Concrete floor & carbides

b-bry

I park my sleds on a concrete floor in the garage every night. What's a good way to (a) prevent the carbides from scoring the floor, and (B) prevent the concrete floor from wearing the carbides?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I park my sleds on a concrete floor in the garage every night. What's a good way to (a) prevent the carbides from scoring the floor, and (B) prevent the concrete floor from wearing the carbides?

wheels!

Dollies. UTS plays with them all the time :P

Dollies. UTS plays with them all the time :P

Your right! BTW- when do I get all my male dolls back Dom? Barbie is lonely! :P

While you were at work last week, I dropped by your house and I gave them to your wife! :P

A friend puts down plywood sheets.

I thought of that. I also thought of buying more of those plastic runners like I have on the trailer, but I'd need to Tapcon them into the floor, plus they're expensive. I was hoping someone found an inexpensive neat idea. The plywood sounds like the easiest & cheapest.

I park my sleds side by side, but when buddies bring their machines up, the extras need to back in all the way to the back of the garage. That will score the new concrete I'm putting in.

I thought of that. I also thought of buying more of those plastic runners like I have on the trailer, but I'd need to Tapcon them into the floor, plus they're expensive. I was hoping someone found an inexpensive neat idea. The plywood sounds like the easiest & cheapest.

I park my sleds side by side, but when buddies bring their machines up, the extras need to back in all the way to the back of the garage. That will score the new concrete I'm putting in.

I'm thinking similar. If I want to work on the machines then, sure, I'll move them around with the wheelies or whatever. But, if I just want to run them into the garage overnight what's a good solution. Whatever is put down, I don't necessarily want over the summer either so plastic runners installed with tapcons is out for me too.

So far, sounds like plywood (or chipboard). Anyone else have any suggestions? (please be polite) ;)

I'm thinking similar. If I want to work on the machines then, sure, I'll move them around with the wheelies or whatever. But, if I just want to run them into the garage overnight what's a good solution. Whatever is put down, I don't necessarily want over the summer either so plastic runners installed with tapcons is out for me too.

So far, sounds like plywood (or chipboard). Anyone else have any suggestions? (please be polite) ;)

I just use the wheels. As soon as I get the sled near the garage. On goes the wheels and in it goes.

I just use the wheels. As soon as I get the sled near the garage. On goes the wheels and in it goes.

I guess. But sounds kinda awkward. I didn't figure the wheels would stay in place in deep snow. I just want to come home from my run; sled down the trail, sled down my driveway and right into my garage. The snow is knee deep. The idea of having to get off the sled, muck about with wheels in the snow (if they will even stay under the skis in the snow), and then try to drive in - I'm not sure. So, if I finally get the skis in, how do I drive the rest of the sled in ? The studs are going to do the same thing. And I repeat this with how many sleds ?

Well, the SkiWheelz (http://www.skiwheelz.com/) can be flipped down and then you drive into the garage. Because the wheels are on the skis and allow steering, the track doesn't spin and the studs don't damage the floor either.

They actually work really well when you pull up for fuel and the lot is bare asphalt. (Just ask Trax or Wenailem1)

Just remember that if you are parking for any amount of time, you will want to retract the wheels and let it sit on the skis.

Check with WB for pricing.

If these wheels sold for $150 a set I would buy them. I wish the vendor would price them realistically. MSRP is $299 + $20 shipping (all models)

I think they could sell a lot more under the $200 price point.

Any have any thoughts on this? At what price would you buy a set of wheels for your skis?

If these wheels sold for $150 a set I would buy them. I wish the vendor would price them realistically. MSRP is $299 + $20 shipping (all models)

Any have any thoughts on this? At what price would you buy a set of wheels for your skis?

They cut down on wear on driveways too !

They cut down on wear on driveways too !

Can you sell a set to my a$$hole neighbor??? :P

I, too, have seen the manufacturer at previous sled shows. The concept is good and it sounds (SledJunk) like they work as advertised. If these things were being produced in any sort of decent volume they would be a 99 dollar price point. And, until they are offered at a mass market price, he's never going to see the volume to run his costs down.

How much is that artificial ice stuff that people are selling for backyard rinks?

I use stall mats. I used to own a horse farm and had heavy duty rubber mats for the horse stalls (they are heavy), and put down 1 for each sled in the garage. You can buy them at any farm Co-op - not sure what the going rate is for them these days - but it sure beats re-doing your garage floor. OR - if you happen upon any farm auctions in the country - you might stumble upon them cheap! You would need to scrub them and clean them well before you put them in your garage unless you want your garage to smell like a barn however...LOL My 2 cents!

The trouble with plywood or chipboard is that the carbides want to "grab" the wood, and you end up either pushing the wood all over the place, or spinning your track, or both. Plus the wood gets chewed up pretty fast and makes for a soggy mess with the ice and snow melting off your sled...which can then re-freeze into an uneven, slippery, hazardous "rink." :banghead:

I tried indoor/outdoor carpet for a few years (on the wood floor of our previous garage)...not a bad option, but it too gets pushed around and has to be fastened down in some way to the floor. It eventually gets ripped and icy/soggy as well.

Instead, how about a shop dolly?...Royal sells at least a couple of models. Money well spent, IMO...because the wheels are so large (the size of a small bicycle), you can easily roll the dolly and sled over small bumps, including the edge of your garage floor slab, with no problem. I roll our sleds into the garage every night and put 'em up on jack stands...the whole process takes less than 2 minutes. Zero risk of carbide damage or stud damage to that nice smooth concrete floor, and I can easily push the snow and melt-water from under the machines right into the floor drain.

The trouble with plywood or chipboard is that the carbides want to "grab" the wood, and you end up either pushing the wood all over the place, or spinning your track, or both. Plus the wood gets chewed up pretty fast and makes for a soggy mess with the ice and snow melting off your sled...which can then re-freeze into an uneven, slippery, hazardous "rink." :banghead:

I tried indoor/outdoor carpet for a few years (on the wood floor of our previous garage)...not a bad option, but it too gets pushed around and has to be fastened down in some way to the floor. It eventually gets ripped and icy/soggy as well.

Instead, how about a shop dolly?...Royal sells at least a couple of models. Money well spent, IMO...because the wheels are so large (the size of a small bicycle), you can easily roll the dolly and sled over small bumps, including the edge of your garage floor slab, with no problem. I roll our sleds into the garage every night and put 'em up on jack stands...the whole process takes less than 2 minutes. Zero risk of carbide damage or stud damage to that nice smooth concrete floor, and I can easily push the snow and melt-water from under the machines right into the floor drain.

How do you load the sleds on the trailer?

How do you load the sleds on the trailer?

Not sure what you're getting at, Dom. :wtf:

First of all, we usually ride from the door here, so we don't have to trailer that much. But when we do, I just use the dolly to roll them out onto the snow-covered (or gravel) driveway, start 'em up, and drive 'em on. I installed ski guides in my trailer, so no issue with carbide damage on the plywood floor.

plywood/chipboard is surely not ideal.

did give some thought to the indoor/outdoor as well but it's going to get pushed around for sure.

I've got a shop dolly and that works, but still looking for a "ride right in", start it up and "ride right out" option. (if there is one)

I use stall mats. I used to own a horse farm and had heavy duty rubber mats for the horse stalls (they are heavy), and put down 1 for each sled in the garage. You can buy them at any farm Co-op - not sure what the going rate is for them these days - but it sure beats re-doing your garage floor. OR - if you happen upon any farm auctions in the country - you might stumble upon them cheap! You would need to scrub them and clean them well before you put them in your garage unless you want your garage to smell like a barn however...LOL My 2 cents!

Stall mats !? Interesting :idea: I'm going to look into those.

Maybe try your local sheep farm that you frequent? You might not mind the smell of sheep in your garage :poke:

Seriously, however, they do the trick! They are heavy enough that they don't move around easily when you drive in and out - they work great! Always here to help Mr. Mouse! :wavey:

You can get them at the TSC, Square mat. Royal also has them cut into strips, about the same cost of you add it up.

You can get them at the TSC, Square mat. Royal also has them cut into strips, about the same cost of you add it up.

TSC ? Wazzat ?

Archived