Trails Opening-Interactive guide

rockerdan

As of 2013 91% of Canadians had accessed the Internet. The highest access in the world.

2012 it was 83% so I suspect the 2014 and 2015 numbers would be up as well.

I would also suspect the 9% of Canadians who haven't accessed the Internet are likely towards the end of their lives or possibly just staring them.

I can't see how it makes sense to make permits available to the literal handful of people who dont or won't access the net.

The key word is had. That doesn't mean they did it from home. How many of them use that access as part of their jobs. I would guess a lot of people believe they have but actually haven't. You wouldn't believe how many people in business THINK they are using the internet but are in fact only using the internal systems where they work. The number of people who are computer savvy are indeed growing rapidly however calls to IT help desks still show how little many people still know.

Some oldie but goodie calls to a help desk that really did happen

When they first brought out CD readers you would be amazed the number of people that thought it was a coffee cup holder

The screen tells me to press any key to continue but I can't see the ANY key on the keyboard

Way back keyboards were metal chasis and at times the keys would stick. The solution was pick it up 2 or 3 inches and drop it on the desk. One of the helpdesk techs got a call from a manager asking what they told the user. She was basically throwing the keyboard to the floor from waist high since the key was still sticking

The PC won't power up... is it plugged in.... okay thanks.

I acknowledge the number of people with internet access continues to grow but to tell someone that is the only choice they have is just wrong. How about we shut down the bank branches and just tell everyone to go online. Or forget about talking to a live person for your insurance altogether and just do it online

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key word is had. That doesn't mean they did it from home. How many of them use that access as part of their jobs. I would guess a lot of people believe they have but actually haven't. You wouldn't believe how many people in business THINK they are using the internet but are in fact only using the internal systems where they work. The number of people who are computer savvy are indeed growing rapidly however calls to IT help desks still show how little many people still know.

When they first brought out CD readers you would be amazed the number of people that thought it was a coffee cup holder

The screen tells me to press any key to continue but I can't see the ANY key on the keyboard

Way back keyboards were metal chasis and at times the keys would stick. The solution was pick it up 2 or 3 inches and drop it on the desk. One of the helpdesk techs got a call from a manager asking what they told the user. She was basically throwing the keyboard to the floor from waist high since the key was still sticking

I acknowledge the number of people with internet access continues to grow but to tell someone that is the only choice they have is just wrong. How about we shut down the bank branches and just tell everyone to go online. Or forget about talking to a live person for your insurance altogether and just do it online

great story.

Many companies are shutting down live service, snail mail, etc. Big companies.

91% of Canadians had accessed tell Internet, these are facts. Has nothing to do with whether they thought they did lol.

97% of those people accessed at home...

These stats are all readily available

Drill that down to the 100,000 permit holders and you have a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

Also, Those who refuse to use the Internet to purchase know someone who would.

It is ridiculous to cater to such a small group of riders.

I heard the farmer became tired of sledders riding on his property outside the staked trail.

That is happening ever where. No respect from some sledders. We have huge problems here too.

That is happening ever where. No respect from some sledders. We have huge problems here too.

You just knew it was going to happen at some point, every year you see tracks everywhere despite the poles, fencing, at one point during the season someone got there sled buried in his field and left it there, I am surprised he didn't take a shot gun to it.

Now thanks to these azzhats we will have to road run or avoid that area to get around it. Can't blame the farmer, at least he is giving the club lake access, could have been worse.

You just knew it was going to happen at some point, every year you see tracks everywhere despite the poles, fencing, at one point during the season someone got there sled buried in his field and left it there, I am surprised he didn't take a shot gun to it.

Now thanks to these azzhats we will have to road run or avoid that area to get around it. Can't blame the farmer, at least he is giving the club lake access, could have been worse.

Yes its always been a bad area for sleds off trail riding. So will the trail run down aspdin and etwell road now? and do you know the location of the new staging area on etwell road? 

Im heading up to my cabin next Thursday till monday let me know if your around and we'll try and get out for a ride if things are starting to open in the area. I replied to you're PM but I think you were busy getting ready to leave for you're trip. 

I started a thread the other night, then removed it because I didn't want to cause a problem by naming names. Not an identical situation to the Trail 88 farmer, above, but similar lack of respect for private land.

Here are the general facts though:

Our family has an old farm on the outskirts of Gravenhurst. It is located on a secondary road, about a kilometer from the nearest OFSC trail. We use it to grow hay for my brother's small cattle herd. I don't know the details, but I know he plowed it and seeded it this fall. We never snowmobile or ATV on the fields, and are successful most years in keeping the trespassers off the farm. This past weekend, though, I sledded along the road and was surprised, disappointed, and annoyed to find three truck and trailer combos parked on the road along our fence, and the forty acres totally crisscrossed with snowmobile tracks. Five sledders from the Uxbridge area had spent the afternoon ripping hell out of the snow covered field. I hollered and waved them over.

They were quite polite as I yelled at them. (Not my most composed moment.) They said they "thought" it would be ok to snowmobile on the property, because they had ATV'd on it in the summer (this solved the mystery of Who put ruts in the field a few months ago.) In fact, they said they had driven up from Uxbridge with the express intention of snowmobiling on our fields. After I calmed down a bit, they explained to me that they would not have done any of this if they had seen "no trespassing" signs. I guess the old fence, and the nicely painted gates weren't enough of a hint. I guess the general idea of respecting private property was not foremost in their minds. I wonder how they would have reacted if I had suggested I ride their sleds or take their trucks for a drive without permission? No signs on them saying "private property". I reiterate that the young sledders were very polite and cooperative when I confronted them, and were quite willing to leave the property in search of other places to snowmobile.

We have had signs on the fields in the past, but they disappeared over time. There was also quite a growth of trees along the fence in the past, but the Hydro company removed them recently to clear the land around their pole line. This left a very noticeable gap beside the gate, a gap that had been concealed with evergreens for the past few years. My brother said he'd take a day off this week and put up new signs. Meanwhile, the fields are now quite attractive to passing sledders, who will be tempted to follow the zillion tracks onto the field and make it even worse.

Rant over, for now, at least.

Some photos:

post-22473-0-50678000-1452122819_thumb.jpg
post-22473-0-63151000-1452122837_thumb.jpg
post-22473-0-46479000-1452122856_thumb.jpg
post-22473-0-47741900-1452122879_thumb.jpg
post-22473-0-93988600-1452122903_thumb.jpg
post-22473-0-11236500-1452123178_thumb.jpg

Yes its always been a bad area for sleds off trail riding. So will the trail run down aspdin and etwell road now? and do you know the location of the new staging area on etwell road? 

Im heading up to my cabin next Thursday till monday let me know if your around and we'll try and get out for a ride if things are starting to open in the area. I replied to you're PM but I think you were busy getting ready to leave for you're trip. 

Correct, trail as you mentioned, The staging area is the Groomer Building down Etwell, It will be well marked and quite a big parking area, I took a drive there a few weeks ago, its about 3kms down if I remember correctly.

I am off next Friday and will certainly be riding somewhere next Friday and Sunday.

Nunz

Correct, trail as you mentioned, The staging area is the Groomer Building down Etwell, It will be well marked and quite a big parking area, I took a drive there a few weeks ago, its about 3kms down if I remember correctly.

I am off next Friday and will certainly be riding somewhere next Friday and Sunday.

Nunz

Ok stay in touch. Im out by Sprucedale so hopefully the seguin is open by then and ADSC trails. 

Ok stay in touch. Im out by Sprucedale so hopefully the seguin is open by then and ADSC trails. 

Sounds good, I am really hoping the trails towards Kearney, Silversands or Edgewater might be open possibly, that would be a nice little ride...

Sounds good, I am really hoping the trails towards Kearney, Silversands or Edgewater might be open possibly, that would be a nice little ride...

They will be  :icon_snow:  Just need the snow machine to get going after the little warm spell this weekend. If not I will be trailer up to North Bay where its supposed to stay just snow over the weekend and I see the A trail is open to Deax Rivers

I started a thread the other night, then removed it because I didn't want to cause a problem by naming names. Not an identical situation to the Trail 88 farmer, above, but similar lack of respect for private land.

Here are the general facts though:

Our family has an old farm on the outskirts of Gravenhurst. It is located on a secondary road, about a kilometer from the nearest OFSC trail. We use it to grow hay for my brother's small cattle herd. I don't know the details, but I know he plowed it and seeded it this fall. We never snowmobile or ATV on the fields, and are successful most years in keeping the trespassers off the farm. This past weekend, though, I sledded along the road and was surprised, disappointed, and annoyed to find three truck and trailer combos parked on the road along our fence, and the forty acres totally crisscrossed with snowmobile tracks.

Rant over, for now, at least.

I don't want to defend these people, but folks just don't get farming anymore and don't understand the damage they are causing riding over fields. I think it was in Prince Edward County last year along one of the trails, where someone had posted a fairly large sign that described what was in the field (winter wheat) and how sleds would destroy it. I remember thinking this was a good idea.(had a picture but cam coated with freezing rain)

Dislike creating more work, but if such signs could be created by a central source for the clubs to put up along where trails are close to fields, it might help.

Dislike creating more work, but if such signs could be created by a central source for the clubs to put up along where trails are close to fields, it might help.

Signs are available from a Central source and clubs do have the option to bulk purchase if they feel inclined... Winter wheat signs all over District 8.

Although in Blakes post it was mentioned the property was 1km away from the trail. Thats a far enough distance away in my opinion for it to be a private matter and not the clubs issue. However I do think it would be good club/community relations to maybe offer some signs... But at whos expense????

I agree it's certainly not a club issue. No problem buying signs from the hardware store. I just wrote what I did because it was another example of how some snowmobilers don't respect private property. Even snowmobilers transporting their sleds in trucks with farm licence plates. See my first photo. LOL

Signs are available from a Central source and clubs do have the option to bulk purchase if they feel inclined... Winter wheat signs all over District 8.

Although in Blakes post it was mentioned the property was 1km away from the trail. Thats a far enough distance away in my opinion for it to be a private matter and not the clubs issue. However I do think it would be good club/community relations to maybe offer some signs... But at whos expense????

I'm sure there are a lot of old (unusable on trails)" No Snomobiling" signs in the sign storage area at many clubs. The ones with white background black sled and red circle with red stroke through the sled. Can't be used on the trails per signage rules but very useable for private land.

Also a problem with ATVers and hunters in our case.

Places like Service Ont and banks have brick 7 morter places. They are not depending on volunteers to handle their money. That's the concern with MTO. Its their permit and they call the shots and they say all online. So that's what it will be in the future.

Every kid today that rides a sled has a smart phone and can and does connect to the internet. People are just so afraid of change.

Places like Service Ont and banks have brick 7 morter places. They are not depending on volunteers to handle their money. That's the concern with MTO. Its their permit and they call the shots and they say all online. So that's what it will be in the future.

Every kid today that rides a sled has a smart phone and can and does connect to the internet. People are just so afraid of change.

I did suggest that Service Ontario be an option for those who don't have internet and don't forget that to purchase online its not just a matter of access to internet through say wifi at Tims you also need an email address and a mobile device to access that wifi. Sure kids tend to have a smart phone but its not time yet to pull the plug on those that don't have access. Its easy to assume everyone fits the urbanite model but its not reality

I did suggest that Service Ontario be an option for those who don't have internet and don't forget that to purchase online its not just a matter of access to internet through say wifi at Tims you also need an email address and a mobile device to access that wifi. Sure kids tend to have a smart phone but its not time yet to pull the plug on those that don't have access. Its easy to assume everyone fits the urbanite model but its not reality

Online only is next year. The decision has been made..Plugs been pulled, like I said in an earlier post reply other options are being investigated.

Your beating a dead horse....

thanks  Nunz....wow this is terrible.....That is our shortcut from mary to vernon, now looks like will have to run D all the time....

I dont ever recall seeing anyone go off there, as it was marked/fenced pretty much the past many seasons....But it seems like this always happens, the previous one that really hurt is my ride down to BB from Port....they closed that a few yrs back and have to run that stretch of falkenburg road now....sucks when its a low snow yr bad.

Dan

yrs ago before trail ever went across farmers field to the left after tracks....I think we used to just cross track, stay on that little rd straight and I thought it dead ended down at the lake, or darn close.....is there not a way to just get onto lake there?   Im guessing not otherwise club would have just gone that way.

Dan

It looks like the road follows down and around to trail....red star is the farm, i put a blue line on rd, anyone know if this rd is rideable down around to trail?   I would guess not.   Darn this is gonna suck.

post-23178-0-37660700-1452146553_thumb.jpg

About 7 yrs ago, a bunch of us were radar running on Vernon...we all parked trailers in this little rd past farm on left...and we rode down that rd to lake, Im fairly certain if my memory is correct, that you can just ride that rd to lake....but maybe someone built in there and now you cannot?  Otherwise im guessing club would just have us run straight down to lake.  Ill drive over there this week in truck to check it out.

here is satellite shot, lots of trees but you can see rd goes down to lake, that was where we unloaded sleds yrs back and got on lake.

post-23178-0-88440900-1452147346_thumb.jpg

Let's hope you're on to something!

Archived