Helmets??

shawnj

Looking around for new helmets.  Been to several dealers and have seen many models.  I have experience with the Zox modular currently.  Looking for a new one.   Want something with electric shield and another modular, in around the $250 price range.   Does anyone have any experience with either of these makes, ZOAN, FXR, CKX, ??   Some of theme I didn't really like the chin curtain/breathe deflector they had for them.  The pc that sat on the nose seemed way too low, and they were fastened via snaps vs velcro.  The one I have currently I can take the nose pc and raise it or lower it depending on how I want it to sit on my nose.  May have to take a trip to Royal in order to try a variety of them on in the same place, for comparison. 

Looking around for new helmets.  Been to several dealers and have seen many models.  I have experience with the Zox modular currently.  Looking for a new one.   Want something with electric shield and another modular, in around the $250 price range.   Does anyone have any experience with either of these makes, ZOAN, FXR, CKX, ??   Some of theme I didn't really like the chin curtain/breathe deflector they had for them.  The pc that sat on the nose seemed way too low, and they were fastened via snaps vs velcro.  The one I have currently I can take the nose pc and raise it or lower it depending on how I want it to sit on my nose.  May have to take a trip to Royal in order to try a variety of them on in the same place, for comparison. 

I would look at the GMAX 64S, Give Bill at Rosseau Road a call and his prices and service is second to none.

Nunz

I would look at the GMAX 64S, Give Bill at Rosseau Road a call and his prices and service is second to none.

Nunz

X2!

Also looking for a ladies helmet.   I also may of put this in the wrong area, I thought I was in the tech ? area.  

I don't think either of the places we've looked had the GMAX, but I will look into that for sure.

I agree with Mr. Nunz.  With a $250 budget, the GM64 modular is the best out there.  Not sure if the 64s is still available. It looks like maybe it's been replaced by the GM64 Carbide.  If you can find a deal on one to get the price down, the BRP Modular 3 is worth trying on. 

I agree with Mr. Nunz.  With a $250 budget, the GM64 modular is the best out there.  Not sure if the 64s is still available. It looks like maybe it's been replaced by the GM64 Carbide.  If you can find a deal on one to get the price down, the BRP Modular 3 is worth trying on. 

I think Factory Rec in Midland had them on sale...

I went and looked at the BRP modular at local ski doo dealer.  Nice helmet, close to 400 with electric shield for black.

I also just stopped at local Yamaha dealer, and they have some Zox and Hjc helmets.  The price for a modular Zox with electric is about 260 plus tax.  Ive seen so many different helmets and prices Im starting to forget one from the other.  I think its now really down to what kind feels the most comfortable, and adjust the budget accordingly.   If Royal carried the Gmax, I may check them out and try a few on.  I did a search on them and read a few reviews so far.  Like anything, you hear lots of different opinions and have to sometimes bite the bullet.  The built in sun visor is a cool feature Im starting to notice on various brands.  The one thing Im not really liking is the breathe deflector.  The last yr model of the Zox seems better than this years, as far as the deflector Im talking about, imo.  

My wife and I have and have had the BRP modular for some time

post-21351-0-67725300-1449960659_thumb.png

the breath deflector has meant we haven't needed a heated shield, it has the inner slide down sun shield. The breath deflector is a soft rubber that molds to your face well and vents out the sides of the modular portion of the helmet.

post-21351-0-66835100-1449960673_thumb.png

For the real cold days it includes a nylon covered foam neck warmer that goes onto the breath deflector comes up the sides to protect the upper portions of your cheeks and then down under your jacket. The idea of a heated shield is great but from the experience of others I have ridden with be sure to have a good breath deflector with you just in case the heated shield quits working. I rode back with a friend one day that his visor quit and for him it was a very long slow ride with a very cold face having the face shield open.

I went and looked at the BRP modular at local ski doo dealer.  Nice helmet, close to 400 with electric shield for black.

I also just stopped at local Yamaha dealer, and they have some Zox and Hjc helmets.  The price for a modular Zox with electric is about 260 plus tax.  Ive seen so many different helmets and prices Im starting to forget one from the other.  I think its now really down to what kind feels the most comfortable, and adjust the budget accordingly.   If Royal carried the Gmax, I may check them out and try a few on.  I did a search on them and read a few reviews so far.  Like anything, you hear lots of different opinions and have to sometimes bite the bullet.  The built in sun visor is a cool feature Im starting to notice on various brands.  The one thing Im not really liking is the breathe deflector.  The last yr model of the Zox seems better than this years, as far as the deflector Im talking about, imo.  

zox is junk

I don't really mind my Zox.  Have had it likey 5 years now. Use it with a different visor on the bike in the summer as well.  I rarely ever had to use the electric visor.   A bit heavier than some other models I feel.  Not quite the same feel as an HJC though.  I wonder if the Zox and the Gmax are comparable in as far as quality?  I have heard of some of the Zox models being very drafty.  

HOW'S YOUR HELMET ?

(New board game, but not sure if it's about snowmobile helmets or other things.)

post-22473-0-53461300-1449962083_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-68146400-1449962094_thumb.jpg

I don't really mind my Zox.  Have had it likey 5 years now. Use it with a different visor on the bike in the summer as well.  I rarely ever had to use the electric visor.   A bit heavier than some other models I feel.  Not quite the same feel as an HJC though.  I wonder if the Zox and the Gmax are comparable in as far as quality?  I have heard of some of the Zox models being very drafty.  

Last year over a dozen zox were abandoned at our store in favour of the GMAX 64 all feedback was great 

• 4 weeks later...

Buddy used BRP Modular for years no fogging but those vents tended to freeze up on real cold days he had to ensure they didn't clog up.

For me they appear unsanitary like a toilet plunger strapped to your face

Buddy used BRP Modular for years no fogging but those vents tended to freeze up on real cold days he had to ensure they didn't clog up.

For me they appear unsanitary like a toilet plunger strapped to your face

I replace the felt that collects the moisture regularly and wash the rest of it regularly. It's only your condensed breath and unless you're coughing and sneezing probably not too bad or any worse than any of those Velcro in place breath deflectors that exhaust your breath down past your chin and out the bottom of the helmet that I have seen.

I've never had mine freeze up even last winter when it was real cold.

I replace the felt that collects the moisture regularly and wash the rest of it regularly. It's only your condensed breath and unless you're coughing and sneezing probably not too bad or

any worse than any of those Velcro in place

breath deflectors that exhaust your breath down

past your chin and out the bottom of the helmet

that I have seen.

I've never had mine freeze up even last winter when it was real cold.

My dad has brp bv2s. No issue with the vent freezing solid, does get some ice though. My modular can freeze solid and I have to stop and use a screw driver to clear the tubes out. Only happens when in minus 30's. Changing the mask is key and I wipe it dry with napkins and dry out while eating lunch. I carry a spare mask for both helmets too, just in case.

Apparently the modular freezing can be prevented by putting vaseline in the tubes ... never tried myself.

Got a modular 3 last year, repaired one snap on the breath deflector. Awesome otherwise and minimal freezing shield issues caused by too tall windshield and not enough air flow on it. I do find the flip down sun visor a bit too dark for my liking, the amber BV2S visor is a direct fit.

Apparently the modular freezing can be prevented by putting vaseline in the tubes ... never tried myself.

Got a modular 3 last year, repaired one snap on the breath deflector. Awesome otherwise and minimal freezing shield issues caused by too tall

windshield and not enough air flow on it. I do

find the flip down sun visor a bit too dark for my

liking, the amber BV2S visor is a direct fit.

Won't Vaseline eat rubberish tubes and weaken them?

Depends on the rubber .....

Depends on the rubber .....

The masks last about 5 years and then need replacing. I find they dry out and crack on the sealing edge and stretch. Had fogging issues a few years ago and new mask fixed it.

The masks last about 5 years and then need replacing. I find they dry out and crack on the sealing edge and stretch. Had fogging issues a few years ago and new mask fixed it.

Mine mask is about 10 years old and the only thing I have ever had to replace is the white absorbent pads for it. Last year I had some material similar to the sham-wow stuff and cut my own absorbent pads. It seemed to work well.

HOW'S YOUR HELMET ?

(New board game, but not sure if it's about snowmobile helmets or other things.)

And for something completely different, yet somehow related:

post-19713-0-79013900-1452425114_thumb.p

post-19713-0-60338000-1452425125_thumb.j

And for something completely different, yet somehow related:

attachicon.gifmouthpiece.png

attachicon.gifdodge ram.jpg

get your mind out of the gutter.... we need snow.

Archived