The North, Feb 27-Mar 2?

tricky

Anyone riding Kirkland Lake to Hearst area next week? Anyone riding there now? Conditions? I was hoping to ride northeast side of the park out of Mattawa next week, but looks too warm now. Might have to go solo after my buddies went to PQ this week. 

My buddy and I are looking at going to Kirkland Lake from Wednesday to Sunday. Just waiting for my buddy to clear his schedule.

Heard from some people who were there on the weekend and said it was 9/10 condition.

• Thanks 1

9/10 on the weekend has to equal 10/10 thru the week - pretty high praise. If we are both in the area next week, it would be great to meet up for a evening beverage. At a generation older and half the HP, I couldn't ride with you and keep up, but maybe at a bar?

• Like 2

Sure. We don't ride hard and we don't mind slowing our pace either. My wife keeps up and she rides like girl....LOL

I will post here once we make a final decision. Its either Kirkland Lake or Kapuscasing. Leaning towards Kirkland Lake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• LuvMyViper changed the title to The North, Feb 27-Mar 2?

My tentative plan was KL to Cochrane (or Kap)on Wednesday. Thursday, Cochrane to Hearst. Friday, Hearst to Cochrane or Timmins. Saturday, back to KL. Drive home Sunday. Buddy that might join me is flakier than this winter's snow.

54 minutes ago, tricky said:

Buddy that might join me is flakier than this winter's snow.

Woodzy?   lol

My buddies are flaking out on me for this weekend.     I am still tempted to do a 2 day solo run from Rouyn to Val D'or to Amos and back to the truck.    

I have a bad feeling that the season is going to be over really early even in Quebec.    

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Woodzy?   lol

Not this time. Scot. Big Paul L. Will let me know Monday???? Jeff and Jen were good enough to say up front that they weren't going away for that long. They may be going up Monday and back Thursday or Friday. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, tricky said:

Anyone riding Kirkland Lake to Hearst area next week? Anyone riding there now? Conditions? I was hoping to ride northeast side of the park out of Mattawa next week, but looks too warm now. Might have to go solo after my buddies went to PQ this week. 

We have a group of 8 leaving Temagami Sun 25th on a back pack trip to Kap and back next week. Our group is called Mike who cheese harry

• Like 3

I would recognize the shirts. Hope to see you up there somewhere.

My buddy can't get away until Thursday now so we are going to stay at Kirkland Lake and do a couple loops from there. Leaving on Sunday.

• Like 1

I hope to get back to KL Saturday afternoon. She who must be obayed says I can't go solo next week, so I may not even get away. Won't get a definitive answer from riding buddy until Monday so haven't booked anything yet. PITA!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2024 at 4:25 PM, MotorCity said:

We have a group of 8 leaving Temagami Sun 25th on a back pack trip to Kap and back next week. Our group is called Mike who cheese harry

Did you guys change your staging town to something more north? I see New Liskeard is closed.

we are heading up to KL Tuesday night, staying overnight and hoping to sled to Cochrane Wed. night, Hearst Thursday, Friday Iroquois Falls, Sat back to KL. all Tentative at the moment. any idea how the trails are around Kap, as the OFSC is showing as yellow, just wanting to know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Hoping the Tuesday thunderstorm does not wipe out trails. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4mysled said:

we are heading up to KL Tuesday night, staying overnight and hoping to sled to Cochrane Wed. night, Hearst Thursday, Friday Iroquois Falls, Sat back to KL. all Tentative at the moment. any idea how the trails are around Kap, as the OFSC is showing as yellow, just wanting to know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Hoping the Tuesday thunderstorm does not wipe out trails. 

Thunderstorm?

I am headed to KL Wednesday with a few buddies and we only see light rain forecast.   5-10mm  Hopefully it’s very light rain followed by the 15-20cm they are calling for.

• Like 1

I just received the bail out email from my buddy. My Wife(she who must be obayed) says I can't go alone. Will somebody heading north in the next 2 days allow me to tell her that I'm riding with them, in case she wants 'proof' that I am not riding alone? The ruse is more important than actual riding partners, but I would try to ride with another group, if available. I am neither fast, nor slow, and neither a party animal or a wall flower. I feel the season slipping away.

• Like 1

What a mess of weather.

Currently -7 in Kirkland Lake but the temp is on the rise. +2 by 9am Tuesday, +8 by 2pm, Rain starting around noon.

Temps staying around +7 overnight, +5 at 6am Wednesday then the cold front moves in and temps plunge to -14 by noon Wednesday.

Rain changes to freezing rain around 6am Wednesday, then changes to snow at 11am. Snow heaviest from 11am to 2pm.

What a roller coaster!!

No thunder storms for the far north but there is a chance across southern Ontario as far north as Sudbury.

We are still planning to drive up on Thursday leaving here by 6am. I don't think I'd try the drive Wednesday with a trailer outback anyways.

Our Quebec march break plans may have to be cancelled again (cancelled Quebec over Christmas).

Reviewing Revelstoke options again as a replacement / now that they now have some snow

back …..

I can accept when I am beat, and that is now. My original plan was drive north today, sled 4 days and drive home Sunday. The extreme weather swings are creating a forecast whereby I could only enjoy sledding of Friday. Now I have my eye on NEXT Wednesday thru Saturday, if the trails survive until then. If this is the new weather reality, one good thing about it is that my current sled will do me until I pack it in! Hope the rest of you can get at least one more ride in.

• Like 2

I think it’s coming to a end here in Fugereville 

IMG_2882.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

• Sad 2

It’s over folks

• Haha 1

We are supposed to go to Quebec from the 8th-13th and even that is looking questionable by the looks of the long range.     Early next week is really mild everywhere in Quebec followed by zero snow.   

I am seriously tempted to go to Cochrane or somewhere on Thursday, ride Friday and Sat and come home Sunday, by myself.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

We are supposed to go to Quebec from the 8th-13th and even that is looking questionable by the looks of the long range.     Early next week is really mild everywhere in Quebec followed by zero snow.   

I am seriously tempted to go to Cochrane or somewhere on Thursday, ride Friday and Sat and come home Sunday, by myself.    

I think going to Cochrane is probably the right choice it’s melting like crazy now 

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

What a mess of weather.

Currently -7 in Kirkland Lake but the temp is on the rise. +2 by 9am Tuesday, +8 by 2pm, Rain starting around noon.

Temps staying around +7 overnight, +5 at 6am Wednesday then the cold front moves in and temps plunge to -14 by noon Wednesday.

Rain changes to freezing rain around 6am Wednesday, then changes to snow at 11am. Snow heaviest from 11am to 2pm.

What a roller coaster!!

No thunder storms for the far north but there is a chance across southern Ontario as far north as Sudbury.

We are still planning to drive up on Thursday leaving here by 6am. I don't think I'd try the drive Wednesday with a trailer outback anyways.

It stayed colder overnight. Didn’t go to pluses until after 10am but it’s +9 now.

The rain stayed south, nothing until this evening now and looks to be closer to 5mm than 10mm over night.

Still calling for 10-15cms snow for tomorrow.

Found a crack in my trailer frame yesterday AFTER picking it up from getting it safetied. Tires not tracking straight so decided to try putting the 2 sleds in my 12’.

All loaded up for Thursday.

IMG_7455.thumb.jpeg.9ce7a536ac44c0817c655f990b204eab.jpeg

• Like 2