Wawa Trails OPEN

FINNDIAN

i got the hint.... have axe will travel and brush when needed. hopefully we'll be up there "cutting" on saturday. ski

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hwy 144 at watershed restaurant 1.5 hours north of sudbury. Almost 1.5 hours (about and hour of gravel rd) across to hwy 129 south of chapeau then on down hwy 101 to wawa.

Jonesy...was curious about this. Went Sudbury to Wawa last summer by 144 / 101. Good drive that avoided Sudbury / Sault stretch.

Was thinking in winter, given you're writing the day off for travel anyway, so just arriving is foremost concern, would the hwy 17 route Sudbury - Sault - Wawa be better (or safer) for frequency of plowing or services in case of sudden bad storms?

10x more likely to have weather/road closures on hwy 17 for sure.

the sultan rd is maintained well also.

nathan, you guys going to be up? ski

cool nathan, just got an email from mo saying you would be up there at your camp. maybe we can ride together a day or so. or at least sit in the tub and drink a few with you guys. i spoke with reg on the phone tonight, he is going to stop by the truck on friday sometime to pick up a box of doo goodies for his sled that i have. we are loosely planning on riding with him on saturday. we are leaving about 5-600 am tomrrow am, planning on staying thursday friday and sat nights, comming home sunday am as well. white/gold gmc, white enclosed legend trailer. might even try to break open trail 3 and 7 and do a little brushin for the club. we can get the black trout trail opened up for you guys too if you want alittle help. maybe we can get gord and or luc out for some riding the sleds instead of slaving away on the groomers. see ya soon, drive safe! ski

Whuts this "Mo" crapp?

She open this yr?

Just checked her website (pic gallory?) - says she's closed 'till spring....

Must just be good chumms eh? :wtf:

ox, mo and john are closed as they have been for the past several winters. nathan has a camp within a couple miles of their place. we are staying in wawa. we as a group are going to mo and johns friday night for a get together with them, at their request. they have cold beer, a hot tub and are lonely this time of year with the hotel closed :coffeespit: . so as good neighbors do, we stop in and visit with them from time to time. i imagine this is similar to your relationship with the gang at halfway haven.

we arrived in town just before o dark thirty, they are recieving new snow, and have a ton on the ground now. hoping to postpics later in the weekend if all goes well. ski

plow plow plow.... groom, groom, groom, groom. snow snow snow...

Glad you guys made it up.

some sleds running through 3and 7 would be cool, try and run spaced apart as the groomer tracks would run if you can. May be hard with all this snow though.

If anyone wants to borrow a sandvick, let me know it's the best tool for trail brushing.

stop by the shop for a visit if you have time.

had quite the adventure lynne and i did! went UP 3 from steep hill dam, over the mountain, to the powerlines. mountain has LOTS of snow to work with up there for sure. with the ice hanging in the trees it was better to beat the snow off the tree and let it pop up. we didnt do much trimming as the terrain and the depth of snow didnt allow for it. (sorry gord, had the best intentions) after we got exhausted going up and over, we figured trail three would be a piece of cake (wrong) it was deep, and some creeks were open. got stuck ALOT. barely made it to 3 and 7 junction. thought we were going to build a fire and stay the night (seriously). tired, hungry and exhausted we got two sleds stuck about 1/2 mile apart and only walking was going to get me back to the sled. good thing for the communcators or it would have been ugly.

got both sleds unstuck just before dark, worked our way through a real thick over grown area just west of the 3/7 split heading back toward mo's, had to cut our way through (you'll see it when you get there.) after that it opened up alot, not alot of trimming needed when get you get closer to mo's. the most trimming we be the closer you get to the 3/7 split and then to the powerline. the beaver dam area is bad on the trail side, we opted to go on the water to make it easier. the big bridge was loaded with snow. finally crossed a set of fresh sled tracks s we knew the rest would be easy. couple of water crossings to deal with slowly, no issues at all there. made it back to the truck about 600pm tired cold wet and super hungry. LOL!

we did the best we could to stay an even keel but the stucks rooted the trail pretty good in a few spots. mostly on the downhill side of the mountain where the huge water crossings are. there is alot of snow to work with to fill our stucks and the water crossings for sure. no big logs or obstacles on trail three from mo's to steep hill. wished i had the energy to cut more for you guys. but pulling lynne out about 10 times and me gettin stuck twice really took the wind out of this 42 year olds sails. not to mention i am just getting over a cold and we just came back from wyoming where my lungs took a whoopin. LOL!

anyone says that area isnt rugged i'll shake their hand and buy em a beer. go up that untracked backwards with deep deep snow, you know you were in a fight. i just got done eating, took 3 aleeve, and getting ready to get in the hot tub. we need it. i'll try to post some pics soon. ski

Wow. Sounds like quite a trip. Knowing your love for the powder and knowing how bad 3/7 can be, you had one heck of a day. Thanks for breaking it open. Hopefully Gord can get through with the Tucker and open it up. You guys are champs to take the beating for the team. Wish I was there!

ok now i am mad! lost one of my new klim gloves at the 3/7 split. LOL!!! :rotflmao::coffeespit::wavey:

must of fell out of the pack when i got my axe and or shovel out. we could go back and get it......

i dont think so!!! LOL!

was a great adventure and a good story, for sure. feel pretty good this morning actually. hoping we could get the chance to trail ride with reg today in dub.

almost forgot to tell you gord. a big thank you needs to go to nathan and his father as well. they broke and rode the three trail from mo's to tremblay rd they said the swamp was ok one water crossing had some slush after they crossed. the biggest obstacle in there was the plowed bank when leaving the trail to get to the road bed at tremblay.

so you should be good to go from town to steephill dam and 17 for sure via trail 3. ski

Maybe you can post a wanted ad in the Buy & Sell area. It could read something like this...

Wanted: The glove that was lost at the scene of 3/7 split. It answers to the name of Klim. It is the right/left? glove and my other hand is getting very cold & lonely.

Please help.

wow, thanks,,,,

hey dom

Hey Wenail ?

"ok, a joke is a joke, now beam me up Scotty!"

thanks for pounding it downn and joining the fun of opening our trail system, mr and mrs ski and nathangarber crew. I know what it's like up there, as I know you've been up there early in the year before also.

We'll keep and eye out for the glove but were suppposed to be in another winter storm warning for tonight so it might be a gonner.

I think our worst part of trail for brush right now is D south to anjigami if anyone is riding that way.

Hey! It's always great to get together with our Snowmobiling Buddies!!! We do get lonely and we are always up for visitors!!

So good to see you again Reg!!

Too bad my beer is right in front of Eric's head! DOH!!

John's Dad enjoyed his night Out! He gets lonely too! lol!

171_ffc70f8255174932f084e506d0612652

Hey Mo, nice to see you back. Glad to hear and see things are well.

news update!!!!! glove found, reunited with brother glove, flim at eleven. LOL! glove was stuck to shovel, tucked way back in a corner, family forgot him. when glove asked if he blamed the family, his reply was.... i am just glad to be home warm and dry, do you know how cold it is in a backpack overnight in northern ontario???

mr glove wanted to thank all the well wishers, search and rescue and the wawa snow riders for their concern. sorry for the scare. LOL!

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

ski

(and mr glove)

news update!!!!! glove found, reunited with brother glove, flim at eleven. LOL! glove was stuck to shovel, tucked way back in a corner, family forgot him. when glove asked if he blamed the family, his reply was.... i am just glad to be home warm and dry, do you know how cold it is in a backpack overnight in northern ontario???

mr glove wanted to thank all the well wishers, search and rescue and the wawa snow riders for their concern. sorry for the scare. LOL!

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

ski

(and mr glove)

I have to ....hand it to you I got a chuckle.

Archived