Rogers No Phone

Canuck

Dano,

That is one of the best resources I've seen.

Thanks.

(to users of the link - either click on 'minus' to reduce zoom or type in the city and it will show you detailed locations. If too detailed, zoom out (minus) and then left or right).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My experience with Rogers was no where near the problems I had with Bell. If fact I got rid of everything I had with bell and will never return. The more you dig into these telicoms, the worse it is. The big 3 telicoms are raking in amonst the highest profits in the world,

MM. I would be calling Rogers. We're with them and have been forever.2 kids in university and Mother Nature and myself in business and our bills average $250 a month...And we beat up our cell's, voice,text,long distance etc.

Having said that, the coverage is great, better than Bell. service has been excellent....some minor speed bumps but nothing serious.

My experience with Rogers was no where near the problems I had with Bell. If fact I got rid of everything I had with bell and will never return. The more you dig into these telicoms, the worse it is. The big 3 telicoms are raking in amonst the highest profits in the world,

If you want dirt cheap high speed and phone you can go with CIA.com for 40$ a month. They rent Rogers/Bell current infrastructure to give you the service. I choose cable hence Rogers lines for internet and phone. Reliability for internet and phone is pretty much the same as Rogers...

You have to be technically inclined and have patience otherwise this is not for you. If you think Rogers or Bell have bad service think again. It took me 2 months to get the service and my phone number ported over. I setup the UPS, modem and voice terminal myself. It can take up to 30 minutes to get a rep on the phone.

I have been with them for 2 1/2 years now and with all the money I save it was definitely worth it. But be warned, not for everyone!

Bell and Telus are building 3G across their entire networks

Yes, but when? Rogers originally said they would have it rolled out across their entire network by late 2008. Still no sign of it in operation...

Q1 or Q2 2010.

Q1 or Q2 2010.

Seriously? 3G is already starting to become old technology. Why bother with it so late in the game? Shouldn't they be focusing on the next generation technologies if they are planning on waiting until 2010?

Wow thanks for all the great info, I suspected this was going to stir up some emotions. I think I will just go month to month as I don't need a new phone just yet. We are on a family share plan and my sons phone isn't up for renewal yet so he will be ready sometime in the summer so with any luck we will have some options by the time all 3 of our contracts have expired. Then I can go out shopping for the 3 of us.

That website with all the towers shown must be outdated, we had no service at our house until this past summer when they installed a tower about 5 miles away but it is not shown on the map.

Q1 or Q2 2010.

Seriously? 3G is already starting to become old technology. Why bother with it so late in the game? Shouldn't they be focusing on the next generation technologies if they are planning on waiting until 2010?

Simple answer to that one

No competition yet :angry:

Will competition really help here though? None of the new entrants are going to have the cash to lay a nationwide 4G/WiMax network. They're going to have to piggyback on the existing 3G network for quite some time, no?

Q1 or Q2 2010.

From my understanding, industry standards will be HSPA or LT1, which really evolved from GSM. The move from GSM-3G to HSPA will only be a software upgrade, where Bell and Telus will require a full hardware upgrade which I really can’t see a smooth transition. Keep in mind the voice application from Bell and Telus is CDMA, which is the part that requires the hardware change for voice (not data) hence the demise of CDMA. I heard bell will roll out the new system in Vancouver first while they have roaming rights for the upcoming 2010 Olympics. Then going to move to other big centers and branch off from there.

I still don’t know what will happen to all the smaller CDMA companies such as Thunderbay mobility since their will be a compatibility issue. I think there is maybe 3-4 other CDMA companies in Ontario as well, outside of Bell and Telus.

I wondered why Bell and Telus are changing technology while I think it was time to join the rest of the world as the standard is GSM. Bell and Telus took a big hurt when Rogers got the Apple Iphone while the Iphone is only built for GSM 3G. When Bell and Telus upgrade to the new system, they too will have access to all the newer “world common” handsets. The other benefit from the upgrade is to collect roaming fees to those that visit our country with “common” gsm based phones. Rogers has been cashing in on this for years.

I think where many people get confused is because all these upgrades are for mostly high speed data (wireless internet) with a voice application tied to it (cell phone). The other confusing part is EVDO is basically the same as 3G which have a conflict for voice application because one is CDMA and other being GSM.

So this is the way I understand it so don’t quote me in case I’m mislead.

Dan

Will competition really help here though? None of the new entrants are going to have the cash to lay a nationwide 4G/WiMax network. They're going to have to piggyback on the existing 3G network for quite some time, no?

That’s was taken care of at the wireless auction. The ones that were accepted are allowed to use the existing networks for up to 5 years (not sure if their will be a rental cost associated with it though) . That gives time to build a network where raoming agreements will most likely take place much like Bell and Telus currently have. I don't think wimax has any part of it.

Dan

I don't think wimax has any part of it.

4G requires a packet-switched IP network. WiMax is the logical protocol to provide this and the way things seem to be headed in the US. It seems rather silly that anyone would consider rolling out a 3G network almost two years from now when 4G will most certainly make it's way into handsets by that time.

The new Belus network will be HSPA, and then LTE. It is a generation past Rogers at the moment.

There are moments when I have no idea what you guys are talking about :)

[attachment=0]greenacres.jpg[/attachment]

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a customer, where, after a technical explanation, he looked at me blankly and said, "You're spelling at me again!". :rotflmao::rotflmao:

will probably end up using it at some point.[/size] :oops:

The new Belus network will be HSPA, and then LTE. It is a generation past Rogers at the moment.

Rogers 3G network is HSPA, at least according to them. That would make it the same generation, no?

And Wikipedia says that Bell and Telus are using LTE instead of WiMax for their 4G network. I guess that clears things up. Unfortunate though, WiMax looks like a better protocol. :x

You're telling me, I'm not even sure we're still talking about phones anymore.

X 3... :ugeek:

There's a lot of informative info here. Too bad I don't have the 3 weeks it would take me to download it all on dial-up. I'm so happy that all that Gov't money has improved communications in rural Ontario, way up here 2 1/2 hours from the GTA.

Sorry, I guess this should be another rant. And we do appreciate the improvement over our old 'soup-cans-and-string' .

Rogers 3G network is HSPA, at least according to them. That would make it the same generation, no?

And Wikipedia says that Bell and Telus are using LTE instead of WiMax for their 4G network. I guess that clears things up. Unfortunate though, WiMax looks like a better protocol. :x

Rogers is HSUPA. They also have legacy GSM to deal with. Belus will be LTE soon after launch. I'm sure Rogers will be there anyways. The advantages of the GSM based phones will be welcomed!

Archived