Hearing protection

2stroke

I have some of the standard foam ear plugs that are used in industrial settings for when my wife comes sledding. Scrunch them up and pop them in the ear.

She just pointed out that it sounds like I use them so I don't hear her. Actually she uses them for the drone of the sled engine.

They're available at Home Depot or any industrial safety supply

No there is nothing specific.  If you want the best protection just look for the highest nrr rating you can find.  Should be able to find anywhere from 18 to 25 dB. 

Since I listen to music while I ride via Collette communicator I also wear earplugs to dull the engine/track noise. I have been using Etymotic earplugs which dulls loud sounds but preserves clarity of speech and music.  https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20.html and you can read about it here.

These earplugs can be used at concerts and other loud events. 

Jerry

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I have some of the standard foam ear plugs that are used in industrial settings for when my wife comes sledding. Scrunch them up and pop them in the ear.

She just pointed out that it sounds like I use them so I don't hear her. Actually she uses them for the drone of the sled engine.

They're available at Home Depot or any industrial safety supply

2stroke, not sure your location, but HD Supply, CCS or SB Simpson are some places that should help you.

Looking @ your location, are you a YES fan? 

Yes-close.jpg

13 hours ago, 2stroke said:

Does anyone ride with ear plugs for hearing protection? If so what do you recommend. Are there plugs specific to sledding?

There is not a spouse in this great Dominion of ours who won't tell you that their husbands or significant others have 'selective' hearing. I have learned to use mine.

BTW - await with great interest results of 300 women gathered in one place to deal with the sex crisis in the entertainment industry.

Well I've gone the custom route after several of my friends (one in his mid 50s) are sporting hearing aids.  Besides, I ride a motorcycle too, so the value is there for me year long.  

Custom ones are individually moulded to your ear canals and generally done my a professional audiologist.  There are lots of different types depending on what you want, thus going with a pro has benefits, and might even be covered by your private health insurance.  Mine are from protecter.com (Canadian Company from BC and called DB Blocker) and are 'vented' with a frequency blocker that removes the harmful high and low sounds yet allowing the midrange through, somewhat muffled.  If you look at the picture its the green bit. So for instance I can hear the drive belt rumble on my motorcycle, but the high pitch sounds of wind are gone.  However, I can hear my in helmet communication system perfectly.  Strangely it is very relaxing and I feel less exhausted after a long ride.    

A couple of notes.  Hearing loss is now recognized as a potential cause leading to dementia (which means no more snowmobiling guys) because people slowly check out of social situations as they can't hear and also many guys won't wear a hearing aid from vanity.  If you fly alot, these are small and really work, I can even sleep in them which is a nice benefit with a noisy aircraft and or if you share a hotel room with a snorer.  Many helmets are now getting noise ratings, it is something to check out before the cool graphics. The ear plugs I bought have a detachable cord (you can see in the picture) which is a nice feature.  Companies keep your mold if you want an 2nd set or should one goes missing.

Value for the money, excellent.  Cost Between $135 / $200.  

IMG_0032.jpg

6 hours ago, slomo said:

There is not a spouse in this great Dominion of ours who won't tell you that their husbands or significant others have 'selective' hearing. I have learned to use mine.

BTW - await with great interest results of 300 women gathered in one place to deal with the sex crisis in the entertainment industry.

My wife does not hear a word I say, and I hear nothing she says, works well.

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

My wife does not hear a word I say, and I hear nothing she says, works well.

hhaaaa!!!  so true!!

YES 

14 hours ago, revrnd said:

2stroke, not sure your location, but HD Supply, CCS or SB Simpson are some places that should help you.

Looking @ your location, are you a YES fan? 

Yes-close.jpg

YES, IM A HUGE FAN of LOUD YES.....(maybe that's why I'm deaf)

My girlfriend asked 'Why aren't you listening to me?" i thought thats a weird way to start a conversation!

18 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Since I listen to music while I ride via Collette communicator I also wear earplugs to dull the engine/track noise. I have been using Etymotic earplugs which dulls loud sounds but preserves clarity of speech and music.  https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20.html and you can read about it here.

These earplugs can be used at concerts and other loud events. 

Jerry

Just bought some off Amazon Prime.   Thanks for the tip Jerry

I too have custom fit ear plugs because I’m a guitar player. Already suffer from tinnitus badly because of 30 years playing waaaaay too loud. Power tubes like to run hot and loud. Hah. The bonus of being able to change out the dB attenuation filter is awesome depending on where and when you need to use them. I usually swap out from 25db to 15 dB or vice versa. They also fit properly and are very comfortable. Don’t even know they are there most of the time. 

3 hours ago, smokeater466 said:

My girlfriend asked 'Why aren't you listening to me?" i thought thats a weird way to start a conversation!

sure i will have a beer.jpg

I have custom molded DB blockers and would take the 3M foam yellow ones over those any day to block out sound.

22 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I too have custom fit ear plugs because I’m a guitar player. Already suffer from tinnitus badly because of 30 years playing waaaaay too loud. Power tubes like to run hot and loud. Hah. The bonus of being able to change out the dB attenuation filter is awesome depending on where and when you need to use them. I usually swap out from 25db to 15 dB or vice versa. They also fit properly and are very comfortable. Don’t even know they are there most of the time. 

Never heard of tinnitus until my doctor told me what that ringing in my ear was. Now every where I turn I'm coming across someone who has it. A couple of people that worked in industrial environments, a fire chief from years of the sirens and horns on the trucks, a person who I worked with that spent most of his day inside a data centre with the constant drone of the servers. Many think they are quiet but the cooling fans of a thousand or two servers plus just the hum the electronics give off, another who worked in a bar/restaurant with a room full of noisy people and more.

18 minutes ago, gobills said:

Why??

I find when I wear the custom ones, while chewing gum(which I constantly do) or yawning I would find they would crack seal and noise would filter through.  The foam ones expand and fill every void for me.   I've worn the yellow ones 20 years in a loud factory setting and prefer them to filter out harmful noise that is around 80+ decibels.  Besides I like the disposal and ease of them as well.

3 hours ago, smokeater466 said:

Now that’s funny tight there lol

7 hours ago, 2stroke said:

YES 

YES, IM A HUGE FAN of LOUD YES.....(maybe that's why I'm deaf)

Where 2stroke lives:

LOL

31 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Where 2stroke lives:

LOL

We really do live in a LOUD environment. I love going up north, walking outside and hear nothing....except for that damn ringing in my ears.....it takes some time, but I noticed it does go away

Archived