Need accommodation help -- French River area

irREVerent

We're looking to travel up to the bridges on the Sunday the day after after the OC4K Ride, and hope to stay somewhere in that general vicinity. So far, the choices seem pretty limited, as follows:

Britt -- St. Amant's

Pickerel -- Cedar Village

Monetville -- Saenchiur Flechey

Alban -- Owl's Nest

We've never sledded through that area, and thus, haven't stayed at any of these places...so I would really appreciate some first-hand feedback from those who have, along with any tips about trail access and travel time from the bridges.

There will be 6 of us (3 couples)...we don't need the Ritz, but we want to it to be warm, clean, comfortable and with decent food.

So, before we book something, some response posts with some feedback (and hopefully, some recommendations) would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

irREV

I will highly recommend the Owls Nest but just as comment

Cedar Village is right at the bridges and I'm not quite sure about the new owners

Britt is a long way from the bridges

And apparently the place in Monetville will only open this time of the year for large groups.

I will highly recommend the Owls Nest but just as comment

Cedar Village is right at the bridges and I'm not quite sure about the new owners

Britt is a long way from the bridges

And apparently the place in Monetville will only open this time of the year for large groups.

Thanks, Faceman -- I'm told that Britt is only about an hour south of the bridges by trail, and Owl's Nest is about the same travel time north. And if SF is only open in sledding season for large groups, they sure don't make that clear on their web-site.

Yesterday Resort is right on the French river 5 minutes from the bridge. I haven't stayed there in several years but it was nice and clean and the food was ok too.

Yesterday Resort is right on the French river 5 minutes from the bridge. I haven't stayed there in several years but it was nice and clean and the food was ok too.

Hey, Doonut...thanks for the tip. That's a place I wasn't even aware of. Looks nice on the web-site, and they definitely mention snowmobiling, so I'll have to contact them and see whether or not they are open this winter.

Thanks for the notes guys. Let me know what the word is on Yesterday's. I'll update my motel spreadsheet then.

Hey, Doonut...thanks for the tip. That's a place I wasn't even aware of. Looks nice on the web-site, and they definitely mention snowmobiling, so I'll have to contact them and see whether or not they are open this winter.

If they're open double check on a couple of things...at the time we stayed there, February, year bridges opened, no restaurant unless for a convention. (we brought our own-full kitchens in cabins) The pool was not heated to save money - not a lot of business in winter. Hot tub was working. Give the sauna lead time of 45 minutes to get up to speed. (then jump in the pool which was quite refreshing)

Due to highway expropriation, many restaurants in the area closed, or were closed for the winter anyway.

Due to highway expropriation, many restaurants in the area closed, or were closed for the winter anyway.

The four laning of 11 & 69 sure hasn't helped the local economies has it.

Just for the big box stores that buy up the properties at the interchanges.

Great info on the French River area. I may head up soon to view rivers we've canoed in the summer.

Our highway development seems to be following a different path than other countries. They seem to leave existing roads in place, recognizing the cultural benefits that communities serve. I could see what was going to happen to Trout Creek (Hwy 11 south of North Bay) and it's one of those predictions you don't want to come true. Tough to find fuel, since folks don't want to get off a highway and travel miles.

Great info on the French River area. I may head up soon to view rivers we've canoed in the summer.

Our highway development seems to be following a different path than other countries. They seem to leave existing roads in place, recognizing the cultural benefits that communities serve. I could see what was going to happen to Trout Creek (Hwy 11 south of North Bay) and it's one of those predictions you don't want to come true. Tough to find fuel, since folks don't want to get off a highway and travel miles.

Exactly, Canuck...Trout Creek is almost a ghost town now. And unfortunately, the same thing is likely to happen to South River, and could also happen to Sundridge, although the latter is a bit larger and has more of a "critical mass" of services to draw people off the new by-pass when it's completed.

Reading some old posts, I note that Owls Nest Lodge is a supporter of PET and great things have been posted about their hospitality. www.riverhavenresort.com / 705.383.2426. 40 miles north of Parry Sound. South of Britt. Quarter mile down Magnetawan River Road. Others may have stayed there/can comment further.

IMO...I would lean towards the NEST..its more central and u can run alot of loops in every direction,Rich is a great guy with alot of knowledge of the area and puts lots of hrs towards the local clubs etc in the area.

As WB said I dont know if Riverhaven is open r not,i think they are as they have got involved with the loacl club,i know in the summer we slide over there for supper now and again and have a great time.They are about a mile from the main trail very easy to get to.

St Amants is also on the trail also a good place.

I have stayed at the Nest, & its a great place. Good food, clean rooms & great people run it.

Archived