Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

It can only continue to look better and better... bring on the snow.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just on FB with Halfway Haven.  They are reporting heavy snowfall this evening.  8 cm (3 inches) on the ground as of 5:40 pm.

32 cms of snow at Halfway Haven

Sean @ Halfway Haven sent me these photos.  32 cm of snow at Halfway so far and the storm is expected to last 2 more days.

post-22452-0-00037800-1448052706_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-54939100-1448052715_thumb.jpg

Awesome!

I was speaking to my brother in the Sault the other day and he was gloating about how warm it was and that he figured that he wouldn't see snow this year.  Glad he is wrong!

I labelled this map this morning for the Sault Trailblazers website. It helps visualize where the pockets of snow are.  Depth averages about 8", with some locations closer to 12".  The picture of snow is from Searchmont this morning.  The 3rd is the lake effect streamer view.

post-22452-0-48790000-1448115364_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-15755400-1448115371_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-92715400-1448115375_thumb.jpg

An updated map I put together as of Nov 21st p.m.  

We are snowmobiling Frater tomorrow with our backup sleds.  An attempt to enjoy every opportunity before the meltdown.

post-22452-0-34988500-1448157047_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-64393700-1448157061_thumb.jpg

We are snowmobiling Frater tomorrow with our backup sleds.  An attempt to enjoy every opportunity before the meltdown.

Love the sled!

We are snowmobiling Frater tomorrow with our backup sleds. An attempt to enjoy every opportunity before the meltdown.

Way to go Dan! Let us know how it goes. I'd love to hear about your excursion, and so would 02Sled. He gets a tremendous kick out of hearing from folks who sled when he can't.

Let us know how the ride goes. I am in Montreal for the next 3 weeks. It will be nice to knoww someone is having fun. I don't enjoy MontreaL. Driving is crazy

Thinking of you 02Sled.  Bad timing and hope that Montreal gig goes by quick.  Here's a few photos from today's ride to Eton from Frater.

post-22452-0-32982800-1448239577_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-47985000-1448239591_thumb.jpg

Our snowmobile trip to Eton, Ontario – Sunday Nov. 22nd, 2015

The initial plan was to drive into Mile 67, unload and sled to Rand, however, the snow depth map we reviewed didn’t show enough ground cover.  We scrapped the Rand plan and put Eton via Frater on the radar because the NOAA map signified that's where the deepest snow was in the entire region. 

We trailered up past Montreal River on highway 17 north to the Frater road, then into Frater, which is 8 kms off the highway.  We were warned that you cannot leave your vehicle at the corner of the highway and snowmobile in because that 8 km stretch is part of Lake Superior Park.  If the MNR or Park officials spot you, it’s a hefty fine for sure. I assume the same goes for 4 wheelers.  When we arrived in Frater, we were discouraged.  There was a mere 10 cms of snow on the ground and definitely not enough to snowmobile. However, we hadn't given up total hope because the snow map indicated Frater was visually on the borderline of a major snow-belt.  In anticipation of deeper pockets of white gold inland, we unloaded the sleds and off we went.  Well, it didn't take long, km 14 was the major change, as we climbed in elevation we could see and feel the difference.  As we continued riding, the snow kept getting deeper. 

We came across our first gray wolf of the day about the halfway point between Frater and Eton. It was running down the road in front of us, then off in to the bush it went.  I had the helmet- cam running, so was looking forward to some great footage.  Unfortunately, I neglected to fully charge the battery for the trip and unknown to me, the camera died before the wolf encounter. We also spotted a 2nd gray wolf later in the day.

As we approached the Sonny Lake road, closer to the Eton end of the route, we were literally starting to swim in fresh powder.  Obviously, it was high elevation country and in the path of the mighty Lake Superior streamers.  We stopped at the cross-over trail to Halfway Haven from Sonny Lake road and decided to give it a try.  The snow was approximately 40 cm deep at that junction and the trail looked awesome. The only tracks ahead of us were that of some 4 legged animal.  Although, we never had Halfway Haven on our sights that day, it was becoming a closer reality by the minute and a possible destination before the day was over.

Unfortunately, that came to an end when we encountered a water crossing that was more than we wanted to challenge.  Although it was likely passable, we were not willing to take the risk, so, decided to turn around and head for Eton. 

Once on the flats on the higher elevations east of Eton, we hit the motherlode, easily 45 cms and definitely a snow belt. It was an absolute blast.  We continued our trek westward into Eton, descending from the mountain highs down into the valley of the Agawa River, where we stopped at the bridge to have lunch and bask in the sun while admiring the sights of a beautiful camp right behind us. 

We gobbled down a couple of turkey sandwiches, then decided to tour the area with our sleds and snap some photos before heading back to Frater.  For those who have been to Eton, you are likely familiar with a long steep hill that is likely a Truck Driver nightmare.  Sure enough, there was an 18 wheeler logging truck that could not make the hill, even with chains on.  The driver slowly backed down to the bottom and onto the flats, parked his rig, then jumped on the back of my sled.  We chauffeured him up and outward to catch up with one of his colleagues who was waiting with a 4 x 4 truck.  We chatted for a few minutes; very nice gentlemen from Wawa, we said our goodbyes and were on our way. 

The rest of the sled trip was just beautiful heading back to Frater on a late sunny afternoon.  At km 14, we stopped on the top of the high point to try our luck with Cellphone service.  Unfortunately nothing from our Bell provider, however, a Rogers signal was coming in.  Chad was also receiving an AT&T signal, obviously from a tower somewhere in Michigan.  We had a great view of Lake Superior and line-of-sight into Michigan.

From there, it was back to the truck, loaded up and we made it home safely for dinner back in Sault Ste. Marie.

post-22452-0-11150800-1448421811_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-55000700-1448421821_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-58045400-1448421830_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-81480100-1448421837_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-81952100-1448421846_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-59886300-1448421855_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-51424500-1448421863_thumb.jpg

Very nice!  Thanks for posting the story!

Very nice!  Thanks for posting the story!

X2 thanks for sharing

Lovely report. Thank you. I look forward to retracing your route on some maps.

loved the report Dan... i know you know now but, the large amount of snow shown here the Algoma region was all but gone, on our way home yesterday. dubreuilville rec'd about 6-10" of fresh on Thursday, and bare roads when we left on Tuesday am. even at Montreal river, and frater road the snow was gone.

strange weather pattern started, and setting up. and warm temps forcasted for the next 14 days. I know one thing for sure... ofsc  open trail riding season will start later this year, than last, and may not last as long, as last season.

hope the pattern changes soon. looking forward to sledding from our home in dub.

as far as frater road parking, unless it was a recent development, every year sledders, fisherman, and camp goers, alike park at the frater road area, just off trans con 17 (by the mto garage), to access that area. i have saw many trucks and trailers parked there over the years. Ski

Thanks for the update Ski.  Congrats on the new home purchase in Dubreilville.  Sounds like a nice investment as cottage / home away from home.  I'll keep an eye out on the Frater road entrance, if others are parking there, so will we.   The Eton Bluffs were showing approximately 6 inches of snow yesterday, but the valley and out to Frater nothing.  Tomorrow's meltdown will take care of the remainder of the snow.  We might be in for a green Christmas in Sault Ste. Marie this year.   I'm heading your way tomorrow for a few days in the Lower Peninsula to soak up some sun in Traverse City.  Will chat soon.

Dan

Dan,

Have a safe trip to TC!!!

If you're looking for a "greasy spoon" with great shakes, check out Don's Drive Inn in TC.

For some great hot wings and onion rings, The Keyhole in Mackinaw City.

TY to all for the updates.... I know here in Mi it isn't looking very good either right now.

i will second the recommendation for Don's for milk shakes and old fashioned malts. Ski

There won't be any trails open in ontario the month of December will there?

For hiking.

For hiking.

Awesome atving weather. All ready to go for Xmas week if there is no snow!

We'll be riding high elevation this upcoming weekend with our backup sleds, before the next meltdown.  Damn hard to find snow this year, even at the 2000-2200' level.  

This photo is us on a stretch at the 1900' level and the photo is from a few years back.  The grass was green in the Sault and there was minimal snow at Goulais and Searchmont at the time.

post-22452-0-67695700-1450118356_thumb.jpg

An ice storm went through Halfway Haven and Highway 129 area on Wednesday December 15th. Sean indicated he has been clearing trees for the past 2 days and its nasty. Sounds like he needs some major help in there. We are sledding in from the Eton Bluffs route on Saturday with saws, but may have to turn around due to lack of snow.

Archived