Macleans article re sleds: Must read!!

livin' on the b103

There is an article in Macleans online that everyone needs to read. Some of the information is down right fiction! I could argue the statistics he quotes, but the errors will be obvious to most here. What has also come to play from this article is in the comments section someone calling him/herself mudballer has made open threats to sledders. Some names you know have already pointed out that the article and the subsequent threats are inappropriate, I will be signing in and commenting and I am asking fellow OCers to do the same. 

Livin'

Not much skill with that whole link thingy!! I just googled Macleans magazine and it was in the list of articles.

Livin'

Did you read the comments section? Some messed up folks out there! Could be a Troll, or could be serious threats, a few have called that person out to identify themselves.

Livin'

Another example of innuendo journalism at it worst

Author's bio

Chris Sorensen is a senior writer, covering business and financial news. He has also written about the growing number of deadly airline disasters caused by confused pilots, and about sandwiches. Both stories were nominated for a National Magazine Award.

As the worlds population grows so does the amount of everything from how many potatoes are grown to how many people die for whatever reason. Even Jerry Springers audience increases. What a goof

As the worlds population grows so does the amount of everything from how many potatoes are grown to how many people die for whatever reason. Even Jerry Springers audience increases. What a goof

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry... hey c'mon.... the bottom of the gene pool people on the show have all their friends and family watching them and as prosperity comes to the trailer park and more of them get television the audience is bound to grow. Bubba can now watch the show since he got TV in his converted school bus with the wheels removed.

They love to publish statistics with no comparisons to other recreational activities. How does it compare to motorcycle accidents or rock climbing, etc. And they seem to dwell on the injuries due to not wearing helmets but that's probably comparable to cleaning a loaded gun- it almost never happens and when it does the guy gets what he deserves.

Edit: I just read it again and they corrected the amount of grants that Quebec received from $1 billion to $1 million...good fact checking. I thought that sounded high!

The author knows squat about his topic and should return to writing about sandwiches.

I'd love to hear why he wrote about sleds. You done just stumble on the topic..

He has to have some kind of experience, maybe a family member lost?

It's a classic trash piece, means and will do nothing to further any anti sledding movement 1 iota. We shouldn't make a bigger deal about it than just a poor attempt at journalism.

What irks me more is Dennis Burns is quoted so must have been spoken to. He is a massive voice for organized snowmobiling and thus the organization he represents failed us sledders. The guy is a Toronto based journalists and used Ontario stats; why didn't Dennis invite the ofsc to comment? The intrepid snowmobiler is the pr wing of the ccsa that Dennis is a director.

Looks like the author Googled recent snowmobile accidents and threw his story together.

Clowns like this are why we need to stand united for responsible snowmobiling and support the organizations that speak positively on our behalf. It was nice to see AJ Lester from super Trax comment.

Sometimes the enviro nazis have some pretty twisted ideas as to right and wrong. There was a case recently in BC (no surprise) where a woman was setting up hazards for mountain bikers (a legal pastime) on trails where she liked to hike.

These are the same people that say they hold the moral high ground but get pretty stereotypical when commenting about people that chose to partake in activities the "do gooders" look down there noses at.

I'd love to hear why he wrote about sleds. You done just stumble on the topic..

He has to have some kind of experience, maybe a family member lost?

It's a classic trash piece, means and will do nothing to further any anti sledding movement 1 iota. We shouldn't make a bigger deal about it than just a poor attempt at journalism.

What irks me more is Dennis Burns is quoted so must have been spoken to. He is a massive voice for organized snowmobiling and thus the organization he represents failed us sledders. The guy is a Toronto based journalists and used Ontario stats; why didn't Dennis invite the ofsc to comment? The intrepid snowmobiler is the pr wing of the ccsa that Dennis is a director.

Dennis is more than capable of being a voice for Ontario. He is a past OFSC president and has the best intentions.

I dont think his quotes were to be expected in this trash piece of journalism.

It's negative towards the sport yes,and has some twisted quotes... But it's what we talk about here all the time.

There are hundreds of post here about stories of ass hats going off trail and getting areas closed, drunks on the trails, morons speeding and running to trees and killing themselves. The story could have been researched just off this site.

It's no different then the stories about the mayhem PWCs, ATVS and motocycles create.

Main stream media is all about flashy stories to draw thier reads and views away from the real problems in the world.

As for the comments, the internet has created this keyboard tough guy way of life for many since they can hide behind an anonymous handle. That's alot of media sites have shutdown thier comment sections. The National Post has gone to a comment section requiring realnames with a home address requirement and a cellphone text message verification code before you can comment on thier stories.

It's negative towards the sport yes,and has some twisted quotes... But it's what we talk about here all the time.

There are hundreds of post here about stories of ass hats going off trail and getting areas closed, drunks on the trails, morons speeding and running to trees and killing themselves. The story could have been researched just off this site.

It's no different then the stories about the mayhem PWCs, ATVS and motocycles create.

Main stream media is all about flashy stories to draw thier reads and views away from the real problems in the world.

As for the comments, the internet has created this keyboard tough guy way of life for many since they can hide behind an anonymous handle. That's alot of media sites have shutdown thier comment sections. The National Post has gone to a comment section requiring realnames with a home address requirement and a cellphone text message verification code before you can comment on thier stories.

The CBC & Sun should do the same. The hiding behind nicknames is prevalent. 

Even a innocuous article about kids doing (fill in the blank) brings out the child rearing experts saying parents shouldn't be exposing them to the dangers of that activity blah blah blah. Yeah keep your kids inside in front of a TV playing XBOX. 

In today's Toronto Sun http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/04/man-fatally-shot-in-driveway-in-possible-theft-attempt some guy in Hamilton shot someone trying to steal his truck. The 'Sun' interviewed a neighbor who was a hunter and was' wearing a hunting jacket and camouflage pants'. whatever the----- that has to do with the story. 

RW

The CBC & Sun should do the same. The hiding behind nicknames is prevalent. 

Even a innocuous article about kids doing (fill in the blank) brings out the child rearing experts saying parents shouldn't be exposing them to the dangers of that activity blah blah blah. Yeah keep your kids inside in front of a TV playing XBOX.

That pretty much sums up most kids today. Our neighbour is a prime example. The kid is 17 now and I can count the number of times you would see him outside each of those 17 years on my fingers. Even in summer his parents would be out in the yard but the kid would be inside playing video games.

Mcleans is still in business?

Ya and normally theier stories are very neutral straight to the facts kind if reporting. They don't take sides when it comes to political reporting, they just tell it like it is.

Glad to see someone from the industry is standing up for us...

The posters screen name is AJ Lester, maybe someone in Snowtrx will write a rebuttal for the next issue.

Wow, way to focus solely on the negative aspects of a sport. Lets look at the fighting, verbal abuse and concussions involved in all types of hockey. We could address the nearly 40,000 people a year that die in car accidents or the hundreds of thousands that are injured in vehicles. Heck nearly 10,000 people per year die from unintentional falls while in public. I think maybe we need some context here, better context. If in the injury and death stats you account for those who were not wearing a helmet and who were drinking and riding which are both completely illegal and not what the average rider would ever consider doing you will get a much different view of the sport. Heck nearly 40,000 Golfers a year are admitted to hospitals for injuries most of which result from head injuries. I think as a whole, considering a snowmobiler is controlling a 500 pound machine with a 100-175hp engine, we all do a pretty good job. Just because the 1% gets all the press doesn’t mean the 99% who do it right are part of a sport needing an overhaul. Wear a helmet, don’t drink and ride and ride within your limits, you do that (and besides the freak accidents that even happen in everything from bird watching to gardening) you’ll be alrigh

Archived