Huntsville To Pembroke?

Evil

Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum or not but here goes.

How far is Pembroke from Huntsville? I can't find any mileage on Revrnds Mileage chart to help me figure this out.

Is this an easy days ride? What am I looking at?

Evil

I believe that this ride begins in the central forum and finishes in the eastern forum . Although this seems like a straight forward ride . I suspect that you will need to go south into Haliburton then east .It has been years since I rode over that way but I suspect that the trails are typically 10 foot wide winding and scenic and this may be a real hard one days ride or better done in two days . The trails in the cottage country belt are great but not easy to do 300 mile days on .

Do we need a Saddle Bag Tours Forum??

Evil - WildBill's posted one alternative. The other is to go north to North Bay and east to Pembroke. Either way is a tough go on the Muskoka/Haliburton trails - which are beauty trails but not the kind where you can rack up the Cochrane/Hearst kinds of miles.

Huntsville to Pembroke via North Bay is about 500 km.

Shorter following the under the park suggestion of WB's. Estimate, maybe, 360. (?)

(for other comments about 'under the Park' please ask Mother Christmas)

Evil - Either way is a tough go on the Muskoka/Haliburton trails - which are beauty trails but not the kind where you can rack up the Cochrane/Hearst kinds of miles.

You wouldn't have to ride into Huntsville or Haliburton. Lot's of places to stay in the Dorset/Dwight area.

If you can run the lakes you can run from Kearney - Dorset - Raven L - Kennesis L - TOP B - Whitney. Or Kearney - Dorset - TOP B - Carnarvon - Whitney (less lake running).

Haliburton to Petawawa - 229 klicks

Huntsville to Minden 134 klicks

I've lost my eastern Ontario GPS file, so I can't even use that to figure out a distance for you.

My advice is to plan your trip to go thru that area during the week. I've been up in the Dorset area on a Sat' & the traffic made the Paudash trails look like a side trail.

as in the others posts all depends on the route. I have a cottage in Magnetawan and done the trip from there to Petawawa, it is almost 12 hours. From Pembrooke to Minden is about 6 hours and an addtional 2 to Huntsville. The rail line and hydro line are fast runs, execpt for the occasional opp spot checks. The nicer ride is through North Bay, much more scenic.

Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum or not but here goes.

How far is Pembroke from Huntsville? I can't find any mileage on Revrnds Mileage chart to help me figure this out.

Is this an easy days ride? What am I looking at?

Evil

Evil it is about 290 miles from the Best Western in Pembroke to the Comfort Inn on Fairy Lake in Huntsville or 183 to the DeerHurst Inn

Pembroke to huntsville

Best Western

A/B

B

Big Hawk Lake

Sherborne Lake

MSR-64

MSR-61

D101B

MSR-60

Lake of Bays

HGR-54

Peninsula Lk

(DeerHurst 183 miles)

D102B

MSR-88

Fairy Lake

Comfort Inn

[attachment=0]Evil-trip.png[/attachment]

I've lost my eastern Ontario GPS file....

It's coming. ;)

Lot's of places to stay in the Dorset/Dwight area.

There are, but I believe she's already booked at the Hidden Valley for our OC ride.

I'm looking to do the RAP tour, another weekend. I have 4 days to ride and was looking at trailering to North Bay the first day and leaving that morning. I was just wondering what my stops would be.

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Minden to Huntsville or Dwight?

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

There are, but I believe she's already booked at the Hidden Valley for our OC ride.

I'm looking to do the RAP tour, another weekend. I have 4 days to ride and was looking at trailering to North Bay the first day and leaving that morning. I was just wondering what my stops would be.

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

Thanks STG! Anybody stay in Minden, what's there?

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

There was this little place called the Rockcliff ;)

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

Sounds.................................well, uh.............................scary!! Are there any big resorts near by to stay at.....maybe not too far or something?

Was looking on Revrnds Accommodations pages looks like little Hotel/Motels. Any recommendations?

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

Sounds.................................well, uh.............................scary!! Are there any big resorts near by to stay at.....maybe not too far or something?

Was looking on Revrnds Accommodations pages looks like little Hotel/Motels. Any recommendations?

Rockcliffe !!! :shock::shock: NO NO NO NO Evil ..... NO

Stay outside of Minden. Stay at the Pinestone Resort. It's 20 minutes of Railbed and local trail from Minden. If you're going clockwise around the park you'll get to the intersection of before you get to town.

Evil, the Rockcliff is a bar (kinda like Stop 610 up in Connaught). Was really popular in the 70s. We used to have a cottage on Kushog when we got our 1st sled. Very undeveloped trailwise & therefore did most of our riding in the Apsley area.

I was up in the area in January (by truck checking GPS waypoints) & I think more of the accommodations are north of Minden in the Carnarvon area on Twelve Mile, Boshkung, Halls, Kushog & Little Hawk lakes. Check Carnarvon, Halls Lake & Ox Narrows in the list. This is along TOP B & HCSA #8 (new trail designations as per the thread in the East forum).

One place I wouldn't recommend as it got bad internet reports (on OC?) was Beech View. Take a pass on it.

I'm sure there are sledders on here that can probably give you a better idea as to where to stay than I can.

I've lost my eastern Ontario GPS file....

It's coming. ;)

Scott, I got the emails.

You beat me to the punch on the route. The Mapsource software on my PC isn't up to date for TopoCanada, so I couldn't help right now w/ the distance calculation.

North Bay to Pembroke

Pembroke to Minden????

Then return to North Bay

Would this work?

That works.

Rockcliffe !!! :shock::shock: NO NO NO NO Evil ..... NO

Thanks STG...................at least somebody has my back here! :curse: (REVED)

Evil, the Rockcliff is a bar (kinda like Stop 610 up in Connaught). Was really popular in the 70s. We used to have a cottage on Kushog when we got our 1st sled. Very undeveloped trailwise & therefore did most of our riding in the Apsley area.

I was up in the area in January (by truck checking GPS waypoints) & I think more of the accommodations are north of Minden in the Carnarvon area on Twelve Mile, Boshkung, Halls, Kushog & Little Hawk lakes. Check Carnarvon, Halls Lake & Ox Narrows in the list. This is along TOP B & HCSA #8 (new trail designations as per the thread in the East forum).

One place I wouldn't recommend as it got bad internet reports (on OC?) was Beech View. Take a pass on it.

I'm sure there are sledders on here that can probably give you a better idea as to where to stay than I can.

Thanks revrnd!

I'll put out my maps tonight and have a look to see where I'm at. Thanks for all the help folks!

Stay outside of Minden. Stay at the Pinestone Resort. It's 20 minutes of Railbed and local trail from Minden. If you're going clockwise around the park you'll get to the intersection of before you get to town.

This sounds like a great idea
Do we need a Saddle Bag Tours Forum??

It could be a sub-forum in the Main forum.

Suggestions & ideas for sledders travelling by sled. More than just daytrips. Some people probably haven't attempted any trips, so this might be a good start.

Archived