no gas in searchmont???

skidooboy

mo has on her site, the gas station in searchmont burnt down. are there any other options? highly doubtfull you can make it from goulais bay, or heyden to halfway haven or aubrey falls. and you definately cant make it from the soo. you could go to echo bay, and then to aubrey falls. but that still doesnt help the soo, to searchmont, to halfway haven and up to wawa travel. this will crimp the algoma district even further with this and the F trail closure. ski

I was wondering the same thing.

There is another store in searchmont.. "Searchmont Trading Post", not sure if he had gas or not - don't remember.

There is gas in Heyden, which is by the trail.

Also The Zone, bit of a side track though.

If you go with the north (goulais) trail you go by the Goulais General Store.

All of those are still a bit of a hike from Searchmont though.

I was wondering the same thing.

There is another store in searchmont.. "Searchmont Trading Post", not sure if he had gas or not - don't remember.

I think he's the 'new guy'.

May actually have gas. We stopped at a 'Trading Post' near the ski hill for fuel last year.

Someone with local knowledge can advise??

I knew that there was a reason for this forum

:lol:

Thanks for confirming

Please tell me that they found a bad wire!

Better yet - a bad "Federal" circuit breaker...

Yes there is gas in Searchmont ( The new Trading Post ).It's on the corner of Witman Dam road and the Searchmont Highway. They carry a few snowmobile parts (belts, plugs, oil) and bait..I know you can get gas from him after hours too.. He will give you a card and a 24 hour trouble hotline(LOL), If you break down on your sled he will help you out for a price of course.. There is also a new restraunt that opened up in Searchmont.. I have yet to eat in there but it looks decent, I will make sure I stop there this winter for sure ..

highly doubtfull you can make it from goulais bay, or heyden to halfway haven or aubrey falls. and you definately cant make it from the soo. ski

You need to get a Ski-doo, ever since I got my 08' XP, I haven't fueled up at Halfway. That's a 150 mile leg with no issues and even if I did get in trouble I have 3 gallons on the back.

highly doubtfull you can make it from goulais bay, or heyden to halfway haven or aubrey falls. and you definately cant make it from the soo. ski

You need to get a Ski-doo, ever since I got my 08' XP, I haven't fueled up at Halfway. That's a 150 mile leg with no issues and even if I did get in trouble I have 3 gallons on the back.

i understand what you are saying my friend.

you might be able to make it from searchmont to wawa without getting gas. but the thread was started with no gas option in searchmont (it has been taken care of now). heyden to searchmont is about 30 miles by trail. goulais is alittle further but similar. so tack that 30 on to your 150 and you have 180. very few if any sleds have that range without carrying alot of extra fuel.

and even if i could, i wouldnt do that for saftey reasons. plus playing on the offtrail play fields and hydro lines from searchmont to wawa is waaay too fun to pass up. i'll stop get gas, a grilled cheese samich, bowl of soup, and a bottle of water at half way. chew the fat with steve and gail. fuel me and the sled for more playing. there is more to life than trail riding. LOL! exploring and seeing things most only read about in books and mags, is life experience at it's finest.

you will learn one day young grasshopper. then you too will be one with nature, machine, and most important.... yourself. ski

Maybe it's just the cautious side of me but I find in general that there is always a concern about the availability of fuel no matter where you are. You could get there late in the day and they closed or as happened to me once... the pumps weren't working. Whenever I have an opportunity to get fuel I do. Better to have a full tank and no I am always safe than figuring I can make it home on what I have and be wrong.

Maybe it's just the cautious side of me but I find in general that there is always a concern about the availability of fuel no matter where you are. You could get there late in the day and they closed or as happened to me once... the pumps weren't working. Whenever I have an opportunity to get fuel I do. Better to have a full tank and no I am always safe than figuring I can make it home on what I have and be wrong.

A really good plan if your riding with ceyhoopers :poke:

KittyBoy - I think there is editing room in your post. You know as well as I doo that there aint nothing better than trail riding! :curse:

BTW - If you put your sleds on the truck you don't need chains. ;)

my chain thread on snowest is for a good reason. when they put chain rules in effect for where we drive/ride out there, if you dont have chains on the truck, you dont drive till they lift the ban. so i dont want to get stuck (pun intended) when i donthave to. prepare for the worse, expect the best. ski

i understand what you are saying my friend.

you might be able to make it from searchmont to wawa without getting gas. but the thread was started with no gas option in searchmont (it has been taken care of now). heyden to searchmont is about 30 miles by trail. goulais is alittle further but similar. so tack that 30 on to your 150 and you have 180. very few if any sleds have that range without carrying alot of extra fuel.

and even if i could, i wouldnt do that for saftey reasons. plus playing on the offtrail play fields and hydro lines from searchmont to wawa is waaay too fun to pass up. i'll stop get gas, a grilled cheese samich, bowl of soup, and a bottle of water at half way. chew the fat with steve and gail. fuel me and the sled for more playing. there is more to life than trail riding. LOL! exploring and seeing things most only read about in books and mags, is life experience at it's finest.

you will learn one day young grasshopper. then you too will be one with nature, machine, and most important.... yourself. ski

As you get older.... gas stations should be like washrooms.... never pass one without using it; you never know where or when the next one may be. ;)

even a known gas stop is not always reliable.

i have rode from new liskard to kearns.

about 90-100 miles.

we get to the gas station and the hydro was out.

so we go to the resturant.

after about 1/2 hour the hydro came back on....what a relief.

near pickerel river we got caught again....no hydro.

they gave us a phone # of a station with a generator.

we ran the roads and just made it on fumes.

i have also had the pumps run out on me at less then a dollar.

rotating gas shortages was a issue 4-5 years ago.

i was riding in district 5 but was lucky it didnt affect me.

a full tank is a relief.

even a known gas stop is not always reliable.

i have rode from new liskard to kearns.

about 90-100 miles.

we get to the gas station and the hydro was out.

so we go to the resturant.

after about 1/2 hour the hydro came back on....what a relief.

near pickerel river we got caught again....no hydro.

they gave us a phone # of a station with a generator.

we ran the roads and just made it on fumes.

i have also had the pumps run out on me at less then a dollar.

rotating gas shortages was a issue 4-5 years ago.

i was riding in district 5 but was lucky it didnt affect me.

a full tank is a relief.

Wow - I shuddered reading the above.

Some of those events have happened to us as well.

Had a 'gremlin' in old 2 stroke Yamaha Venture, that dealer couldn't fix. Lucky to get 90 km (not miles!) out of a tank. Seem to always stop for petrol now, necessary or not.

I remember looking at the trail map showing fuel available in Bala a couple of years ago. I thought great I can fill up there. Only problem was I couldn't get the sled there. You had to run all the way from the south end of town basically to the north end on bare pavement. Temeprature guage was shooting up not to mention the affect on the sliders carbides and skis. We walked and gave him a deposit on his 5 gallon can. Took us a long time to walk there to get the gas back to the sled to fill up and then take the gas can back and back to the sled. Did this a few times since he only had one can and we had 4 sleds.

Took us a long time to walk there to get the gas back to the sled to fill up and then take the gas can back and back to the sled. Did this a few times since he only had one can and we had 4 sleds.

Ouch.

The stuff we do to go sledding...heh.

• 1 month later...

:( Ya it's to bad what happen to the store in Searchmont) We've been stoping there for years and they where the best people ever, I remember few yrs back breaking down and the owner going right out of her way to help us out, even called everywhere for my parts and driving to sault to pick them up for me, then bring us in a friends heated garage with all tools on hand for us. She spent hrs helping us out and never even said anything and didn't even want to take a penny, you sure won't find that service anywhere I tell you.It was @ least 2 hrs after closing time ,I'll never forget that.At least once they rebuild we'll get all that great service again...I've stop already this year at the other place and wasn't impress on that owner putting the store down it's not right cause I no by experience on service everyone got there cause all us snownmobilers all stick together no matter where u go and its all by word of mouth...so as of that day we are all driving to Wawa(trucks) and going from there, doing white river, manitouwage, terace bay etc.....sorry everyone but that my opinion....(Oh by the way when I stop at Ker-Lin house and talk to both of them , they been still helping out snowmobilers, etc " and its don't surprise me LOL" they even had some gas on hand for my partner that was low and they said their stag area is still available n that another place I like to put our trucks cause she always have fresh Oatmeal cookies.

We CAN"T wait till they rebuild------See Ya Blondie------from digger

What you saying, on HER site she don't have a site maybe you can tell me where so I can go look at that, would be very interesting to let her no about that when I go there in few week to ride and park our trailers @ her stag area where it always was...thanx hear from you soon!!!!!!!!!!

mo has on her site, the gas station in searchmont burnt down. are there any other options? highly doubtfull you can make it from goulais bay, or heyden to halfway haven or aubrey falls. and you definately cant make it from the soo. you could go to echo bay, and then to aubrey falls. but that still doesnt help the soo, to searchmont, to halfway haven and up to wawa travel. this will crimp the algoma district even further with this and the F trail closure. ski

He will give you a card and a 24 hour trouble hotline(LOL), If you break down on your sled he will help you out for a price of course..

Does anyone have this phone number

It would be great to share with the forum members

What you saying, on HER site she don't have a site maybe you can tell me where so I can go look at that, would be very interesting to let her no about that when I go there in few week to ride and park our trailers @ her stag area where it always was...thanx hear from you soon!!!!!!!!!!
mo has on her site' date=' the gas station in searchmont burnt down. are there any other options? highly doubtfull you can make it from goulais bay, or heyden to halfway haven or aubrey falls. and you definately cant make it from the soo. you could go to echo bay, and then to aubrey falls. but that still doesnt help the soo, to searchmont, to halfway haven and up to wawa travel. this will crimp the algoma district even further with this and the F trail closure. ski[/quote']

He was in referance to "Mo".

Mo runs the Northern Lights motel near Wawa. I don't have a link on this putor, but I am sure someone does.

mo i am refering to as ox has pointed out is, a motel owner in wawa who is now closed in the winter time. she has graciously opted to keep running her annual "snow cam" with the canadian snow guage even though they are not open any longer for "our season". she updates the cam with their motel updates and upgrades, personal stuff, funny pics, local, national news, and of course progress of the trails and snow depth. it is a pure informational webpage for everyone.

her folks have a camp near searchmont and passed the info along to her about the fire, she updated her site with the news about this for sledders, quadders, hunters, fisherman and just traveling tourists. nothing more nothing less. so if you are thinking this person had something to do with badmouthing a vendor in searchmont, you have misunderstood the information here.

at the time of the fire, there was only one option for fuel in searchmont, this would have effected everyone traveling there. the info was posted for a heads up for everyone (mostly sledders due to the distance of the next fuel stop). now it seems there is fuel available. no wrong doing or fingerpointing was implied in this post whatsoever.

i cant beleive i have to come on here and defend myself and a hotel owner, close to 200 miles away for nothing we did wrong.

here is the link to mo's website.

Archived