Wawa Trails OPEN

FINNDIAN

Russ and I have been doing what we can to get the trails in shape to open. It would have been sooner but it's our bussiest time of year at work too.(much more than enough snow.)

We'll be out all night tonight to try and get groomed all the way to halfway haven. and have quite a bit of our trails that have been groomed once or twice now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Russ and I have been doing what we can to get the trails in shape to open. It would have been sooner but it's our bussiest time of year at work too.(much more than enough snow.)

We'll be out all night tonight to try and get groomed all the way to halfway haven. and have quite a bit of our trails that have been groomed once or twice now.

Great News :woot::woot:

thanks for the update gord. hope things calm down alittle (alot) for you. hoping you and your family and crew all have a great holiday season. maybe this year we can finally get together for a ride. LOL!.

again, thanks for all your hard work, it really is worth it. ALOT OF US REALLY APPRECIATE THE EXTRA EFFORT YOU GUYS PUT IN, YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT!!!

ski

thanks for the update gord. hope things calm down alittle (alot) for you. hoping you and your family and crew all have a great holiday season. maybe this year we can finally get together for a ride. LOL!.

again, thanks for all your hard work, it really is worth it. ALOT OF US REALLY APPRECIATE THE EXTRA EFFORT YOU GUYS PUT IN, YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT!!!

ski

Thanks ski

You guys should be up here riding. the powder is deep here and way deeper on the way to halfway. I had a few hills I had to take a few runs at with the tucker, the snow is so deep. More on the ground now than we get total some winters. I almost felt guilty for grooming logging roads with several feet of untouched powder on them.

The warm day we had was great. It helped settle down the snow especially on the lakes where there was way too much on the ice.

I pulled another all nighter to get our local trails groomed down smooth before it got warm and took a ride on some on saturday and there had been no traffic on most. So most trails are smooth like highways, now.

I had to build quite a few snow bridges on wet spots on the way to halfway haven and we will have to make sure they are all holding well before I remove the Limited listing although it's 99% awesome.

sleds are running down Wawa lake now, although we'll wait a bit more before we stake it as a trail.

Where's the riders???

Where's the riders???

thanks for all the work you fellas do on the trails Jonesy. As for our group, we are waiting for more trails to open up and for all ice crossings to be safe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR..........see ya in 09

if the south end of the halfway trail gets opened (better) lynne and i will be up this weekend. ski

gonna try those trails out on thurs gord. can not wait.

Awesome.

I clicked on Mapquest and it's a 15 hour drive for us :shock:

Have a great time.

If we go through Michigan (ie Toronto - 401 - 402 Sarnia - Sault St. Marie, Michigan) Mapquest has it down to 12 hours.

Heading west along Hwy 401, however, I'd have to pick up Natural Born Sledder (add 2 days and 1 hangover) and Domino (will he behave at the border? what's the rubber glove for?), so no real time savings. :lol:

If we go through Michigan (ie Toronto - 401 - 402 Sarnia - Sault St. Marie, Michigan) Mapquest has it down to 12 hours.

Heading west along Hwy 401, however, I'd have to pick up Natural Born Sledder (add 2 days and 1 hangover) and Domino (will he behave at the border? what's the rubber glove for?), so no real time savings. :lol:

ThatsFunny.jpg

I hadn't thought about going through Michigan to get there.....good point for those that live in Southwestern Ontario!

We used the Michigan route when returning from "fall colours" tour of Agawa Canyon. North via Hwy 400, south via Michigan. A full circle.

Preferred Michigan route due to wide open highways (although with Hwy 400 twinned -2- Parry Sound, this is less of an issue now).

i talked to a group of guys at the nl motel in wawa one night out of toronto and they told me coming through michigan took them about ten hours to wawa. im sure toronto being as large as it is being on one side or the other could be an hour or more of difference though. sites like mapquest ASSUME you will be driving the speed limit i think. :D

This is like a Dutch Auction :lol: (start with a high price and then move lower until somebody buys the item).

It's gone from 15 hours to 10 without leaving the driveway. Thanks for the info.

Living at the west end of Toronto, it's probably closer to 10 hours :woot:

When do we leave? 8-)

Eye, eye. :lol:

Will keep you posted.

i'll go just say when. :woot::woot:

X2

8 hours. sultan rd, the only way to go IMO.

ps If anyone is up riding and has an axe the heavy snow has lots of small trees hanging over the trail here and there. hint hint lol.

i'll go just say when. :woot::woot:

X2

Is that rain in the forecast?

(sorry, lucky.. last weekend was one wet weekend sledding with SJ :lol: )

hwy 144 at watershed restaurant 1.5 hours north of sudbury. Almost 1.5 hours (about and hour of gravel rd) across to hwy 129 south of chapeau then on down hwy 101 to wawa.

hwy 144 at watershed restaurant 1.5 hours north of sudbury. Almost 1.5 hours (about and hour of gravel rd) across to hwy 129 south of chapeau then on down hwy 101 to wawa.

Jonesy...was curious about this. Went Sudbury to Wawa last summer by 144 / 101. Good drive that avoided Sudbury / Sault stretch.

Was thinking in winter, given you're writing the day off for travel anyway, so just arriving is foremost concern, would the hwy 17 route Sudbury - Sault - Wawa be better (or safer) for frequency of plowing or services in case of sudden bad storms?

Archived