Huntsville To Pembroke?

Evil

...at least somebody has my back here! :curse: (REVED)

That was the only way! Back to back or back against the wall.

Oh nothing like .25 cent drafts.

Or .10 cent when I first started going there ! :D

Evil better to stay at Pinestone and ride to Huntsville otherwise Minden to Dwight is too short (have done it with ceyhoopers in about 1 hour :o ) DO NOT STAY AT THE ROCKCLIFFE ! Reved may your sleds be switched for that suggestion :lol:

Evil better to stay at Pinestone and ride to Huntsville otherwise Minden to Dwight is too short (have done it with ceyhoopers in about 1 hour :o ) DO NOT STAY AT THE ROCKCLIFFE ! Reved may your sleds be switched for that suggestion :lol:

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks Bill

Bringing the maps out now to have a look!

Or .10 cent when I first started going there ! :D

You're happy about that? :crazy:

:P

Okay, one more thing.

How far from Haliburton to Huntsville? Huntsville to Minden is 83 miles but I can't find a distance for the ride from Haliburton to Huntsville.

Also, somebody mentioned Best Western in Pembroke however I don't see it on Revrnd's accommodation listing. Is it on the trail? There is a Comfort Inn and Travelodge that seem like good places to stay. Any suggestions?

Evil

Okay, one more thing.

How far from Haliburton to Huntsville? Huntsville to Minden is 83 miles but I can't find a distance for the ride from Haliburton to Huntsville.

Also, somebody mentioned Best Western in Pembroke however I don't see it on Revrnd's accommodation listing. Is it on the trail? There is a Comfort Inn and Travelodge that seem like good places to stay. Any suggestions?

Evil

Best Western is on the trail (121) and is across the street from the truck stop at Hwy 17 and 41

Okay, one more thing.

Evil

It's the BW Pembroke Inn. The 2 motels you mention are off the beaten path in town.

There's a new Quality Inn up in Petawawa across from the TOP trail. Kelseys in front & gas north/west & south/east of the motel. Beer & LCBO stores just south/east of there.

Petawawa might be handier than Pembroke. To get to the BW, you're in & out the same trail for a ways. If you leave Petawawa & leave town on the trail you're heading directly for Whitney. Gas is available in Madawaska.

Finally, since it appears my mileage listing needs a couple of additions, what would you consider the best (trailwise & directness) routes from Haliburton & Minden to Huntsville? I'll chop up my GPS tracks & figure out the mileages from your suggestions.

Okay, one more thing.

Evil

It's the BW Pembroke Inn. The 2 motels you mention are off the beaten path in town.

There's a new Quality Inn up in Petawawa across from the TOP trail. Kelseys in front & gas north/west & south/east of the motel. Beer & LCBO stores just south/east of there.

Petawawa might be handier than Pembroke. To get to the BW, you're in & out the same trail for a ways. If you leave Petawawa & leave town on the trail you're heading directly for Whitney. Gas is available in Madawaska.

Finally, since it appears my mileage listing needs a couple of additions, what would you consider the best (trailwise & directness) routes from Haliburton & Minden to Huntsville? I'll chop up my GPS tracks & figure out the mileages from your suggestions.

Thanks Revrnd!

Sounds like Petawawa is a good place to stay!

I will wait for the mileage from Haliburton & Huntsville.

The Comfort Inn at Pembroke is OK but it is a long way off the trail towards Whitney to get to or at least it was 2-3 years ago. It's right down by the river at the east end of town. There was an upscale restaurant next door to it that had good food.

The Comfort Inn at Pembroke is OK but it is a long way off the trail towards Whitney to get to or at least it was 2-3 years ago. It's right down by the river at the east end of town. There was an upscale restaurant next door to it that had good food.

Thanks for the info.

I'm kinda liking the Petawawa accommodations since it's right off the main trail.

If you or someone looking for nice cottages check out pine ridge park and resort Petawawa. Usually groomed trail to the door. 1 mile north of the railbed.

We've always stayed there when we're up to Eganville for the races. But I'd have to agree it's not the best for a sledder travelling, unless there was a foot of snow on the streets.

Lot's of places to stay in the Dorset/Dwight area.

There are, but I believe she's already booked at the Hidden Valley for our OC ride.

I'm looking to do the RAP tour, another weekend. I have 4 days to ride and was looking at trailering to North Bay the first day and leaving that morning. I was just wondering what my stops would be.

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Minden to Huntsville or Dwight?

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

Hey, Evil...sorry I'm catching up to this thread a little late...been away.

After cottaging in Haliburton for 20 years and doing RAP twice in the last 12 years, I'll have to agree with STG (oh, the shame of it all :oops: ) ...your proposed itinerary looks good. Here's a few other thoughts.

We've stayed twice at the Pembroke Best Western, and I would highly recommend it, because of proximity to fuel (right across the road), the hotel restaurant and amenities (hot tub & indoor pool), and security for the sleds. And unless things have changed a lot around there in the last 2-3 years, it isn't far off the main trail to Whitney at all. I can't comment on the new hotel at Petawawa, as it wasn't there the last time we did RAP.

If you are looking for a change from Pinestone in Haliburton/Minden area, you could try Sandy Lane Resort...I haven't stayed there, but it is apparently "sledder-friendly", and I've heard good things about it. It's a bit closer to Huntsville than Pinestone. Another option in the same vicinity is Little Hawk Resort, which again has had favourable reports, and is even a bit closer to Huntsville yet.

Hope that helps. Enjoy... :wavey:

Thanks Irreverent

A lot of great info here.

Evil

Also watch along the rock cuts along the railbed east of Whitney. There can be ice buildups on the trail that aren't forgiving.

• 4 weeks later...

Contact Dist' 6 as there will be a couple of detours in the Madawaska & Whitney areas due to bridge issues http://forum.ontarioconditions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5975

Dist' 6: http://www.snowcountryscsa.ca/

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have an issue.

Pinestone in Haliburton is all booked up for the night that I wanted to stay there.

We'll be heading down from Huntsville...........Looking for a place to stay and then heading to Pembroke the next night. Suggestions? I've read some here but I'm just wondering what the best place to stay would be for the direction I'm heading. Feedback, anybody?

Evil

Okay, I have an issue.

Pinestone in Haliburton is all booked up for the night that I wanted to stay there.

We'll be heading down from Huntsville...........Looking for a place to stay and then heading to Pembroke the next night. Suggestions? I've read some here but I'm just wondering what the best place to stay would be for the direction I'm heading. Feedback, anybody?

Evil

Evil -- as per my previous suggestions, you should try Sandy Lane or Little Hawk. They are further west, but also further north, and you could save some of the extra trail miles the next day by cutting off Haliburton village altogether.

Good luck.

Okay, I have an issue.

Evil

Evil -- as per my previous suggestions, you should try Sandy Lane or Little Hawk. They are further west, but also further north, and you could save some of the extra trail miles the next day by cutting off Haliburton village altogether.

Good luck.

hey IRev

I inquired with Little Hawk and they have a 2 night minimum stay. I will check out Sandy Lane. Thanks

Evil

Archived