PSA from OFSC & OPP

sledjunk

"Ownership" in Ontario is the nickname, if you will, of the registration for the sled. A copy is fine, as long as it is a 'true' copy. Basically, both sides. You should be fine.

Sledjunk,

Thanks for answering my question.

I guess I have always had the right paperwork.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And make sure you carry both the green and yellow sheets that came with your permit. The last time I got stopped the cop didn't know what ones I had to have good thing I had both. My dad only had only had the green one that says carry this with you. Both cops went over my yellow sheet for 10mins trying to see if it said you have to carry this copy as well trying to give my dad a ticket, they never did and let us go.

Remeber better have and not need than need and not have

Read the last line of the requirements in the press release. It says valid permit and receipt. Some say you dont have to, but this release says otherwise.

You do need to carry the green copy (customer receipt) of your trail permit forms. The yellow copy is not required and states " Please retain for your records". A photocopy of the green customer receipt has always been accepted by police officers when I've been checked.

Other than the Trail Permit No. sticker affixed to the yellow copy (already on the green copy), I really can't see why they would want to see the yellow copy. The green copy has the sled VIN & your name & address. The yellow slip has none of this info nor a "request" to carry the proof of purchase w/ you.

Thanks.. Ya learn someting new all the time.. Do the OPP on the trails know this rule too?

Does anyone know if a photocopy of your ownership and insurance OK to show on the trail?

Depends on the officer. For the ownership they have the right to demand the original. As for the insurance you need to be able to provide proof of insurance. I just insured a sled I bought and wanted to use before I had time to receive the insurance certificate in the mail. They e-mailed me a certificate that I printed and is good for that purpose.

Better safe than sorry. I keep all of the sled ownerships and insurance in a small plastic folder I picked up at the sled show from one of the districts for free. It is designed for that purpose. I then have them all in a small ziplock bag in the inside zippered pocket of my jacket. They live there. I always have them and never have to worry about the officer asking for something I may not have.

That's fair, but where does one go to find the precedence? Ignorance is no excuse, I'm told. It is my duty as a citizen to be knowledgeable on those rulings if I am expected to act in accordance of them, but if the information is not accessible I am uncertain how to fulfill my obligation as a citizen. :confused:

Law school and or the law library at any law school. Case law is documented. That is where the lawyers find it. Guys like you and me would have a hard time.

You do need to carry the green copy (customer receipt) of your trail permit forms.

Nobody has answered the question about where it says in the MSVA that you have to carry this. I've looked at the act very carefully and can't find anywhere that says that you have to have your receipt. As someone else noted, the only referance I can find is the "Please Carry this with you" line on the receipt itself. Where is the law that demands this? Not trying to start any arguments, I'd just like to know.

BP

Nobody has answered the question about where it says in the MSVA that you have to carry this. I've looked at the act very carefully and can't find anywhere that says that you have to have your receipt. As someone else noted, the only referance I can find is the "Please Carry this with you" line on the receipt itself. Where is the law that demands this? Not trying to start any arguments, I'd just like to know.

BP

I believe the sheet has the sticker on it that matches the permit. This proves the permit matches the VIN on the sled. Maybe it would be better if the sticker was attached to the ownership like other vehicles and out of province riders were required to carry the sheet.

No I don't know where the law is but if it tells me to carry it and a cop wants it, I think it's best to carry it.

It's not in the MSVA , it's on the permit app which asks you to please carry it ...

You should (please) carry it if you get stopped by OPP and Stop ... Not shall (you have to)........

I know , I know legal mumbo jumbo.....

I always carry mine with my insurance and ownership , why give them any fuel to add to the fire????

:right_on:

You do need to carry the green copy (customer receipt) of your trail permit forms.

/quote]

BP

I know a customer who had his windshield with permit stolen while away on a trip while he was parked overnight in a hotel. Fortunatly he carried his green slip. A trip to the cops to get a police report A stop at a dealer to get a windshield and a replacement pass and he was on his way.If he didn't carry his slip it would have cost him more than a couple of hours.

Thanks, those are all good reasons to carry it, and I do if I'm riding on OFSC trails, but... I have heard people say on this forum, and others that they've been ticketed, or at least hassled about NOT having the receipt with them. The placement of the licence numbers is stated in the regulations. Carrying your licence, insurance and registration is stated in the regulations. The placement of the Trail Permit is stated in the regulations.

How can an officer ticket somebody, or even hassle them, for not having this document if it's not stated in the regulations?

BP

I know a customer who had his windshield with permit stolen while away on a trip while he was parked overnight in a hotel. Fortunatly he carried his green slip. A trip to the cops to get a police report A stop at a dealer to get a windshield and a replacement pass and he was on his way.If he didn't carry his slip it would have cost him more than a couple of hours.

Finally! A rational reason to carry a flimsy piece of paper that can easily be damaged.

BTW, I carry the green slips for all my sleds, but they are not on the sled so if my son or daughter were to get stopped, they would not have them. Also, I have never been asked for it and would probably say that I didn't have it with me.

If you have a police report that shows your windshield was stollen do you still have to pay the $10 replacement fee on the permit? I use to work with a guy that had the plates stollen off his car, and MTO gave him new ones for free because he had a police report.

If you have a police report that shows your windshield was stollen do you still have to pay the $10 replacement fee on the permit? I use to work with a guy that had the plates stollen off his car, and MTO gave him new ones for free because he had a police report.

Yes you still have to pay. The Mto made me pay for a replacement trailer plate after one was stolen.

You should also carry the original bill of sale of when you bought your sled :coffeenose:

You should also carry the original bill of sale of when you bought your sled :coffeenose:

Along with birth certificate Great grandmothers maiden name proof of al ancesters citizenship bill of of sale for all watches,jewlery and cell phones as well as proof of ownership for spare plugs,towrope,spare belt and underwear. As well a current blood test and credit statement.

It is not a big deal to carry the littlle permit but it could make your life simpler.

If it is questionable whether you need it or not then why not carry it with you. Not as though it weighs a lot and kills your fuel consumption. Better safe than sorry. Just on the off chance you are asked for it and then produce it you will be on your way that much sooner.

Interesting thoughts but, the OPP/OFSC have issued a press release with false information. I understand the reasons for producing the green slip, none , and believe that it's a total waste of time. Notice I said "producing'. Just my humble thoughts

It all come down to liquid damage. If I carry the registration, and the green skip and the bag they are in does not do its job, I will only find out when I am asked to produce them. What if they are damaged beyond readable?

Given the windshield theft scenario, I will try to remember to put my green slip in my truck glove box, or in the trailer. I carry extra copies of the insurance slips there also in case of damage as a photo copy of an insurance slip is not adequate....most times ;)

Really since the permit belongs to the MTO they should just beable to run your plates and now if you have a permit or not, same as they do for the reg sticker.

Really since the permit belongs to the MTO they should just beable to run your plates and now if you have a permit or not, same as they do for the reg sticker.

Halt, stop, common sense alarm sounding!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave,that makes too much sense. :banghead::banghead:

The argument would be some buy a val tag but never run OFSC trails. Tick of a box whether a trail permit is attached or not.

Archived