Rogers No Phone

Canuck

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
she's going to take probably 85 percent of the market... Why is the easy question

Dial 310-BELL sometime....

:o You mean it isn't Dom that answers that phone ?

Not unless its Dom working in a call center in Bangladesh

Close! I lived in Brampton for 8 years :oops:

Given the proximity, I checked my IP and verified that I am indeed not in the twilight zone, I'm in Canada :D

As I drove home from Parry Sound last night, I thought about:

Telecommunications problems;

Poor infrastructure support (where the *#@ were the sand or salt trucks last night south of Mactier - everyone knew that snow squalls were forecast);

No government for 2 months (how many days did those 'ol boys' actually sit in Parliament this year?).

Am I in Canada? At times, it feels like I've fallen down the Rabbit Hole and should just accept monopolies running telco, roads, fuel, government.

Many of us can sympathize with the 'unfairness' of the current telecommunications regime. Heck, there's even a website called ihaterogers.com . Maybe one for Bell and the others as well.

Looking forward to days of sledding soon. No phone...by choice. :)

[End of rant]

Poor infrastructure support (where the *#@ were the sand or salt trucks last night south of Mactier - everyone knew that snow squalls were forecast);

No government for 2 months (how many days did those 'ol boys' actually sit in Parliament this year?).

Am I in Canada? At times, it feels like I've fallen down the Rabbit Hole and should just accept monopolies running telco, roads, fuel, government.

Many of us can sympathize with the 'unfairness' of the current telecommunications regime. Heck, there's even a website called ihaterogers.com . Maybe one for Bell and the others as well.

[End of rant]

Before Faceman offers:

Do you need a hug today ? ;)

[End of rant]

I get very nervous when I hear people talking about Rabbit holes! :shock:

[End of rant]

I get very nervous when I hear people talking about Rabbit holes! :shock:

I get very excited when I hear people talking about Rabbit holes! ;)

[End of rant]

Glad to hear that you got home safe . I too often think while I drive , to think of today's troubles is upsetting to say the least . The greedy are in charge .

[End of rant]

Glad to hear that you got home safe . I too often think while I drive , to think of today's troubles is upsetting to say the least . The greedy are in charge .

The greedy are always in charge

The smart ones at least kiss us before they screw us

[End of rant]

The greedy are always in charge

The smart ones at least kiss us before they screw us

UNLIKE THE THREE WEASELS! WHO JUST FLIP US THE BIRD :angry: :curse: :banghead:

UPDATE

Just thought I'd end this thread by saying Rogers No Phone service was restored late yesterday.

By BELL, acting as agent for ROGERS. :o

As I suspected, Rogers tried to converted this building to phone over coaxial cable. They couldn't (not enough bandwidth). Therefore, they must continue renting 'lines' from Bell. I pay Rogers, they pay Bell to rent the line. Creates huge hassles for a service call.

During my 'downtime' I have spoken to others, and I'd like to pass on a warning: Rogers 'got' many residential and business owners to switch. They rented lines from Bell. Lately, they have mailed out 'cancellation' notices to homeowners that have Rogers cable and Rogers phone. Schedule a tech. to visit home to 'digitize' the system, or you will be cancelled. Basically, they want to run tel over cable and avoid paying Bell. Once Rogers does that, they have you. Don't even try to contact Primus or others. Primus wants your business, but they won't run line to your home. Once Rogers has you, you're a 'customer' for life.

Fortunately, because I still have the Bell line, I can (and will) switch from Rogers. The service on this 'move' was inexcusable.

[end of rant]

Basically, they want to run tel over cable and avoid paying Bell.

You can say a lot of bad things about Rogers, but that one is purely the fault of Bell.

Bell, with the CRTC's blessing!, is purposefully screwing over other service providers that use their lines to make their own services more attractive.

What choice does Rogers, or any other telecommunications company for that matter, have when Bell is being so ridiculous other than to start to roll out their own "copper"?

What choice does Rogers, or any other telecommunications company for that matter, have when Bell is being so ridiculous other than to start to roll out their own copper?

Thanks skidooer. Great 'big picture' information.

Taking it back to the end user, I forgot to mention that in the 'residential scenario', when they send that letter 'requesting' that you schedule a tech to come to your home to digitize phone service (merge with cable), no mention is made of fees.

I am aware of one case where all was done... and a $45 charge was added to the Rogers bill. A quick call to Rogers, one 'sorry it was a computer billing error" and it was resolved. Why is their never a billing error in the customer's favour?

How many people don't notice it on their bill? :banghead:

I missed that one..................perfect :coffeespit::coffeespit::coffeespit:

[End of rant]

Before Faceman offers:

Do you need a hug today ? ;)

• 4 weeks later...
My experience with Rogers was no where near the problems I had with Bell. If fact I got rid of everything I had with bell and will never return. The more you dig into these telicoms, the worse it is. The big 3 telicoms are raking in amonst the highest profits in the world,

My experience with Rogers was no where near the problems I had with Bell. If fact I got rid of everything I had with bell and will never return. The more you dig into these telicoms, the worse it is. The big 3 telicoms are raking in amonst the highest profits in the world,

The burning question: Will this bring 3G service outside of major cities? EDGE sucks.

How are people receiving 3G service now ? What is EDGE?

The burning question: Will this bring 3G service outside of major cities? EDGE sucks.

Bell and Telus are building 3G across their entire networks

I’m currently with Telus and signed a 1 year contract.

Dan

I have heard good things about Telus from 'multi user' companies (businesses with more than 10 phones).

What's good?

Reception (although the companies noted above are GTA based) ,

customer service

and costs (monthly billing).

My 3 year contract with Rogers Cell is up, and once the cell phone bill from this mess is issued (and credits processed..ie 'if your business phone division didn't screw up, I wouldn't have such a large cell phone bill) I will switch to the Telus 1 year commitment.

How are people receiving 3G service now ? What is EDGE?

3G is the same as EVDO that we have with CDMA which is Bell or Telus. 3G is more directed to the GSM family. We can only use EVDO-3G for data use if on CDMA network. 3G on GSM network could be used for voice and data given a compatible 3G handset. There is also Rev-A and 3.5G (higher speed) out there while HSPA (High Speed Pocket Access) LT-1 becomes the future for industry standard.

Edge on GSM is the same as 1X for CDMA - Basically the first step from analog to digital.

This is the way I understand the systems..

Dan

What is 3G?

Slightly larger than DoubleD.

:)

(thanks Dano, your explanation was very helpful)

I’m currently with Telus and signed a 1 year contract.

Dan

I have heard good things about Telus from 'multi user' companies (businesses with more than 10 phones).

What's good?

Reception (although the companies noted above are GTA based) ,

customer service

and costs (monthly billing).

My 3 year contract with Rogers Cell is up, and once the cell phone bill from this mess is issued (and credits processed..ie 'if your business phone division didn't screw up, I wouldn't have such a large cell phone bill) I will switch to the Telus 1 year commitment.

I haven’t had any problems with Telus, but they to have bogus fees. I seen them basically as the less of all evils. Koodo (Telus discount brand) has one of the best voice packages available today so worth a look as well if you just need a phone.

Have to keep in mind, Telus has a roaming agreement with Bell, but a Telus phone will search for a Telus tower first and will only roam another CDMA when it senses no signal. This is also vices versa to the other carriers. Problem with that is if you have a Bell tower 2 miles away from you and a Teulus tower 15 miles away, it will take the weak Telus signal instead of changing over to the Bell.

Take a looky at this site to see where the towers are in your area.

Archived