Need Opinions On A Trip North

yamaha06

Looking for some advice on a trip I am planning.  Last year I rode from Sudbury to Wawa and back in a little over 3 days on family day weekend.  This year I would like to ride from Sudbury up to Cochrane, over to Hearst, hit up Wawa and then probably Elliot Lake and then back to Sudbury.  Has anyone ever done this ride?  If so any idea on roughly the amount of KM?  And shortage of gas anywhere? I know its pushing it for gas from Halfway Haven to Aubrey Falls.  I would just like to hear some feed back from anyone with recommendations on where to stay or any other advice on daily destinations.

Thanks! 

Magpie is Fantastic!!!

4 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Hey Yamaha06,

We are doing a route similar to the one you just described. We are staying at the pinewood motor inn in Espanola, then Halfway haven, then Magpie(du ville), Companion, Westway, Auld Reekies. I've never stayed at halfway or magpie but all the spots we are staying are map sponsors and cater to sledders in the winter! I've done pieces of this trip before but not the entire route, I'd recommend bringing a jerry can just encase. Here's a KM breakdown;

Total (kms) Start End Day KM
387 Espanola Halfway Haven 1 387
593.5 Halfway Du Ville 2 206.5
886.9 Du ville Hearst 3 293.4
1323.9 Hearst Cochrane Via Canyon 4 437
1760.9 Cochrane Gowganda 5 318
2096.9 Gowganda Espanola Via Moose loop 6 336

Crawdaddy how many people are you up to on this saddle bag tour?

Only thing I know is some of the route between Elliot lake and halfway and just north of the soo, has un frozen swamps and river crossing just north of Aubrey falls if you plan to take short way to Elliot lake. Sections still show red on the map and riders have been trailering north of the trouble spots. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

river crossing just north of Aubrey falls 

That was the case last year. Wonder if local club volunteers found a work around? 

"River crossing" is the typical creek down and up. Switchback makes it tricky. 

Folks, please don't forget about the fatality on this section (between Aubrey Falls and Halfway Haven) last year. Two sleds met head on. We were at HH as they co-ordinated the rescue. It's remote. Not the place to speed.  It will be HOURS before the sledder arrives to advise of the incident and HOURS MORE for rescue/extraction. If anything, drive according to conditions and how far you are from emergency services.  Carry a SPOT or similar. The river crossing reminded me of that incident. Preaching to the converted on this one - but never experienced anything that remote.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

That was the case last year. Wonder if local club volunteers found a work around? 

"River crossing" is the typical creek down and up. Switchback makes it tricky. 

Folks, please don't forget about the fatality on this section (between Aubrey Falls and Halfway Haven) last year. Two sleds met head on. We were at HH as they co-ordinated the rescue. It's remote. Not the place to speed.  It will be HOURS before the sledder arrives to advise of the incident and HOURS MORE for rescue/extraction. If anything, drive according to conditions and how far you are from emergency services.  Carry a SPOT or similar. The river crossing reminded me of that incident. Preaching to the converted on this one - but never experienced anything that remote.

None of us ever think of the rescue time. Please everybody lets be safe out there 

28 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

None of us ever think of the rescue time.

Some of us do. :)

57 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

None of us ever think of the rescue time. Please everybody lets be safe out there 

Too true!  Even with the SPOT!

We were talking in Mattawa about the SPOT and pressing the "911" button.  I am sure the wheels get turning pretty quickly, but how long does that really mean before help arrives?  Wherever you are when you press the button, there is still travel time required, and I expect that in many cases, a significant amount of travel time.

Unfortunately, we do not have transporter beams or time travel yet :-(  Let's all be safe out there.

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

Just saw on the Sault trailblazers facebook that they are getting ready to start the Aubrey falls trail!

Be interesting how they are going to get around this river without a bridge. I avoided it last year by going over towards the zoo after going to Abrey falls for lunch. Even if they find a way around still be like 30 or so Km's that won't be groomed again. 

15 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Hey Yamaha06,

We are doing a route similar to the one you just described. We are staying at the pinewood motor inn in Espanola, then Halfway haven, then Magpie(du ville), Companion, Westway, Auld Reekies. I've never stayed at halfway or magpie but all the spots we are staying are map sponsors and cater to sledders in the winter! I've done pieces of this trip before but not the entire route, I'd recommend bringing a jerry can just encase. Here's a KM breakdown;

Total (kms) Start End Day KM
387 Espanola Halfway Haven 1 387
593.5 Halfway Du Ville 2 206.5
886.9 Du ville Hearst 3 293.4
1323.9 Hearst Cochrane Via Canyon 4 437
1760.9 Cochrane Gowganda 5 318
2096.9 Gowganda Espanola Via Moose loop 6 336

Thanks that's helpful.  Do you think its possible to ride from Sudbury to Cochrane in a day or is that really pushing it? 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody done this trip yet?  Doesn't look like the D201F wont be open this year with that water issue, kind of creates issues for getting from Aubrey Falls to Halfway Haven.

Just now, yamaha06 said:

Anybody done this trip yet?  Doesn't look like the D201F wont be open this year with that water issue, kind of creates issues for getting from Aubrey Falls to Halfway Haven.

There is a bunch of OC members up there right now, I am sure you will see some posts in the next couple of days from them.

The Crawdaddy bunch including White Dragon and Fire242 and Northstar went through the D201F just this past Friday and said they went slow and that it was NOT bad.  I met them at the RMR in Dub. Saturday. 

If you went from Sudbury you could go north on the A Trail around the top and loop back to Timmins through Chapleau  then south on the C Trail and make a different loop out of it.  Maybe a touch shorter also if you have only 3 days.

A group of us went through on D201F Saturday and it was not an issue

Sno

Is it just a big water hole or mud hole?  Any idea on how deep it would be?  Will be going through this area family day weekend. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, yamaha06 said:

Thanks that's helpful.  Do you think its possible to ride from Sudbury to Cochrane in a day or is that really pushing it? 

Yes it's doable, it will likely be roughly 280 miles depending on which way you go C trail or L143, you will have to get gas in Shining Tree.

Alright sounds good, I will be hitting the trail Thursday Feb 16 bright and early from Sudbury and returning to Sudbury hopefully on the Tuesday.  Any recommendations on places to stay through out the loop.  I have never been to Cochrane and rode from there to Hearst.  Usually stay at the Dunlop in Elliot lake and the wawa motor inn in wawa.  But would love to hear about some other places you guys would recommend that have completed this loop before.

Thanks

5 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

Is it just a big water hole or mud hole?  Any idea on how deep it would be?  Will be going through this area family day weekend. 

Check out the Aubrey Falls  Black Creek Thread in this forum. It has pics of the water crossing

Archived