2011 Trips

Canuck

Anyone planning trips yet? All this AGM talk and Sled Show emails are putting me in the mood :shock:

Gowganda Resort is on my list this year (Silent Auction item - :woot:) . Considering the Snow Train from Sault Ste. Marie and then venturing off. Trailer to the Soo and then head north as opposed to Hwy. 11 launch point as in years past.

One thing I thought about last year was an oc.com loop. Basically plan a tour with folks from this forum. Some of the forum sponsors could accommodate us; in other places, we simply get hotel rooms and try to get a hospitality suite (the idea came to me in Kapuskasing where, adjacent to the desk, were a group of revelers from a local business. The desk host said they could put out a wine and cheese spread, upon arrival, and then we venture off for dinner). It doesn't have to be Kap (I recall some saying Kap is not a 'natural' stop) - open to all ideas for routes.

Glad to throw this around on the forum, a September 'meet and greet' or during the sled show.

The ride would be open to all. You know your sled's capabilities. Doesn't have to be new, fast, etc. Could be a slow group and a fast group. There are many ways to get to the next town.

Intriguing idea.  I am interested.

I was planning on going to the AGM but................................roflmao.gif

I'm intrigued by your OC group ride idea. Depart on the Sunday following the OC4K ride ?

So far a four day weekend RAN leaving from the MouseHouse and taking in the Bridges.

And a three day Family weekend ride with the crowd from 'TheRapids'. Whitestone resort is getting some thought.

If it is a 'good ice' winter, I'm still hoping to do the Killarney Manitoulin trip I've had on my agenda for several years. It would replace the RAN, leaving from here and scheduled for longer than 4 days. From what I hear, one can spend a full day just on the Big Island.

Six Mile Lake is on our Radar. Let me know when you've replenished the Scotch cupboard. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Intriguing idea.  I am interested.

Ditto on the idea of an OC ride :right_on: ...depending on when and where.

...So far a four day weekend RAN leaving from the MouseHouse and taking in the Bridges...

icon_e_biggrin.gif

Three times in the last five seasons, we have tried to plan our northern saddle-bag trip around getting to the Bridges...but each time, we've been scuppered by weather and/or poor trail conditions in that area, and thus, the need to re-route further north. But we're not prepared to give up on the idea yet.

If it is a 'good ice' winter, I'm still hoping to do the Killarney Manitoulin trip I've had on my agenda for several years. It would replace the RAN, leaving from here and scheduled for longer than 4 days. From what I hear, one can spend a full day just on the Big Island.

I would be very interested in this,,,,, :right_on:

X2 on Gowganda Lake Camp , we will try to make it there at least twice , once at the season opening and once near the end , we will do Cochrane in the middle of the season , and lots around Muskoka at nights , hoping to get my usual 5000 Kms in if Mother nature co-operates more for sure

MM

Planning to do at least two 2-day rides in the District 17 Kenora area this season. Also have a 1 day 1500 km ride planned that runs Manitoba, Ontario, Minnesota and North Dakota. Plus many single day < 300 mile rides in the Kenora - Eastern Manitoba region.

Riding out of Rainy River

1ONPlanRide.jpg

Riding out of NWA Minnesota

1ONPlanRide2.jpg

Proposed 1500 km 24 hour ride

1500kmProposedRide.jpg

rws,,,when I die I want to back as you,,,,, :right_on:

My biggest single trip was around Lake Superior,,,,the year before there was a trail,,,I rode with 3 district reps,one from Barrie,one from Atikoken and one from North Bay,,,,,going out there was 8 of us,after Atikoken there was 4 of us.2700 miles in 15 days days..... :right_on:

I will try and get out your way this winter,,,,,,,, :right_on::mrgreen:

I'd like to ride District 17 someday as well. Will they ever reconnect the west?

This year I think we're going to Moosonee again, we have a few new riders with us that have ever been and none of us has ever ridden the A103 into Smooth Rock, from there we'll try to get to Longlac, then back to our starting point which may be near Timmins. I sure hope the A107A is groomed this year.

Can't wait, hope there is more snow than last year.

Also have a 1 day 1500 km ride planned that runs Manitoba, Ontario, Minnesota and North Dakota.

Tell me that's a typo :shock:

Some great ideas above.

Also have a 1 day 1500 km ride planned that runs Manitoba, Ontario, Minnesota and North Dakota.

Some great ideas above.

No typo...

A couple of friends and I did a 1000+ km (658 mile) one day ride last season..went real well...so now we're gonna do a 1500 km ride.

Couple of links covering the 1000+ km ride:

Link 1

Link 2

1000 km. is awesome; 1500 is unimaginable. Way to go, RWS.

1000 km. is awesome; 1500 is unimaginable. Way to go, RWS.

He's obviously never been on a Tour when I am leading ! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

150 would be a challenge.... :headbang:

Some great ideas above.

No typo...

A couple of friends and I did a 1000+ km (658 mile) one day ride last season..went real well...so now we're gonna do a 1500 km ride.

Couple of links covering the 1000+ km ride:

Link 1

Link 2

Good Stuff RWS.

We do some long rides but nothing like that. You should get yourself some sponsors and do the ride for good cause. You could do the ride, make some $$$$$ for the cause and take less $$$$$ from your own pocket.

Good Luck on the long ride year. Ride safe.

Here is my favorite little sunday afternoon loop :right_on:

post-21701-128239784114.jpg

Here is my favorite little sunday afternoon loop right_on.gif

post-21701-128239784114.jpg

Great Fish and Chips and the Silver Pines !

French onion soup for starts and a 2 piece fish and chips with a coke :right_on:

Must have been all ice riding right... since you wouldn't go above the 50 KM/H speed limit. At 50 KM/H 1000 KM would be an 20 hour day and for 1500 KM it couldn't be done since that is a 30 hour day and there's only 24 hours in a day. :wavey:

Must have been all ice riding right... since you wouldn't go above the 50 KM/H speed limit. At 50 KM/H 1000 KM would be an 20 hour day and for 1500 KM it couldn't be done since that is a 30 hour day and there's only 24 hours in a day. :wavey:

Only 293 km will be run on Ontario trails subject to 50 km/h. The rest of the Ontario portion is on unmarked non-trail with the majority of the 1500 km (with speed limits according to each jurisdiction)on Manitoba (sensible speeds according to Snoman site), Minnesota ( 50 mph) and North Dakota (reasonable speeds not to exceed posted limits on associated road)trails.

Sounds like the Cannonball Run. :-D

Have fun.

Sounds like the Cannonball Run. :-D

Have fun.

or Iron Butt rides as done with motorcycles... Iron Butt Association

I've completed some of them too... several SaddleSore 1000 rides and a grueling Bun Burner Gold 1500 miles (2414 km) in under 24 hours....check the Certified IBA Finishers

man I'm thinking I'm a glutton for punishment :-o

Would love to do the Agawa Canyon tour in 2011, but will depend on time and $, otherwise we do just do our normal riding, Orillia, Midland, yada yada and hopefully Barrie and Wasaga if the snow cooperates this year.

Archived