Canadian fuels

snomopc

All of the fuel in my area down here in PA is 10 ethanol. This stuff really kills your small engines and carbs.You have real gasoline in Canada right?

All of the fuel in my area down here in PA is 10 ethanol. This stuff really kills your small engines and carbs.You have real gasoline in Canada right?

According to Shell their "regular" has 10% ethanol, "mid-grade" is 5% & their premium none. 

Ditto on Esso in Hearst.  Premium none, regular has it.  Our Husky is e-free in all grades, for now ..........

That site is so out of date it's not funny...

Ontario law says all fuel sold to the general public must be E10 for 87, everyone else except Shell mixes thier other grades at E5. I run Shell V-Power in my Dart because it's a turbo and there is a big difference in power and fuel economy over anyone else's 91.

I have read, places in the north are exempt in the winter and if thier location is considered remote, because the fuel can sit for much longer then in other places.

Even the local Native run gas stations who always said E free fuel are now having to sell an E10.

If you do some heavy reading on the subject, our fuels have been full of ethonal for 20+ years. The government regulations came in to effect to look green, but it's actually been done at the request if the car companies as it was costing them huge dollars in fuel system repairs. Go back to the late 90's. How many people did you know having fuel pumps go in thier cars? It's because fuel companies where dumping ethonal in at level close to 20%. And when was the last time youknow anyone who had to replace a fuel pump on a newer car?

The small engine issues today I think are more due to cheaper made plastic parts over metal and over all lazyness by the people who own them, then the fuel we use.

Not to hick jack the topic, but go look at the manual for a new lawnmower, snowblower or generater. They all say use a 89 fuel or better. It's because they know people are lazy and won't look after them correctly and the cheap parts the fuel system is built with. I still can't believe most people will drop big money on these things. But won't take 30 seconds to dump some stable in to them before putting them away for the off season.

Sunoco's GOLD (Hi test + years ago) was the 1st "marketed" w/ ethanol added.

Any idea what the additive is in Petrocan's "Winter Gas" is that is supposed to be so much better? Or is it just more marketing bafflegab?

Is Reid Vapour Pressure still important w/ the widespread use of FI? I know in years past gas was blending for the summer & winter. 

if vendors, and patrons alike send updates, they update that site regularly, you can look at the dates. as far as all grades selling with ethanol in ontario, all commercial on road fuels have this requirement.

now, this site is mostly for locating non ethanol gas, now branded a "rec fuel" (recreation fuel). it is more money than regular or premium pump fuel but, it is rated as non ethanol. most marina's and some distributors  have rec gas available. even some mom and pop stores have a separate rec only pump. for example... Krist fuels in sault ste marie mich, the last exit before paying the toll, to go to Canada or coming into the states... has non eth premium at all premium pumps.

personally, I only run rec gas in ALL my toys, street bikes, race bikes, sleds, weed whipper, saw, mower generator ect... the fuel is non eth, stores longer and safer. your results may vary. Ski

I believe the different blends have to average 5% ethanol. Thats why regular fuel has 10% ethanol so they can sell premium, ethanol free. And the pump has to be marked telling you the fuel contains ethanol.

if vendors, and patrons alike send updates, they update that site regularly, you can look at the dates.

Oh I agree, maybe out of date was incorrect... misleading might fit better.. most people still think if there isn't a sticker on the pump saying it's an E10 mix then it's E free, so they update that site saying this station is E free. Which isn't the case, as alot of pumps our there don't post as E10.

Just look at the list, it's full of Canadian Tires, Esso and unbranded stations. All which we know isn't the case.

I have read numerous post like this before I don't know if i can help or not but here goes.

we will stick with three grades of fuel for this 87,89,91. higher than 10% ethanol concentrations are a different story. (E85 etc)

All pumps require stickers stating that ``may contain up to 10% ethanol`` the stickers are generic for the  most part,but brand and site specific eg. shell`s colors vs esso`s.

The fuel I get from the Ottawa rack, which offloads and supplies Pembroke and a few other distribution stations, lists four grades of light fuels and probably 20 diesel/fuel oil types.

grades are RUL-E:Regular unleaded E10 87 , 10% ethanol

RUL :Regular unleaded. 87 for private/company tanks and some stations that fall under other regulations.

MUL:Mid-grade unleaded.89 stations with non-blender pumps use this. 

PUL : Premium unleaded 91

I am not getting into any octanes higher than 91, that is for another day. and someone else more familiar with them.

Most stations have 2 tanks for light fuels, they are for RUL-E and PUL the third grade comes from a blender pump, its a 50/50 split of both giving you mid grade E5%

Most if not all PUL 91 octane contains no/or trace amounts of ethanol from shipping (they dont sanitize the tankers) or the manufacturing process.

It all comes from the same fuel rack, each independent brand adds their special ingredients after the tanker is loaded either by measured jug or separate pump/dispenser.

at least this is what i have seen and been told over the years, let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks

The Stinson's gas station in North Gower has repeatedly told me that their regular unleaded 87 octane gas is enthanol free...  If the rules have changed are they lying to me then?  Are they not allowed to sell E free regular 87 gas?

This past fall I had conversations with the owners at Fetterley's Garage in Kearney, and Summerland Store in Housey's Rapids. Both businesses had been selling "ethanol free" regular, but were informed by the suppliers that it would no longer be available. As  result, the two businesses had to recently switch to a higher octane, so they could continue offering "ethanol free" gasoline.

The Stinson's gas station in North Gower has repeatedly told me that their regular unleaded 87 octane gas is enthanol free...  If the rules have changed are they lying to me then?  Are they not allowed to sell E free regular 87 gas?

I've been told the same about the Card-lock @ Endicotts in Ptbo. I'll have to ask bro' if he's got any updates.

I don't put a drop of fuel in my sled that has not had SEAFOAM added to it. I've never had a problem, so either it works or I'm the luckiest guy around.

Depends on how fast you burn through it  :D

But saying that, from everything I understand, its only an issue if you let it sit for a period of time.

Drummonds 91 is tagged Ethanol free. It's ALL I use in anything with a carburetor.

Ethanol is poison for small engines.

Please don't get me started on the economic and political aspects of it.

This past fall I had conversations with the owners at Fetterley's Garage in Kearney, and Summerland Store in Housey's Rapids. Both businesses had been selling "ethanol free"

regular, but were informed by the suppliers that

it would no longer be available. As result, the

two businesses had to recently switch to a

higher octane, so they could continue offering

"ethanol free" gasoline.

I found higher octane burns slower in most small engines. I have switched back and forth and it does last longer then regular gas with 10 percent ethanol. So the extra 8 cents or so is justified anyway and no crap is a bonus.

I found higher octane burns slower in most small engines. I have switched back and forth and it does last longer then regular gas with 10 percent ethanol. So the extra 8 cents or so is justified anyway and no crap is a bonus.

It has been a loooong time (over 10 yrs) since the difference between regular and premium was 8 cents.  More like 15 to 18 cents.

Higher octane is meant to burn slower, therefore less pre-ignition.  I only run premium in my cars that are designed for high octane fuel, higher compression or turbocharged.  Sleds have always been happy on regular, even when I ran 2 smokes.

Regular gas for season and premium with stabilizer for off-season. Have seen discussions on other sites that say running 91 in a sled tuned for 87 actually reduces horsepower which is counter intuitive to what most people think.

Archived