Ice Scratchers

DaveTess

As some of you know Tess and I are new to Ski Doo. We're looking forward to new season on our new 2016 Grand Touring SE.

My question is this. We ran a set of Cable Ice Scratchers on our Touring Yamaha's in the past and most recently on our 2011 Venture we sold last year and got good wear out of the sliders.

Want to put a set on the new doo but not sure what to put on.

Don't want the hard stiff ones tha Ski Doo offers because we learned the hard way with our first set when backing up and you forget there down. Da.... bent to crap.

The cable ones let us go forward or back with now problem.

We got them from Central Ontario Polaris but I cant remember the manufacture.

Any thoughts?

Get the brp spring loaded ones. You can go in reverse and not break them. They have lots of pressure to keep a constant spray. Fold up out of way when not in use.

Doo had a set of scratchers that mounted to the bottom of the running boards, may be what Viper is refering to (?). Only negative thing I read is that some complained they caused vibrations.... Not sure if they are still available though.

I have considered adding scratcher as well, and have pretty much decided to go with the Duraflex if I do. Need them on a trip in the U.P. (no studs at the time), and want to be ready if it happens again.

Congrats on the new sled!

Doo has a couple of different scratchers. One mounts up by the running boards and the other on the rails. I think both are ok if you reverse. Lots of options.

I've found that Blizzers work well.

I've used both Duraflex and Trail Blizzers. I prefer the Duraflex as they are a bit more versatile in mounting location. Goggle up Cable ice scratchers and they both come up. Added the links.

I have the Duraflex on my 137" track Renegade and they work quite well. If I had seen the Blizzers before hand, I might have purchased them as they have the additional "anchor" bolt which would prevent any twisting. The Duraflex's have not had a problem in this regard however. Sourced them from Orps Parts in Newmarket - http://www.orpsparts.com/

http://www.orpsparts.com/scratchers-detail.htm?productId=-528067&shopBy=-18553&catalogId=-7707

Ditto on the blizzers for the anchor points.  We've got 'em on both sleds, great for sliders and extra cooling on hard icy trails.  

Yup Thats them. Worked great.

just remember, when using cable type scratchers, in the off season, store them down, not up on the rail. if you leave them up all the time, the cable will "take a set"... and not provide as much downforce as when new.

there are spring type scratchers that have ends on them that flip up when reversed.

we have both styles. Lynne has cables, I have steel. the pressure issue and spray is the big difference in how they work.

personally I prefer the solid spring over the cable scratchers. more downforce, more spray, better cooling and hyfax life.

I found if you put a Velcro strip around your reverse button controller, when you have the spring steel scratchers deployed, you will have a reminder not to back up without lifting them. also... for spring steel scratchers... stop, and put them up BEFORE crossing rail road tracks. for some reason, when they hit the beams on the tracks, it makes a weak spot, and will break at the bend, if ridden over a set of tracks.

took me about 3 sets to figure that one out. Ski

Yup, gotta hook em up when crossing tracks ... first ride out with mine and they snagged the rail of the track, snapped the mounting bolts off instantly ..... just 2 bolts to replace but pretty bloody insulting !

Yup, gotta hook em up when crossing tracks ... first ride out with mine and they snagged the rail of the track, snapped the mounting bolts off instantly ..... just 2 bolts to replace but pretty

bloody insulting !

Ok crossing paved roads too?

Yup asphalt is no problem. ... carbide tips on the blizzers so not an issue. Rail crossings no problem with a buildup of snow on the road , as long as you cross at speed.

Has anyone used the rail mounted spring ones like the new skidoo ones.  Need to get a set for the summit for riding on the trails. Trying to decide between the rail mounted spring ones or the cable ones.  I have the running board mounted ones on my old RMK and thew work well but are loud and create lots of vibration.  

Had them on my MXZ last year. No issues with them. They worked well.

Matt, the rail-mounted ones are ok, good for jumping on/off trail, they don't stick out too far, and you can back up with them without damage.  I highly recommend adding 2 sets of idlers to your sled, as you'll smoke the sliders in no time on the trail, even with scratchers (if there aren't any between the rails already, some models have them and some don't).  

If you're going to do lots of tight quarters with bush and branches, the Doo spring-type rail mounts are good, as they just clear the track edge, whereas the cables hang out a bit more, and might snag up more.  If you plan on more trail and less bush, I'd go cables, they  throw lots of snow and chunks up.

I've used the spring type for years, without any issue.

However I mounted them on the inside of the ski's! Seem to work better there.

post-22639-0-86225500-1447334887_thumb.jpg

post-22639-0-07310000-1447334889_thumb.jpg

Bigfish,

Nice pics! I have considered the ski mounted option as well.... Just not sure which gives the best results???

Matt, the rail-mounted ones are ok, good for jumping on/off trail, they don't stick out too far, and you can back up with them without damage.  I highly recommend adding 2 sets of idlers to your sled, as you'll smoke the sliders in no time on the trail, even with scratchers (if there aren't any between the rails already, some models have them and some don't).  

If you're going to do lots of tight quarters with bush and branches, the Doo spring-type rail mounts are good, as they just clear the track edge, whereas the cables hang out a bit more, and might snag up more.  If you plan on more trail and less bush, I'd go cables, they  throw lots of snow and chunks up.

Thanks Denis others, I will probably go with the rail mounted ones.  I enjoy hopping off the trail whenever I am able to as well as to use the machine down some of the small trails to fishing lakes around here.  The skid has 2 sets of 2 idlers between the rails but nothing outside the rails.  Should i consider some idlers outside the rails (can/should they even be installed with the T-Motion and flex edge track).  I recognize the summit will never be an optimum option on the trails, the joys of only being able to have one sled to do everything from playing in powder to trail riding to back lake fishing. 

No option for idlers on the outside of the rails. No problem with 4 wheels and scratchers. ... trail ride as you wish !!!

Okay Ladies and Gents I have found these.

http://www.straightlineperformance.com/snowmobile/straightlines-performance-ice-scratcher-16-inch-part-185-102/

Straightline’s “Performance” Ice Scratcher

The only true ice scratcher that uses a production

carbide replaceable tip.

- Uses “official” custom carbide studs built by Woodys.

- Full stainless wire rope and ends for lifetime use.

- Designed to be run down at all times, but can be

mounted on the rails if needed.

- Replaceable and affordable carbide scratcher tip.

- Large mounting base to avoid rail wear.

-Long version for bulkhead, A-arm, or ski mounting to aid in cooling.

- Long version recommended as a rail mount for all mountain sleds with 150+ inch tracks to aid in cooling.

-Short version for rail mounting on tracks under 140 inches.

-sold in pairs (matched sets), same price for both sizes.

Really like the way they attach to the A Arm and spray up. A lot like the Yamaha ones did.

Thoughts. I really am going into this sled blind and need all the guidance we can get.

Thanks

post-22413-0-80081600-1447941724_thumb.jpg

Ski mounting is a good idea. It prevents them from bouncing and landing on your track and tearing the edge to pieces. Talked to a rider at the hotel last year and this happened to him.

Okay Ladies and Gents I have found these.

http://www.straightlineperformance.com/snowmobile/straightlines-performance-ice-scratcher-16-inch-part-185-102/

Straightline’s “Performance” Ice Scratcher

The only true ice scratcher that uses a production

carbide replaceable tip.

- Uses “official” custom carbide studs built by Woodys.

- Full stainless wire rope and ends for lifetime use.

- Designed to be run down at all times, but can be

mounted on the rails if needed.

- Replaceable and affordable carbide scratcher tip.

- Large mounting base to avoid rail wear.

-Long version for bulkhead, A-arm, or ski mounting to aid in cooling.

- Long version recommended as a rail mount for all mountain sleds with 150+ inch tracks to aid in cooling.

-Short version for rail mounting on tracks under 140 inches.

-sold in pairs (matched sets), same price for both sizes.

Really like the way they attach to the A Arm and spray up. A lot like the Yamaha ones did.

Thoughts. I really am going into this sled blind and need all the guidance we can get.

Thanks

Those look interesting, Dave...looks like a preferable mounting spot, as it's likely both more effective than running boards or rails, and avoids having to drill holes in your skid rails.  Any idea where they are available in Canada?...I followed the link in your post, to their web-site, and they provide zero information on where their authorized dealers are located.

And BTW, I can tell you from 4 seasons' worth (almost 13,000 kms) of riding experience on a 1200 GSX SE (which had the same auxiliary front-mounted rad & fan as your new GT SE does) that I never came close to an overheat situation.  Typical running temp was 3 bars on the gauge, and only very rarely did it go up to 4 bars, in warm weather with minimal loose snow, or extreme cold weather on ice or hard pack (no lube), or if a long "dry" (hard pack) road run was required between trail sections.  I can't recall ever seeing 5 bars on the gauge, because the fan would kick in before that happened.  So I wouldn't worry about overheating, but the ice scratchers are a good idea to keep your sliders lubed in marginal conditions.      

Archived