Trail L143 Timmins to Gowganda

Big Pussy

Has anyone rode the L143 from Timmins to Gowgana yet since it is yellow?

I am wondering how long this ride is in hours.  I have never rode it but I am hearing rumors it is slow going from other years.

BP

34 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I am wondering how long this ride is in hours.  I have never rode it but I am hearing rumors it is slow going from other years.

BP

I think that's grassy lake road.

Talked to a buddy and it was plowed to gravel.

Might want to call auld rikki to confirm.

7 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I think that's grassy lake road.

Talked to a buddy and it was plowed to gravel.

Might want to call auld rikki to confirm.

They moved the trail off of Grassy Lake Road / Pine Street  3-4 years ago.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They moved the trail off of Grassy Lake Road / Pine Street  3-4 years ago.

Pretty sure your correct.  Its definitely a shorter route, then C north. ITG shows it not following the road. We avoided it last year, as there was a pretty decent snowfall, and the Gem trailblazers were having issues grooming the hills with the New holland. We took C instead.  

Edited by TURBO DOO

I cant help a lot w/ this, but I do recall riding past the south intersection w/ TOP C. It was not near any roads.

Roughly 200 km on C VS 100km on L143. Since L143 reopened it is getting better than the 1st year. C trail this year just past Shining tree heading north used to run a road and now runs a power line. This has made C trail a lot slower this year. it is also being said that C trail just south of Shinning tree is also going to be more bush running to get it also off the roads to avoid logging conflicts. To us the L143 is looking to become the better choice.

4 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

BP

It seems to depend on the season. Several years back, the bottom section was on the road, except the road was ice covered and I wasn't studded then. Very slow when doing 5KM\hr for hours. 2018, the bottom section was mostly trail, not as fast as top section, and some creeks to skirt, but overall about 4 hrs from Auld R to Timmins gas stations. (Likley left Auld R at 1PM (after a great lunch and warm up,)

Even when it is green, you have to watch for surprises, which can show up any day, holes, logs or small water crossing.) (My view.)

L143 Time.JPG

Edited by Gadgetman

When we rode down TOP C last winter on the Great Big Loop we rode the powerline (more or less) to Hwy 560. Yes it is slower than the former routing which we rode in 2010. 

Thanks for the info.  When someone rides it this week or next week, please comment on how it is and the time it takes to do the run.  Trying to go from Timmins to Gowganda for lunch, then to the trucks in New Liskeard on the last day of the trip.  I think the C trail will take way too long.

46 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Thanks for the info.  When someone rides it this week or next week, please comment on how it is and the time it takes to do the run.  Trying to go from Timmins to Gowganda for lunch, then to the trucks in New Liskeard on the last day of the trip.  I think the C trail will take way too long.

You're probably right. We ran from Timmins to New Liskeard via Matach' using the old C106A back around '04. It was a LONG day in snowy conditions for all but the 1st hour.

Made even longer w/ a side trip out to the Petrocrap on 144 @ Gogama. We were less than happy when we rode past the restaurant & gas @ Mattagami FN & saw the guys that left the motel the same time as us. :banghead:

11 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

We are doing the same on the last day of our trip. I think it will be easily done assumming not huge fresh snowfall or bad storm. I'm thinking from what I've been told a couple of years ago that it's about 41/2 hours to Gowganda the way we ride. Its about the same overall distance to Liskeard as going via the A trail. 

12 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Last season we rode from Liskeard to Gowganda,  then took C north to Timmins. It was over 400kms. L143 is going to be the ticket if your concerned for time..From the shinning tree cut off L142 and Top C its still 200kms to Timmins. We fueled at Gowganda and then at Minakwa Lake Lodge. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Any idea what the mileage is from Timmins down the C through Gogama over to the L43 and back up to Timmins??

Would like to do a day loop.

The ITG says Timmins to Gogamma is 122KM. Gogamma back to Timmins on L143 is 237km. Total is 359KM. Even with the Vector, 237KM is tight @7km\litre, with the Apex I use to use 5 or 6KM\litre - I wouldn't do it without at least 1 sled carrying extra fuel for the Apex.

Capture2.JPG

Edited by Gadgetman

5 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Id just run into Gowganda lake lodge and fuel up, then head up the L143 back to timmins..

152 km. from Super 8 in Timmins to Auld Reekie in Gowganda via L143 according to the ITG. 

Do you need to call Auld Reekie ahead of time if you want to get lunch and fuel there?

53 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Id just run into Gowganda lake lodge and fuel up, then head up the L143 back to timmins..

How many kms past the intersection of the 143 is the lodge?

Get gas at Shining Tree Camp at the bottom of the loop.  Groomer home is there.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

152 km. from Super 8 in Timmins to Auld Reekie in Gowganda via L143 according to the ITG. 

Do you need to call Auld Reekie ahead of time if you want to get lunch and fuel there?

Food at Auld Reekie, not sure about fuel. Fuel across the lake at Gowganda Lake lodge.  No need to call ahead for food at Auld Reekie.  Gowganda does not serve food normally to passers by, only for people staying there. Although Ron and Giselle made lunch for us last season after a nice phone call to Giselle.

Edited by TURBO DOO