Princess Auto - Lifts & Ramps on Sale

MXZSlider

Princess Auto has some ramps and sled lifts on sale until Dec 29th in case anyone missed the Canadian Tire sale. 

IMG_6595.PNG

IMG_6596.PNG

Edited by MXZSlider
  • Thanks 1

Passed the word on to a friend that missed the Crappy Tire sale.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gtserider said:

.There lifts are far superior than the crap Royal sells

Really? I was reading some of the online reviews that suggested otherwise

I have been looking at another lift, but it's in the $475 range :shock: 

weak point on those lifts is the turn screw, especially if you use a cordless drill to turn it (don't ask how I know)

Replaced the screw with an hydraulic ram, and it worked better. Another weak spot is the casters.

36 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

weak point on those lifts is the turn screw, especially if you use a cordless drill to turn it (don't ask how I know)

Replaced the screw with an hydraulic ram, and it worked better. Another weak spot is the casters.

When I built mine back in the 90s I used a trailer tongue jack (Fulton brand I think). I also omitted the casters as our shed floor is uneven to attempt to move the lift w/ a sled on it.

15 hours ago, gtserider said:

Also elastic storage type covers,Till the 22nd.There lifts are far superior than the crap Royal sells

I have used the covers in the past... they ARE NOT covers you would want to use for trailering on an open trailer or likely a sled that lives outdoors but they are great for storage,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Agreed,  I have only used the manual crank,  heard others have had issues when using the drills or impacts  still put some stands under the sled since I need to get under to change the oil   Also need to put some 2 x 4 s  at the running boards on my sleds to keep them level   and the casters are crap, have only the back 2 on so can move lift around with no sled 

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

When I built mine back in the 90s I used a trailer tongue jack (Fulton brand I think). I also omitted the casters as our shed floor is uneven to attempt to move the lift w/ a sled on it.

I fabed one myself after the Royal disaster.Also used a trailer type jack.Works good,it can even lift a Yami.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

Materials are cheap,but there is alot of time cutting,drilling,welding.I don't mind working for offshore wagesi f it's for me.

Yes, there is a lot of work involved. I built a few back in the day, using the online plans on TY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Yes, there is a lot of work involved. I built a few back in the day, using the online plans on TY.

Which is probably why these are close to the $500 range now.. 

I have the one in the picture above, but I do not recall buying from PA...

For the use that it gets, works great, no issues other than having to add some wood spacers under the running boards where the arm lifts, but that likely varies sled by sled.

The casters are made of steel and have had no issues with them so far or the hoisting turn screw.

The unit is made strong, it is heavy and for less than $200.00, it is a tough deal to beat.....not worth making one for that price.

• Like 1

A word of caution from my experience... There doesn't seem to be much of a end of travel stop on the screw. 

I typically cranked mine "over the top",  just past the TDC so to speak, for stability. 

One time I was distracted, and went a bit too far. Sled fell forward, could have been a mess.

I crimped the he-double hockey sticks out of the threads and exercised more caution since.

• Like 1

Looking @ the riveted construction, I'd be leery of attempting to weld up the ramp. Years ago I attempted to make a sled ramp w/ a ladder in the middle & 2 'channels' for the skis. Well the ladder started out flat, but after welding the cross pieces to the lateral pieces of angle iron, the ladder had quite a bow in it.

No doubt the mat'l cost is prohibitive making it out of aluminum even for those that have the equipment.

It would be interesting to see the loading/stowing away procedure on video.

33 minutes ago, revrnd said:

It would be interesting to see the loading/stowing away procedure on video.

Apparently they just stow it while out riding under the tonneau cover. Would that be secure enough from theft? Probably as much so as a Load & Lift type thats under your vehicles tires. I'll see if I can find the ad again though. 

Local guy (2mins down the road from me) has a sled deck/ramp combination. I've watched him load before.

It's  nuts the angle and short ramp he has makes for a sketchy load, he's feathering that throttle alot going up. I'm not sure if a longer track sled would be easier or not. For reference he's loading up a Polaris RMK 155/163 

I was meaning where is it stowed once the sled is loaded? 

I had used a lock & roll type for years & yes there is a lot of feathering the throttle. Probably hard on the belt too...

I've only seen a couple of the sled decks around here over the years. Hopefully they dont catch on. Met a pick up last winter that had 1. No clearance lights on the corners & it was a bit of a shock when I got closer. He was crowding the center line, @ the last second I saw the overhanging deck...

• Sad 1

Having no knowledge or experience I asked my dealer about storing the sled during the summer months on a lift  as the one from PA caught my eye.

His reply, unless you need it for maintenance work, you're wasting your money.....he went on to say that their sleds sit on the floor of the showroom all year long without detrimental affects, this also includes the used sleds in the storage building.   Mine being kept in a cargo trailer will be fine

2 hours ago, Candubrain said:

Having no knowledge or experience I asked my dealer about storing the sled during the summer months on a lift  as the one from PA caught my eye.

His reply, unless you need it for maintenance work, you're wasting your money.....he went on to say that their sleds sit on the floor of the showroom all year long without detrimental affects, this also includes the used sleds in the storage building.   Mine being kept in a cargo trailer will be fine

The lift is more for working on the sled. Puts the sled @ a height that lessens you bending over. I used mine the other week during the oil & filter change & greasing the skid. 

Sled is stored on the floor.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:14 PM, MXZSlider said:

Princess Auto has some ramps and sled lifts on sale until Dec 29th in case anyone missed the Canadian Tire sale. 

IMG_6595.PNG

IMG_6596.PNG

I have the tri fold ramp. Works really well for sled in and out of pickup truck.