Chesley area - Jan 23rd, 2021

ecarnell

My son and I trailered out to Chesley this am for a little ride.

we got a fair bit of snow last night here in SW Ontario.

Ran chesley - to paisley area - backtracked to Tara then over to chatsworth and did a loop up through Walters fall up to B and looped to Owen sound for gas (160km).

East side  of rail trail was thin and bumpy.... I’ll avoid that area until I see a Green trail.

the ofsc map had then opened up so more “yellow” trails south since 9am when we left - so we decide to run down to markdale via rail trail then do a loop back to chesley via Durham and hanover.

Some of these trails that just opened up that am were definitely “yellow”. If I was riding an old sled my back would have given out I think! Lots of wet spots.

Filled up with tap at pump in owen sound - but had to run into the Durham gas station to pick up some More snacks and drinks (Bv2s helmets on) as we were going to be later than expected back at the truck.

Ran 330 km or so for the day - left 9am back at truck 6:30pm. Need to pack more stuff/snacks just in case next time.

snow conditions and trails around chesley were 9.5-10/10.

East of chatsworth - 4-5/10, 

Rail trail - 8-9/10 (OS to markdale)

durham area 4-6/10,

Hanover north 7-8/10.

well over 2,000 km for the season thus far - May need to start looking at some 2022’s/left over 2021’s - though maybe have to wait till Covid pricing drops!

E

699F4FE4-8ACE-4D88-AB52-ABC34E0FBD42.jpeg

48FDD046-B251-4E82-8B4D-70349721C9FD.jpeg

B46E91A9-1CA6-45FA-AF9F-AF6AC3AE8A19.jpeg

B6D10547-00E5-4E07-A929-841731C04716.jpeg

2A0E0B91-EF75-4BDF-923E-B07F36A51BD7.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, ecarnell said:

My son and I trailered out to Chesley this am for a little ride.

we got a fair bit of snow last night here in SW Ontario.

Ran chesley - to paisley area - backtracked to Tara then over to chatsworth and did a loop up through Walters fall up to B and looped to Owen sound for gas (160km).

East side  of rail trail was thin and bumpy.... I’ll avoid that area until I see a Green trail.

the ofsc map had then opened up so more “yellow” trails south since 9am when we left - so we decide to run down to markdale via rail trail then do a loop back to chesley via Durham and hanover.

Some of these trails that just opened up that am were definitely “yellow”. If I was riding an old sled my back would have given out I think! Lots of wet spots.

Filled up with tap at pump in owen sound - but had to run into the Durham gas station to pick up some More snacks and drinks (Bv2s helmets on) as we were going to be later than expected back at the truck.

Ran 330 km or so for the day - left 9am back at truck 6:30pm. Need to pack more stuff/snacks just in case next time.

snow conditions and trails around chesley were 9.5-10/10.

East of chatsworth - 4-5/10, 

Rail trail - 8-9/10 (OS to markdale)

durham area 4-6/10,

Hanover north 7-8/10.

well over 2,000 km for the season thus far - May need to start looking at some 2022’s/left over 2021’s - though maybe have to wait till Covid pricing drops!

E

699F4FE4-8ACE-4D88-AB52-ABC34E0FBD42.jpeg

48FDD046-B251-4E82-8B4D-70349721C9FD.jpeg

B46E91A9-1CA6-45FA-AF9F-AF6AC3AE8A19.jpeg

B6D10547-00E5-4E07-A929-841731C04716.jpeg

2A0E0B91-EF75-4BDF-923E-B07F36A51BD7.jpeg

Hanouver race track a good spot to park still? Any idea? 

1 minute ago, ecarnell said:

Ya, trail into Hanover red on ofsc map yesterday.

parked at chesley arena (freshly plowed in the am)  - about 10 other trucks/trailers there too.

Ok thank-you. There is another arena that is on trail too, in a different town too. I forget now. It come back to me eventually. 

Thanks for the report.

In Chesley I usually park at the high school beside the trail on the weekends. I unload and reload at the gas station across the road. I have also parked in the township yard during the week if someone is around and says its ok.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for the report.

In Chesley I usually park at the high school beside the trail on the weekends. I unload and reload at the gas station across the road. I have also parked in the township yard during the week if someone is around and says its ok.

Any place in neustead like community centre? Farther south for me? 

10 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Any place in neustead like community centre? Farther south for me? 

I've never parked in Neustadt. By the map, the arena there looks close. The trail used to run passed the Top End Restaurant, which is now an empty lot, but the trail has been moved a bit out of town. Not sure what the scratch to the trail would be like.

Walkerton isn't far away and they brought a trail in to the new Best Western Hotel a few years ago.

Easy Parking at Mount Forest.

6 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

What about Teviotdale? :wtf:

You go there on a Saturday. Trails don’t connect to get into Hanouver area either. I don’t really care for new trails that go around lake, but applaud club for making a rideable by pass. I just miss riding thru lake, like most other riders. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

What about Teviotdale? :wtf:

You can't ride north from anywhere south of Mount Forest right now, unless you go through a closed trail. At least as far as I can see.

Its like playing one of those maze games. Every time you think you found a way out they throw in a little piece of closure to block your way.

Look at the town of Lucknow. Why is that little piece red?  lol

Edited by Blackstar

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

You can't ride north from anywhere south of Mount Forest right now, unless you go through a closed trail. At least as far as I can see.

Its like playing one of those maze games. Every time you think you found a way out they throw in a little piece of closure to block your way.

I know, i was just naming a parking spot!. We rode more northern Saturday when we were out,.,.

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Have you hit any of those intersections. I am expecting a closed trail sign and maybe a some caution tape or a gate maybe too. I may drop near Conestoga lake and check it on later in week. 

2 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

It's where health units change. 

How is anyone to know that? There is no distinction on the map to tell you whether it's closed due to a PHU or its closed because there is landowner problem.

For those who have ridden, "What is there at these closed sections? Does the grooming stop? Is there signage to tell you its closed?

I assume there is nothing there, its groomed and people are riding right through it. I may look at the trail guide before I leave my house but I don't pull it out when I'm riding unless I'm lost or looking for fuel.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Have you hit any of those intersections. I am expecting a closed trail sign and maybe a some caution tape or a gate maybe too. I may drop near Conestoga lake and check it on later in week. 

I haven't been out since all this started. Wondering this myself. I'm looking to ride Wednesday.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

How is anyone to know that? There is no distinction on the map to tell you whether it's closed due to a PHU or its closed because there is landowner problem.

For those who have ridden, "What is there at these closed sections? Does the grooming stop? Is there signage to tell you its closed?

I assume there is nothing there, its groomed and people are riding right through it. I may look at the trail guide before I leave my house but I don't pull it out when I'm riding unless I'm lost or looking for fuel.

I haven't been out since all this started. Wondering this myself. I'm looking to ride Wednesday.

This from what we saw on the weekend.

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I believe Lucknow is Bruce County on the north side of hwy.86 and Huron County on the south side. Different Health unirs.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

We ran into some of these today and while we respected them, we may have ridden back to the first sideroad and gone around the block. The trails in the red areas were all groomed but one that we saw. They were well ridden to say the least.

Left Atwood at 8:30  and back to trailer by 12:30 with 187 km. ridden.  Only saw 7 sleds on the ride. 

B trails had huge traffic over the weekend but 3 groomers out working. Apparently the most snow is north and east of Teeswater.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We ran into some of these today and while we respected them, we may have ridden back to the first sideroad and gone around the block. The trails in the red areas were all groomed but one that we saw. They were well ridden to say the least.

Left Atwood at 8:30  and back to trailer by 12:30 with 187 km. ridden.  Only saw 7 sleds on the ride. 

B trails had huge traffic over the weekend but 3 groomers out working. Apparently the most snow is north and east of Teeswater.

Thanks PLC.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I hope you never broke any PHU. My lord, the internet police are out and about...Glad you guys got out, and enjoyed it..

My dad and I left Mitchell at 8:30 and headed up towards Blyth and then towards Walkerton.    The trails ranged from limited to very good throughout the day.    There was a huge increase in traffic after 1pm and the trail quality dropped really fast.    We put 340kms on and the last 75km from Wingham to Mitchell was a job.    Not fun at all.   

We really need snow in Mitchell area.   The trail is basically frozen dirt now.   

6085AFC1-EEDE-48B8-BEA1-12680C8C540A.jpeg

AE4F77F3-8E58-428D-9A3D-B3FD9C995D77.jpeg

FE9020CC-F069-4A2F-A058-7E0946DF4F0A.jpeg

C8813E16-3371-4578-9B38-9CF3ACEAA347.jpeg

• Like 1

Drove up to Southampton today snow depth gets good half way between Teviotdale and Harriston . Even more Clifford thru to Paisley .