Northern Trip

mgooding

Hi,

I am thinking of making a trip up to Wawa around New Years if there is not snow in the Kawartha area.  

First off, do you think the trails will be open up there by then?

Second, what are good spots to stay at and ride to (we ride long days and down to do 200-300 kms)?

Thanks

They should be open, a normally would be, however this year so far the weather all over is pretty unsettling. As far as accommodations, the Wawa Motor is the biggest and most high end. Chalets are your best bet as they are 2 bedroom units with kitchens and very nice fireplaces. Also on the list in town is the Algoma Motel and the Beaver, both are smaller, less facilities than the WMH. Outside town my fav is High Falls Motel & Cabins on HWY17 about 5 miles south towards SSM. 

The wawa motor in is the place to stay in WAWA, u will have no trouble for 2-300km rides daily every trail is a good ride in that area. You must and I mean must make your way south to half way heaven for sure. Will trails be open ?????? No idea with this weather we're having ????

They should be open, a normally would be, however this year so far the weather all over is pretty unsettling. As far as accommodations, the Wawa Motor is the biggest and most high end. Chalets are your best bet as they are 2 bedroom units with kitchens and very nice fireplaces. Also on the list in town is the Algoma Motel and the Beaver, both are smaller, less facilities than the WMH. Outside town my fav is High Falls Motel & Cabins on HWY17 about 5 miles south towards SSM. 

I like High Falls Motel as well, but it is not open in the winter. :( About the only motels open in that area a bit further south are the Mystic Isle and the White Fang. Neither are map advertisers. I have sent emails to the Parkway, which is in the same area, but have received no reply as to their winter status.

Also, look at RMR in D'ville.

As for the weather - looking dim at this point. Frankly looking at Newfoundland and New Brunswick as possible plan b's - not afraid to trailer.

We have planned to go to Kap for New Years but if there is no snow there we will likely head towards Wawa, Off for 4 days through New Years and if there is snow somewhere we will be there...

I am optimistically hoping for the best and may be willing to drive. I have been working on one of our customer accounts for the last few months and just found out they shut down Dec 21 for 2 weeks. I've been doing 10 to 12 hour days for some time now so I can do those two weeks off as well.

Thus far on the North Shore of Superior, the snow is a No-show. We had some ice forming, but have had +6 temps the last few days, which is setting things back again. Not looking good right now.

We have planned to go to Kap for New Years but if there is no snow there we will likely head towards Wawa, Off for 4 days through New Years and if there is snow somewhere we will be there...

Do not despair too soon Nunz.....The Northern Corridor Does Not Disappoint now who was it that said that?

I like High Falls Motel as well, but it is not open in the winter. :(

I did not know that, the last time I stayed at the HFM was September 2011 on the way to fly in fishing out of Hawk Junction. Figured they would be open year round. Too bad, great owners and a nice spot

i wouldnt put all your eggs in one basket. we drove from the soo to wawa, and on to dubreuilville today. no snow, from the soo to wawa, very little in dub, and only right near, and in town. ice is forming on the smaller lakes but, warm temps are forcasted for the next 10 days. even with a HUGE dump of snow, it will be near impossible to have the trails groomed, brushed, listed open at christmas or new years in this area.

the holidays are when everyone has time off work to share with family and friends, including the volunteers that open the trails. will the clubs and communities do everything they can to open the trails if there is rideable snow? YES! will there be enough snow, ice, and the swamps and water crossings frozen safe enough to groom and ride sleds???? that is to be determined but, i wouldnt plan on premium mid season riding, and trail conditions for this region, this year, for the holidays.

put it this way... we are at December 5th now, if conditions were perfect and it got cold and froze stuff up, and the snows came, starting today... the trails might be open and limited. with another 10 days of + weather forecasted, don't expect the trails to open here in your time frame.

I am not trying to be a downer, just a realist. we have a house on the trail in dub, I want snow, and want to see the trails open but, I just don't see it happening for the holidays.

Ski

Let's hope for the best boys!! Not to be a Debbie downer, but my brother just got back from our cabin west of liskeard and there is a wee bit of wet snow on the ground and there is absolutely no frost. Our back lake he said has 2" of ice but the mighty Montreal river is flowing freely. Gonna either pack the sleds or the wheelers for Christmas break grouse hunt with my boy and a few buds. Hope it's sleds though!!

Thanks for the update Ski. Dub area treated me well late last season, so hopefully it will last until April again.

I did not know that, the last time I stayed at the HFM was September 2011 on the way to fly in fishing out of Hawk Junction. Figured they would be open year round. Too bad, great owners and a nice spot

Great spot indeed - liked the vertically constructed log cabins and good prices. We had been staying there for years - when the new owners took over - they came from around the French River area I believe - they tried staying open the first winter, but I guess it did not pay off to do so.

In the "you never know what's going to happen weather wise" category, was reminded of how district 1 trails opened during Christmas and New Year's time when all else on the Interactive Map was closed or close to it - was the year of the ice storm. Sudden cold and a blizzard allowed district 1 clubs the opportunity to take advantage of their relatively flat terrain to get trails open. In this post, I was a couple of days behind sledjunk getting out there for a few very good riding days.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10678-around-vars-district-1-curds-festival-still-on-despite-fire/?hl=vars

I think Groomer Guy has a FB page he keeps update about the area. Sad to say it may be a green Christmas.

RR

ravinrat, GG does update his facebook page and BlogSpot pages, to show the current weather, and updates. I too own property in Dubreuilville, and with us going up almost every weekend since the end of june, I have a pretty good idea what is going on there too. :D LOL! Ski

Hello Guys, Skidooboy  (Eric) is right,  Trails will not be open for xmas for sure, Unless things turns around quickly with a pile of snow and some cold.,  I haven't written off New Years yet but you can take out xmas out of the picture.   Like Eric said it's hard to get things ready at that time of year as people spend time with family.   I will try to visit more and update you guys.  you can follow my facebook and Blog for more live updates.  your best direct updated info is on my Twitter feed,  Twitter  @TheGroomerguy   Blog  http://groomerguy.blogspot.ca/  Facebook /www.facebook.com/thegroomerguy/   I'm on Instagram  and Snapchat.......lol 

I paid for my permit and if there is snow on the ground the people should be out doing their jobs getting the trails rideable. Not hanging out with friends and family just because its Christmas :-)

I paid for my permit and if there is snow on the ground the people should be out doing their jobs getting the trails rideable. Not hanging out with friends and family just because its Christmas :-)

Heard that one before, Got into full out argument with a guy for the same thing... told him to frig off and hoped he runs off the trail and hit a tree the next time he was out....   I never heard from him again.... I guess my wish came true.

Riders like this make me sad.

Riders like this make me sad.

They are always the ones that give it full throttle out of the corner on a freshly groomed trail and then bitch about how torn up the trail is late in the day!

Archived