Snow Plow takes out my tow vehicle..NO!!!!

johnsazzr

So my wife is driving towards Minden Yesterday am northbound on HWY 35 near Miners Bay....row of cars at a stop as semi has jack knifed farther up..she is the last...snow plow is behind her...decides to pass to continue plowing...sideswipes her Subaru as he passes...then does not stop!...he passes by several times as he continues plowing and gives her a "just a sec" gesture as she and witnesses wait for police..Apparently his supervisor ordered him to keep plowing!....she is totally fine...and damage could have been much worse....unfortunately it is my tow vehicle...I may have to wait several weeks to break in the new sled and get my feet wet...writeoff would have much quicker but it is what it is....could have been a disaster

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

Driver of the plow should be charged with leaving the scene and a minimum.

Can't charge him with being stupid.

That is terrible.  Hope you get mobile soon.

59 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

So my wife is driving towards Minden Yesterday am northbound on HWY 35 near Miners Bay....row of cars at a stop as semi has jack knifed farther up..she is the last...snow plow is behind her...decides to pass to continue plowing...sideswipes her Subaru as he passes...then does not stop!...he passes by several times as he continues plowing and gives her a "just a sec" gesture as she and witnesses wait for police..Apparently his supervisor ordered him to keep plowing!....she is totally fine...and damage could have been much worse....unfortunately it is my tow vehicle...I may have to wait several weeks to break in the new sled and get my feet wet...writeoff would have much quicker but it is what it is....could have been a disaster

If that is true, there is something seriously wrong with that!

Both the worker and supervisor should be charged and that supervisor fired.

Given the size of the plows on these trucks, and the way some people choose to not give them the space they need, I am actually surprised there are not more incidents.

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

Driver of the plow should be charged with leaving the scene and a minimum.

Can't charge him with being stupid.

Correct, that's an instant fail-to-remain charge, plus the charge for damage.  There are more plow trucks in the ditch around here than tractor trailers ....

Be gentle on the plow drivers guys. I have sold and driven new plow trucks with the front plow and wings installed for many years. I have the utmost respect for plow drivers. They have way too much going on when plowing as well as poor visibility of where the wing tip/ blade is and usually in bad weather conditions. Around parked vehicles and in town is even worse. On the highway if they are "winging back" and the front steer tire happens to go off the edge of the shoulder (usually hard to ell where shoulder stops and ditch starts) it is most often a tip situation.

Is it possible the plow driver and supervisor were in contact with the police and were plowing in support of the jack-knifed semi up ahead?  The cops may have told them to keep plowing and they'd sort out the damage claim after. 

On the plus side it may be a great opportunity to convince the wife the benefits of a truck.

48 minutes ago, soupkids said:

On the plus side it may be a great opportunity to convince the wife the benefits of a truck.

Conveniently my ATS lease expires in 10 months...The Subaru is hers so I will shopping for a small truck or larger crossover next spring...also planning to get a fishing boat in the spring.....tried the new colorado diesel....would do the job and sill fit in my garage..

36 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

Conveniently my ATS lease expires in 10 months...The Subaru is hers so I will shopping for a small truck or larger crossover next spring...also planning to get a fishing boat in the spring.....tried the new colorado diesel....would do the job and sill fit in my garage..

If you're retired I'm sure you can remember the Ford Bronco... it's coming back for 2017

Capture.JPG

I've been thinking about a new truck for some time now but I'm also thinking I might make a dramatic change for me. I've had a pickup since 1973.... back then it was the F100. I'm toying with the idea of an Expedition.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Bronco II was useless but I knew a lot of people that had the original Bronco and really liked them. Lots of the guys I went to the rodeos and horse shows with hauled their horse trailers around with a Bronco every weekend. Back then there weren't aluminum trailers so the horse trailers, two horses and all the gear weighed in well over 4000 lbs. That was back in my young and foolish days of rodeo.

I couldn't afford the Bronco so had to settle for a pickup

hey Dennis you might want to edit your comments

2 hours ago, whiskywizard said:

Is it possible the plow driver and supervisor were in contact with the police and were plowing in support of the jack-knifed semi up ahead?  The cops may have told them to keep plowing and they'd sort out the damage claim after. 

Maybe if they actually plowed the roads up here then the semi wouldn't have jack knifed. I was stopped on the southbound side of that stopped semi at 8:00 in the morning and at 2:00 in the afternoon the roads still weren't clear. Carillion sucks in the Minden/Haliburton area.

I am only 48 but do remember the bronco..I am guessing that this new Bronco will be built on the escape chassis which would not be a plus for towing....while I dont want a full size truck I want a bit heavier vehicle than that ...really like the Tacoma...new upcoming Mazda 5 will have diesel turbo 320 ft lbs....also now built on the new CX9 chassis so a bit bigger ...will be interested in seeing the tow ratings...also considering Colorado Diesel, Toyota Highander, Audi Q5...

18 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Maybe if they actually plowed the roads up here then the semi wouldn't have jack knifed. I was stopped on the southbound side of that stopped semi at 8:00 in the morning and at 2:00 in the afternoon the roads still weren't clear. Carillion sucks in the Minden/Haliburton area.

Yes...my wife was driving from Lindsay to Minden at 745 ish...Kawartha lakes 35 all clear...Haliburton area total crap....she does this drive or Bracebridge 1-3 times/week

Estimate on repairs is in at 11k and should be complete in about 3 weeks..cant rent a tow vehicle so might have to borrow a friends truck

14 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

You won't like the maintenance costs of those new tier 4 diesels.

does not really matter..I love to lease for 48mths....only put on bout 12k/yr and always have vehicle under warranty...dont even pay for maintenance for my ATS for the 48 mths....then I dump it and love getting a new vehicle every 4 yrs...wifes Subaru is the keeper..puts on too much mileage but gets paid for it

damn looking at the pic of that new Bronco I like it...I am thinking  it might be on the Edge platform which would be a perfect size for me...will have to check it out at the car show in Feb..

Capture.JPG.f6e30fa9520f36e07f5cbee934b4f46b.JPG

16 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

In that case it makes sense. I just can't get my head around lifetime car payments.

completely agree ..not for most...I see it as one of my few vices so works for me....

My lease always matures in fall so I get into some great deals and rates on end of model yr ....2013 with 4k trade on ATS 2.0 AWD my lease is 296/mth all-in...thats what my in-laws pay on their corolla...pretty decent on a car with MSRP  of over 40k....7k in discounts and 0% lease rate...

43 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

completely agree ..not for most...I see it as one of my few vices so works for me....

My lease always matures in fall so I get into some great deals and rates on end of model yr ....2013 with 4k trade on ATS 2.0 AWD my lease is 296/mth all-in...thats what my in-laws pay on their corolla...pretty decent on a car with MSRP  of over 40k....7k in discounts and 0% lease rate...

Who are you leasing with? curious as I am in the car business. Pm me back if you want. Thanks

Archived