imagine? due to new highway?

If you were to say anything to the powers to be in Toronto they would say you should've filled up @ the Petrocan by the Seguin Trail crossing. :icon_doh: .

Oh oh.

NEVER saw this coming.

Witnessed it first hand in the North Bay area, but never forsaw this on the 400 extension.

Recall Britt, Key River (mentioned above) and Magnetewan in that area.

Will check maps carefully before departing.

As for the powers that be in Toronto, they've sold out to enRoute. Saw those stations first hand last weekend on a drive to Kingston. Who got those contracts?

Enroute is Canadian Tire, I believe. At least the gas portion.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll call ahead to Point au Baril Shell, Slomo. Thanks.

Nobel to Alban and back was a good all day trip when we did it a few years ago. as others have said, the snow hasnt cooperated in the last few years.

Canuck's first post in this thread was back in 2011. At the time, Larry's Tavern, Eden Rock Motel (historic site - former home of Canadian literary critic Jean-Paul Georges Ringeaux ) were closed and torn down for highway expansion - so would it seem for other businesses. My last drive up there this fall (2012), the Shell in P.A.B. convenience store and chip stand were still open. It would still be worthwhile to check though.

The Esso in Nobel is still open - wildbill reported about a month ago. It is on a short feeder trail from the C into Nobel on Portage Lake.

Generally, the place at Key River is open with pumps.

Canuck's first post in this thread was back in 2011. At the time, Larry's Tavern, Eden Rock Motel (historic site - former home of Canadian literary critic Jean-Paul Georges Ringeaux ) were closed and torn down for highway expansion - so would it seem for other businesses. My last drive up there this fall (2012), the Shell in P.A.B. convenience store and chip stand were still open. It would still be worthwhile to check though.

The Esso in Nobel is still open - wildbill reported about a month ago. It is on a short feeder trail from the C into Nobel on Portage Lake.

Larrys,now that brings back memories.He was quite the actor

At the time, Larry's Tavern, were closed and torn down for highway expansion - so would it seem for other businesses.

i wondered if that was the fate of Larry's. Just seems like it closed so long ago and nothign has change thru there wrt the hiway yet.

Certainly was a heck of a place to stop for lunch.

No one can comment on the attitude of Key River Marina towards sledders/groomers?

Archived