Canadian fuels

snomopc

It has been a loooong time (over 10 yrs) since the difference between regular and premium was 8 cents.  More like 15 to 18 cents.

Ya filled up today at the local shell.. reg was 87.1, 91 was 105.9

Ya filled up today at the local shell.. reg was 87.1, 91 was 105.9

Wow! I never pay attention to the difference. I just pump it and pay. I do put 91 in my snowmobile, and most small engines thar I don't use ever day. Maybe I am burning money, I dunno. My garden tractor seems to get an extra 1hr or so out of the 91. Maybe it keeps engine cleaner, don't really know.

Just filled up at Costco. Regular 87 was 80.9 and premium 91 was 102.9. Sticker on pump said 87 is up to 10% ethanol, no sticker on 91.

Sticker on pump said 87 is up to 10% ethanol, no sticker on 91.

I went reading, and from what I can find they only have to sticker (and even that is loosely worded) the E10 on the 87 grade fuel because that's the only one controlled under the ethanol law. So the 91 may or may not be upto 5%.

Shell is the only one who openly says 0 ehanol in thier 91 fuels. I tend not to belive those who don't tell you either way.

It takes more energy to produce than it provides. After the subsidized farming. Then they move it around on a truck.

Just what I hear.

At today's oil prices I can't imagine the cost/energy ratio "defecit".

If the pump says no ethanol, they have to be able to back it up. Testers are cheap, lotsa guys have them.

Just remember on a pump that blends fuel to pump the first gallon or so into the car to clear the line of it.

I just have a hate on for it after tearing into carbs on friends dirt bikes, and all the yard equipment.

Gas can gum stuff up, ethanol corrodes the metal, and can clog or restrict orifices and jets.

It's cost me a LOT of time and $, and I've seen more than a few roasted 2t motors.

I have been told that it costs more to make ethanol than real gas  

Also there is less BTUs of stored energy in a liter of ethanol vs a liter of gasoline

Years ago Holley came out w/ some specially designed 4 bbl carbs for racers using alcohol. The passages were cast/machined considerably larger to flow more volume (to allow engine to produce the same HP as a gas motor).

In a street vehicle this would be seen in lower fuel economy.

I read a report on E15 fuel mileage on full size pickups. Nissan's Titan rated about 22 MPG on premium, E15 rated about 10 MPG highway. Way more expensive to manufacture and less energy. Highly corrosive on rubber and other engine parts. E10 isn't far off ... should go premium for a month and see if there's any difference.

I have been told that it costs more to make ethanol than real gas

One bushel of crap quality corn yields about 10 Litres of ethanol. Corn runs about 5 dollars a bushel with trucking to the plant. So that works out to 50 cents a Litre for sone of the input costs. Factor in facility, labour, energy. Price would have to double I would imagine, but wouldn't know for sure.

Also there is less BTUs of stored energy in a liter of ethanol vs a liter of ethanol

We were in Lake Placid area few years back on vacation and I found a station that was selling E85. The wife's van was Flex Fuel rated so I gave a tank of it a try since it was also around 45 cents a gallon cheaper at that time. Lost about 25% of the range on a tank..

Archived